Building of GREMIR HMS Onslow

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I am going to post my construction on Gremir HMS Onslow (1/200). This is my first paper model. So, please don't expect a perfect building. I hope to get many knowledge and skills when I finish this building.

First, I made a hull with 'Inkjet' printed papers. Unfortunately, I dropped some water on the bottom and tried to wipe it out. Since it is an ink-based printing, I ended up messing up the hull.

This time, I am going to build it using 'laser printed papers'. I read in many postings that the laser printed paper will suffer from 'flake off' problem. However, after I compared the quality of 'color', I decided to try. I will also try to find a way to prevent severe 'flake-off' during this building.

I will very appreciate any help, suggestion or comment, whatever.

Thanks

JN

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Here comes first picture. It was made of 'inkjet' based papers. Some of you already saw it. Yes, it is the old one with some water marks on the bottom. I wasn't satisfied with the result. So, I am going to try one more.

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Compared the hull with old one...

So far, those two seems to be the same. However, it will not....:-D

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Finished the bottom... Unfortunately, I am not satisfied with this. It is far from smoth... I accept this is my current skill level...

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
One very interesting thing. LOOK AT THESE !!! The 'laser printed' version has superior crisp color... I like it... At least, I found one reason why I have to contine this building with 'laser-printed papers'. :)

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Although the bottom was not perfect, I decide to move forward. I added the side... This time, I changed the scheme because I wanted to differentiate with the old.

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
After some thought to fix the smothness problem, I decided to paint the bottom. Well, the painting was not something I expected, but my skill level is still low. So, I thought it should be ok...

I baught a spray paint at Walmart (cheap one). I was luck in that Walmart's red 'Krylon' spray was very close to the bottom color. It is a kind of 'shinny' as you can see in the pictures.

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
This is another side (after coating with 'flat' clear). Well, 'red' paint mark !!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

My 'masking' skill was not good either. I thought I covered all area. :-D

Fortunately, this is fixable. I am going to add another layer of copy over this area with very thin paper later.

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
I coated the surface with Krylon's 'Matte Clear'.

Remark:

Previous picture was already the coated one too...

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Here is the most amazing thing to me so far. It is the comparison between 'laser-printed' and 'inkjet-printed' versions. My Inkjet color printer is not that high quality. However, the difference is so amazing to me...

Since I already coated the surface, I hope there will no the 'flake-off' problem up to here....:grin:

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Top plate attached....

Upper: Laser-printed version (new)
Down: Inkjet-printed version (old)

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Very interesting thread! I'm working on my 1:200 Hood's lower hull, and your paint job on the Onslow is really informative. Thanks for sharing!

-Ski

jnyoun

Apr 19, 2007
Gregory Shoda said:
Looks good so far, but looks like your offerings of food and beverage to the card model gods are not working.

You eat at your work desk, huh?

I am working on kitchen table, I mean 'breakfast table'. It is easy to work there and convenient to eat if I am hungry while working. :-D