Building Nomad, et al

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Timothy McCarthy, May 4, 2005.

1. Timothy McCarthy

Timothy McCarthy New Member

I have a question about a problem I've encountered a couple of times now with interpreting a model sheet. I'm new at this so bear with my explanation.

The models in question are the robot from Lost in Space and Star Trek's Nomad.

I've run up against parts that seem to be edge glued and I'm having a hard time both believing they should be and trying to do the build. In both models there is a part that is a cone section or a saucer that is to be attached to a mirrored part, inverted. (They're like the "head" of the robot, to give you a visual reference. think pie plates.) However, the edge of the connection has no saw tooth tabs so it ends up being just the edges. Even though the seam will show, you want to glue from the inside but the part is a closed surface and...argggh!

So how should you glue these together? Do you make your own tabs? How do you close the surface? Are there models that are designed to have edge joints?

Everything I've tried so far has turned out to be a loose seam or a very fragile joint. What I have been thinking about is a sort of cap that can go between the two so that there is something to glue on to. The cap would have the tabs to glue to one side and then the other would have tabs that would be attached to the cap. This works except the additional material may open the seam. I'm sure there's a way to get a strong joint and I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not reading the model correctly. I really want to do both robots properly and I've seen a couple of pictures of the completed robot but I don't know how it's done. The "Lost in Space" robot has a number of these sorts of problems, where the parts don't seem to have any surface to adhere to. The poor thing just lies on my desk in bits and pieces until the cats take after it.

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If they don't show..........sure do whatever it takes. Make tabs or strips or whatever you can get to make it work.

3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Definitely make yourself some joiner strips. The only way to make a long-lasting joint.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

blind joint

Howdy Tim,

Ok, this isnt as bad as you think it is. cut you a strip of paper long enough to run the inside dia. of the outer most edge of one of the "pie plates". I am not sure how big the model is so I cant tell you what width to cut the strip, use your own judgement, but like glue, sometimes less is more. then you will glue 1/2 of the stip (width) to 1 of the pie plates, allow to dry and apply glue to the exposed edge and then slide it inside the other "pie plate". Then, set it off somewhere nice an quiet where it wont be disturbed and can dry. Use glue sparingly, apply a thin FILM, this means run your finger over the glueall around the edge before assembly, to the point that no "liquid" shows, only tackiness remains.

*************see crude drawing below****************

hope this is of some help to you,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA(GW)
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

That's not a bad way, but it will fit better if the strip itself if creased in the middle, or both upper and lowere sides are "sawtoothed". There is also
    another option, and that is to apply glue to both edges of the seam, let it
    dry, then sand the edge at an angle all the way around, on both parts, to
    form a "sharp" edge, then glue the parts together. This would produce more sharpness to the glued edges.

Hope it helps,

6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

lots of designers (myself included) do not include the glue tabs as a general rule. models that do have them I usually end up cutting them off and butt join the parts with a glue tab from behind that covers both halfs of the model. think of it like putting a piece of clear tape to repair a wripped dollar bill.

Anyway always consider adding/removing hidden glue tabs, be creative!!!
  7. Timothy McCarthy

Interesting. It does make the intended construction more obscure. I haven't been doing this long enought to say, but I would suspect that there are many ways to make the joint, some better than others. I thought the tabs were clear indicators of the model design, as well. It didn't occur to me that they might be considered optional. I would have thought it was similar to the construction order. There are many paths but some are much better than others.

If it was a flat seam...but this isn't. The model doesn't make it clear how a number of parts are meant to be joined and this invites people like me to make spackle joints. :roll:

I hope to. Right now I want to be a bit more proficient. :roll:

8. SteveM

SteveM Member

As the designer of Nomad, I honestly can't figure out which parts you are talking about. All of the cones on Nomad have glue tabs as well as the option of using joiner strips instead of tabs.

Some of the very small parts do depend on edge glueing; there the trick is to form the little cylinder, then just barely dip the edge into a puddle of glue to form a glue "bubble" over the end.

If you can identify the part by number, I'm sure I can advise you how I built the part.

9. Timothy McCarthy

Hi Steve,

Sigh. In this case my thread subject is misleading. You are right that Nomad has tabs. (The Lost in Space one doesn't) Sorry if I mislead you here.

For Nomad the parts are 16 and 21, the cones. For the life of me I was unable to get those cones to close properly. They always sprung open. The last few tabs I was just throwing glue at them. I ended up gluing from the outside and the final seam was uneven all around. It just didn't look right.

And I can't imagine how to build the "doo-dads". The directions are very clear but the size simply defeats me. I couldn't form the parts.

I'm sure this is lack of skill with small parts and technique. But if I knew how it was done properly then I could work on it.

10. C Babbage

C Babbage New Member

Does anyone know if this NOMAD model is still avaliable anywhere for download?

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

12. SteveM

SteveM Member

And that is why I am currently in the process of moving my site to a new hosting service that should be more reliable. I think one of the problems with the current host is that I am really overstressing the FREE account in terms of both disk space and bandwidth. The new service is PAID with more space and bandwidth. Should be ready soon.