Building Nobi's A7V/U

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by rockpaperscissor, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I must echo B-Maniac's sentiments!
    You're doing an excellent job of turning an ordinary kit into an extraordinary build!
    I'm really enjoying following your progress, nice work!

2. So far, so good

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my progress on Nobi's A7V/U so those who are following this thread don't think that I've abandoned the build. I completed the subassemblies for the other side of the tank, and have joined them together to make the basic finished tank. There were no surprises on the second side. I wound up with the exact same gap as before at the front of the main gun sponson, as well as the gap on the underside of the track. Both of these are easily patched, and don't detract at all from the finished model.

Completed tank 3/4 front

Completed tank 3/4 rear

Quite a bit of the weathering is also completed. I used pastel chalks applied with a brush as the main agent. I used a scalpel to scrape off pastel powder into little piles. When the color wasn't quite what I wanted, I would scrape a second color into the pile and blend the two powders with a small chemical spatula (also my main scoring tool). Powdered pigments can be blended just as easily as paints. I would pick up a small amount of the powder on a brush and apply it to the model using a pouncing or stippling motion. Basically what is being done here is dirtying or staining the paper. I've found that it's pretty resilient, and I don't plan on sealing the model when the weathering done. I really won't be handling it much anyway. This process absolutely destroys the brush though, so don't use a good one. I used several different sizes of brushes as appropriate to the area that I was doing.

Overall shot of weathered tank

Rear of weathered tank

Closeup of weathering

I still need to highlight each rivet head with paint, and I have to decide what to do about the tracks. Do I detail them with raised grousers (two per link), do I add some paper mache "mud", do I just apply pastels to them as they are? While I've been thinking about that, further work on this project has kind of ground to a halt. I do plan on building my usual black mat board display base for the finished tank, but I will make realistic groundwork for this one, which will be covered in another post.

3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

I like your weathering :) great job...
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool, Don! The weathering is awesome! I had to look at it several times to make sure it was not the side of a real tank!!! Thanks for the explanation of the technique.

5. Thanks fellas. I look on the weathering as the "artsy" part of the project. The build process is really technical in nature. Great design job on this tank Nobi, it really goes together easily, and it's an interesting subject too. It's been a pleasure to build.