Building my own Y wing(s)

dnalor

Nope your wrong.

this is a kids toy..

And the guys at www.RPF.com went nuts about this ship..
why?

the size is 28 inch.
combo of 5 footer and 32 inch details
the proportions are better looking that the FM kit

there is only a lack of side panels..

And with some paint this could look like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

dnalor

I wished that lego falcon was mine....but it isn't :-(

it's just an example of another builder how he painted his falcon....i hope i can do that too.

mcusanelli

The Hasbro falcon is a really beautiful model, about 1/48 scale. As a toy, not much play value, but for a modeler, it is a really inexpensive way to have a super size replica with a minimum amount of work. The only dumb thing they did was to mold the landing gear as a bunch of big blocks attached to the bottom. Fortunately, the plastic is easy to cut through and replace with doors or scratchbuilt gear if you prefer it. The bottom laser cannons are molded as part of the bottom of the ship, not as nice as the top parts. But for the price, and level of detail, this thing is AWESOME!
I've removed the landing gear on mine ( got it from my kids for Xmas!) and built doors for it, as well as cutting out the cockpit glass as I intend to build an interior and put some figures in there. Eventually!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I would "Bondo" the Lego Millenium Falcon". That's cheating!

@dnalor, in the vernacular the rapper "Snoop-Doggy-Dog" would use, all I can say is this: You greebled the shizzay out of that bee-atcch, fo-shizzle! :)

dnalor

i think i'm ready with the greeble-ing...
now i have found the tubes i wanted..
it was a long search...
first i wanted to use electrical wire...great for bending...but it also bends easy when you lift up the ship.
now i found the hum...how do you call them..those sticks for electrical welding...

nice straight....VERY TOUGH for bending...

now i have to strip down the outer shell of the welding-sticks clean the iron a little...and start bending.
this is the first one..

and it looks nice i think...what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20150508_123747.jpg
    IMG_20150508_123747.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 29

starbuck

i think i'm ready with the greeble-ing...
now i have found the tubes i wanted..
it was a long search...
first i wanted to use electrical wire...great for bending...but it also bends easy when you lift up the ship.
now i found the hum...how do you call them..those sticks for electrical welding...

nice straight....VERY TOUGH for bending...

now i have to strip down the outer shell of the welding-sticks clean the iron a little...and start bending.
this is the first one..

and it looks nice i think...what do you think?
No, I don´t think that it looks nice - I think it looks PERFECT!:Bravo:

dnalor

all the tubes installed on the first y wing.
now this one is ready for final painting..
just have to figure out which colors i need.

so this y wing can go home and the other y wing can be transferd to my work -office for detailing and tubing.

Attachments

• IMG_20150519_121656.jpg
    IMG_20150519_121656.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20150519_121712.jpg
    IMG_20150519_121712.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150519_121744.jpg
    IMG_20150519_121744.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150508_123747.jpg
    IMG_20150508_123747.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20150519_121722.jpg
    IMG_20150519_121722.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

starbuck

I am gobsmacked. It is really a Beauty with so many details. And the size..... looking for the painted version. :Bravo:

P.S. don´t forget to mount the cannon on the cockpit. ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
We have this very soft aluminum wire, around 1/8th of an inch (.125") that is used for holding wire fences onto posts. I always though this would work well for exhaust pipes, and for tubes, on the outside of space ships. I don't know if you have something similar, I would imagine you do. You can see it in the picture below, it is used to hold the fence onto the tubes. It is very pliable. There are two pieces in the pic below, they are the only ones going around the top rail. :)

Metal-Fence-300x225.jpg

mcusanelli

Another nice material is aluminum armature wire and it comes in many sizes. It's soft and very easy to bend. You can get it from any good art supplier. I get mine from thecompletesculptor.com

dnalor

I have thought about it...at work we have copper wire..in different sizes..
But what i used now is nice and strong... and looks great ....

my ywings are really heavy...I will weight one of them to see how heavy they are...but I think a few kilo.
When I hold the y wing...I think the tubes/wires will bend because they are to soft.. that is why i did iron.