Building my new layout

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot everyone!! I am taking a little break from building right now. I should have photo's of the completed benchwork in a couple more hours. :D

I'm very lucky to have some "inside information" on Parkdale Yard, which before CP built their massive hump yard out in Agincourt was responsible for freight out of Ashbridges Bay and Keating Channel to the east, from the many local industries in the "Circle" and "Hill", as well as the Wharf lead which served the waterfront. It was small but very busy.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Benchwork is Done!

As promised, here are shots of the finished benchwork. First looking east towards the peninsula. Yeah, I have a lot of cleaning up to do. :rolleyes:

P1010127.jpg

Looking west from the peninsula with the yard area at the right, and the city section at the back. You can just see the edge of the peninsula at the lower left.

P1010129.jpg

Here's the infamous duck-under, which is on the south side (the bottom on the trackplan).
P1010130.jpg

And this is my buddy Roger who helped me build this. Look how fast he's working - his hands are a blur! Last time I built the benchwork solo, but it's way easier having professional help. :thumb:

roger.jpg

That's it for now. I need a shower!!

Val

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Val, it is good to hear from you again. The layout looks great. If you wanted to build a swing gate you could eliminate the duck under. If you put the hinge on the same side as the hinges on the door, it looks like the gate would swing back out of the way towards the city scene for ease of entrance. The benchwork in front of the door is very narrow looking, so it would be a prefect place to locate a gate.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for asking - actually I was able to find a little time today to re-paint the backdrop. Good thing I had lots of the original blue paint left over, but I was sad to see my lovely clouds get painted over. :cry:

Tomorrow, when the base coat is done, I am planning on re-doing the clouds. I'll be using Gavin Miller's stencil and spray method, only this time I am going to cut a couple of larger stencils to use higher up where the clouds appear "closer". I'll post some pics when I do.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Cloud Progress

Because of having to cover up cracks that opened up in the backdrop joins, I've had to re-paint the backdrop. Luckily I still had lots of my sky blue paint left over. Today I painted the clouds, and I never cease to be amazed how easy Gavin Miller's stencil method is.

Anyway, here are the results. Next step - laying the foam sub-roadbed.

Val

Attachments

• P1010149.JPG
    P1010149.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 195
  • p1010144.jpg
    p1010144.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 196
  • P1010148.JPG
    P1010148.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 193

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Hi Spitfire, long time no talk. Looking at your layout, if you wanted to increase its size to empire you could use the peninsula as a Nolix area, look at John Armstrong's plan for the Athabasca railroad, back in MR some time ago, can't remember. A peninsula was used to raise the trains but it was a visible helix in a peninsula shape. Its hard for me to see how do able according to your diagram as there are no foot marks.

IF you put a view break down the middle of the peninsula, not only will it separate the views of the train climbing but make the rest of the layout appear larger.

Cheers,
Rick

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Rick, are you suggesting a 2 level layout? I have to say that is a lot more ambitious than I can realistically take on, although it would be pretty cool. Also, I'm going to have some pretty tall buildings.

Val

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Val, my bad; for some reason I thought you were in N scale. In N scale what I am proposing is very doable; its doable in HO scale but the "blob" from the helix would eat a lot of room and look ugly. Why is it doable in N, because with 17 inch radius, your peninsual needs to be about 38 inches wide; in HO with 30 inch curves, your peninsula wouldn't fit. If you put the helix in the corner, you'd have a 5 1/2 foot by 5 1/2 foot blob that would visually dominate the layout.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
No problem Rick - suggestions are always welcome. If it were N scale I'd say a 12 x 18 ft layout is already an empire.

I did consider the possibility of turning a train at the end of the peninsula but the radius would be too tight so I discarded that idea in favour of some industrial track. One of my main goals with this layout is to have as many types of my favourite scenery as possible. The peninsula gives me a chance to do a harbour scene, and those tracks will serve as "modelled staging" for the yard.

Val

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Val,

I get the feeling you're more into the holistic MRR than any one particular aspect. You're looking for a layout that offers a good scenery:track ratio, some continuous running and some operation.

I think the plan you have is very good in that sense, and will be a manageable 1-person layout. You'll be able to build and detail it without it becoming an all-consuming task, and it's not so complicated that you'll spend more time maintaining it than running it.

Based on the pics on your website, I suspect you're going to do a fantastic job on this one too, and your results are going to rival Doc Wayne's.

Now howsabout some progress, huh? ;)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Progress Report

Ok Squidbait you slave-driver you! ;)

No pics yet, but yesterday I was able to get about a third of the foam sub-roadbed down. I started with the easy part - the yard area - because it's totally flat. I'm using 1 in. extruded insulation foam this time around. On the first layout I used Homasote, and while it's fantastic for driving track nails into, it's also becoming very hard to find. Also, it has to be painted both sides to keep it from absorbing moisture from the air, which is pretty time-consuming. And finally it's not great for carving contours, whereas foam is perfect.

I was shocked at the price -- it's gone way up since I last checked it out. It now costs as much as plywood!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW, you are right on with your assessment of what I'm trying to do. I love buildings, interesting little scenes and superdetailing and planned the layout that way. I already have lots of buildings, and it was a bit of a challenge fitting them all in. That's why the city is such a large part of the overall layout. Continuous running is a must, and although I've never actually done any operations I know I'll want to.

Here's a shot of the city to be -- a temporary placement of the buildings to see how it's going to look. As you can see, a lot of the buildings are not finished yet.

city.jpg

Val