Building My First Layout

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I am building my first model railroad. It is going to about the pennsylvania rr. Could someone help me out with a track plan. I don't want it to be big. Just a bedroom sized layout. The era will be from 1940 to 1950. I plan to model in HO Scale. I will be running some small Steam Engines and some of the First Generation Diesels.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge! You will find many will help you with your track plan, but more info is really needed. Room dimensions, along with known locations of doors, windows etc. Mainline or branch? Do you want a major engine facility? Are you a runner or operator or a mix of both? Does it have to have contain a loop or is point-to-point O.K.? Is multi-level O.K.? What about staging? If you want staging is hidden O.K.? :)

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I will get you those room dimensions and the locations of doors, windows. I would like it to be a small branch line. Yes i would like a engine facility. I am both a runner and a operator. A loop to loop would be fine with me. Yes i would like staging on the layout. Multi-level would be nice too. Like i said before i will get the dimensions of my bedroom and put them on here.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Hmmmm...

Might seem kind of a silly question, but are you modelling the Pennsy because you just like the equipment, or do you want to model specific Pennsy landmarks? (The Horseshoe Curve comes to mind...) Quite possibly this could have some impact on a trackplan.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi LiveSteamer!
Welcome to The Gauge!
I think the Pennsy brancjline sounds like a great idea!:cool:

My advice to you would be to try & get yiour hands on as many published track ploans as possible...There are lots of books filled with all sorts & sizes of plans...
Also, Model Railroader magazine (Kalmbach Publications) puts out an annual publication called Model RR Planning. These always feature small, bedroom sized plans, & some are quite innovative. You can find these in many hobby shops, & I'm sure you can order current & back issues from the MR website - www.trains.com

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
The Kalmbach book 'Classic Railroads You Can Model' has a roughly bedroom sized -- if you go N-scale -- trackplan of Horseshoe and the Gallitzin tunnels. Should be in your LHS.
In HO, its closer to Garage sized :)

for N, I think Horseshoe is modeled with 30" radius curves