building material

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
getting back into modeling with my grandson . was wondering what is the best to use as far as building moutains and the base for the track to lay on [the support] .The table is built starting to do the track work and stuff need a refresher course on some of it

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi erie.
My personal preference is Homasote for trackbed, possibly with plywood under it, and extruded polystyrene insulation carved up for the scenery. The polystyrene is then covered with latex paint and various scenery materials.
Some people use the polystyrene for trackbed as well, but I feel it doesn't provide quite the support I'd like for switch machines.
(Look for nazgul's thread "Don't laugh -- it's my first attempt" for a distillation of the entire wisdom of the forum on this and other matters.)

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I am old school.

I use plywood for HO and plaster for mountains.

Crumble news papers and hold with masking tape.
Dip paper towle strips in thin plaster and layer it on the news print.

Messy and slow to dry put it works for me.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
erie,

I like to make a web of cardboard strips that I've hot glue gunned together. I sometimes stuff crumpled newspaper underneath like Gil does if the mountain is larger. Instead of plaster I dip paper towels in a diluted glue mixure and apply them to the cadboard. It takes about two to three days to completely dry but its tough and flexible enough that you won't crack it if you push on it firmly. I then seal it with an earth colored latex paint.

Blue or pink foam is really popular as David noted.
Enjoy gettng back into it with your grandson!
Ralph

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
Thanks guys Its still somewhat like it was years ago thought it had changed over the years with all the new stuff. That and being away from it so long .Oh im shure ill be back to find out more stuff