Building Marek aircraft models

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by billmcc, Jul 10, 2004.

1. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi All,

I just bought and downloaded a Marek P-51B Mustang model. One good diagram came with this model, but no written instructions or guidelines is provided. I learned from reading a review in Cardmodels Online Magazine that parts with red numbers should be glued to heavier card stock.

What I don't know is what a red dot on a part, or a red dot next to a part, is suppose to mean. Can anyone tell me what this means? Does Marek use any other symbols?
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

I believe that if its the red dot I am thinking of, if you zoom in on the
    dot (in adobe) it will be a symbol for rolling the piece.

Let me know if this is the dot your talking of.

3. billmcc

billmcc Member

You are correct! After zooming in at 300 percent, the red dot becomes a red spiral. A spiral is a logical symbol for roll this part. Where did you learn about this symbol? Is it a common symbol used on other polish paper models?
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

It does appear to be a common symbol for rolling. I have seen
    it not only on Polish models, but several others I have built.
    I actually figured it out just like I said. I wondered the same
    thing, and just started zooming in until I saw it.

5. billmcc

billmcc Member

Greetings All,

I am still attempting to figure out how the 1:50 scale Marek P-51B model I bought should be built. There are no glue tabs for joining the bottom edges of the fuselage segments. Is the builder suppose to make his/her own glue tabs? If so, should the glue tabs be made of 20-pound paper (instead of cardstock) so the tabs won't hamper the placement of the formers?
  6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Bill, use scrap cardstock to make the joining strips. Cut the joining strips a bit shorter than the length of the seam you are joining, so that the joiner will not interfere with the former fit.
  7. billmcc

billmcc Member

Thank you for the info about the joining strips. Any other building tips would be appreciated.
  8. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I have another question along this line.

What is the best order to assemble the parts of these models?

Should you glue the two formers together first, then add the skin, or do you assemble the fuselage sections (two formars and the skin) individually, and then glue them together?
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The only way I have built Marek models is by building all the fuselage parts, then glueing them together after they have all been built. Some require other parts to be added, but they don't interfere with fuselage assembly. The main thing to remember when build the models is to make sure the formers are flush with the edge of the fuselage skin. I have actually in the past placed a smaller cut piece of thin bond paper under the former as I push the former into place on the top of the desk. This gave me a very slight cavity and would allow me to sand down the fuselage part where I didn't cut straight. It generally didn't mess up the fit, but I only did it to two of the three Marek models I have built so far.
  10. Darwin

Darwin Member

Another tip on this kind of construction is to make sure the two formers that butt against each other are exactly the same in outline. I do this by marking the sides that join together with an "X", dry-fitting them together, and lightly sanding them to remove any irregularities. If the outlines don't match to begin with, they stand little chance of doing so once the skins are attached. (And make sure the Xs are visible (on the outside of the segment) before gluing the skin on)-though it might look symmetric, the formers rarely are exactly symmetric.
  11. Kapetann

Kapetann New Member

I am new to this kind of modeling and I would need some help. I downloaded P-51B from "Maly Modelarz". However, I do not have any diagrams or instructions which would show how all parts coming together. So, I am wondering if anyone would have instructions in .pdf format?

12. GT5500

GT5500 Member

You have downloaded a pirate model, I assume you were unaware of this but it would be appreciated by all forum members if you destroy the file. Sorry but it is for the good of the hobby.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yes indeed.

But first let me welcome you to the forums. This is a great place to learn about card models.

Second there are no models available legally for maly modelarz. Unfortunately those models have been highly pirated and illegally distributed. That one of the reasons there are no diagrams.

Third let me see if I can find any p-51 freebies. I will be in touch unless someone else posts a link..... (if one exists)