Building Kratos (God of War), by Beinan

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Z As a good friend of mine, who happens to be a mechanic once said, " Injection is nice, but I'd rather be Blown"

And Rogerio my friend, this build looks fantastic too...

When I learned how to sail 10 meter boats, I came to the realization that I was being sucked, not blown, by the wind.devil

Rogerio, your gluing technique really interests me. What is the name of this glue you are using. You have excellent building skill, but I can see that this glue is also working very well. :)

Rogerio Silva

Diy

Very nice build indeed. If you pull this one off, I may consider building it too one day ...

Johanvanacker

Man, there's one thing I say, recognizing my own limitations:

IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN!!! :mrgreen: :thumb:

Do not "consider". DO IT!

I think it was Master Yoda who said: do or do not. There is no try. :cool: :cool: :cool: :p

Rogerio Silva

Back me up

Hello,

Well, I managed to "back up" Mr. Kratos. Once again, considering the head, it was a piece of cake. CONSIDERING THE HEAD, I wrote!!! :rolleyes:
What I like most about this model is its correct anatomy, taking that Kratos is a super-human type (didn't you play the games? :eek: :eek: :eek:). But the level of detail in this model makes me wonder if I will actually give it away or keep it to myself... :p devil My older kid already asked me for it... :cry:
Anyway, I have to stick to my word and present a friend with it, and I can always build another... :mrgreen:
A comment is in order here: you've probably noticed that I did NOT paint the edges. That's due to the texture of the model being very detailed and variable, specially in the larger pieces. Besides, I'm TERRIBLE with colors and painting... :cry: :curse: :cry: :curse:
Well, here is the pic, please take a look.

Attachments

• WP_000376.jpg
    WP_000376.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 13

Rogerio Silva

(...)

Rogerio, your gluing technique really interests me. What is the name of this glue you are using. You have excellent building skill, but I can see that this glue is also working very well. :)

Thank you for the "excellent building skill", but I think I'm far from that... :cry: I guess I'm improving, anyway... :rolleyes: This is the usual edge-glueing (some people say butt-glueing, and no tabs)
About the glue: it's same old PVA + alcohol, although it MUST be in different proportions, for it's stronger than the styrofoam glue I was using, and makes less of a mess.
You'll see in the label that it says "Cola Arte Fix" = "Glue Art Fix" (that was easy! :p), "Não mancha - incolor" = "Doesn't stain - colorless", "Não enruga o papel" = "Doesn't wrinkle the paper", and last, but NOT LEAST, "Especial para trabalhos artísticos e fotográficos" = "special for artistic and photographic works". That's exactly why I bought it, tested it, and will stick to it (pun intended :rolleyes:).
The glue's brand is HERO and its manufactured in a nearby city from Rio. Take a look at its pic, please.

Attachments

• WP_000377.jpg
    WP_000377.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 12

Rogerio Silva

Better shape up...

Yo!

Kratos's torso is almost ready. I wanted to show it before closing because I think I did something easier (IMHO), and wanted to share it with you.
Here's what I did: I started the torso from the back, and went on each side. Before closing, I joined the last three pieces (two are from the sternum), because that would make it easier to manipulate them. The sternum angle makes it a little bit harder, and the pieces do make complex angles (I'M NOT COMPLAINING!!!:boom:)
My next post will show the torso ready. Here are the pics:

Attachments

• WP_000379.jpg
    WP_000379.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_000380.jpg
    WP_000380.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 12

Rogerio Silva

Gettin' better

Howdy,

And here's the completd torso. The textures along with the model give a good view of Kratos's torso. Cool enough, IMHO. Take a look at the pics.

Attachments

• WP_000381.jpg
    WP_000381.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 7
  • WP_000382.jpg
    WP_000382.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_000383.jpg
    WP_000383.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_000384.jpg
    WP_000384.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 10

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
In -freakin-credible! This is really something you can and should be proud of. I don't know of any similar glue here but I will start researching it. Thanks! :}

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's looking great, Rogerio! Concerning the edges: When I was building my Yoda I painted them after assembly because of the sophisticated texture. I used water colours and started with several layers of very light tones. Do not use too dark colours because that would spoil the appearance. It is always easier to make a tone darker than to make it lighter. In very bright spots you don't need to colour anything at all, too.

Rogerio Silva

Thanks for your always kind words, guys. You really make me want to go on.

@Zathros: thank you, kind Sir! Try to look for a glue that's specific for photographic works. That's what the label here says: "specific for artistic and photographic works". I bought it in a big store which specializes in craftmanship. Maybe that could be a start.

@RF: I did color the black edges of the beard and around the eyes, but then it all got so hard... :cry: But I liked your advice, thanks!

johanvanacker

Interesting build: usually, these models are build from concentric rings and bottom to top. This one has vertical strips top to bottom.
Did you already cut off the tabs at the bottom of the belly and at the arm pits ?

Rogerio Silva

Johanvanacker

I don't use tabs anymore. I cut them all; the quality is better, although it increases time and difficulty of the build (IMHO).

Rogerio Silva

Not in the crotch...

Howdy!

It's been a while, but a lot has changed. I have moved, experienced the usual chaos of this situation, and now things are starting to get better. Better enough for me to resume my "paper duties".
I had to do a lot of repairing in Kratos, for he (it) barely survived moving. After the repairs, I had a little progress, and here it is:

Attachments

• WP_000397.jpg
    WP_000397.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 9

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to hear that he survived the move.
You are doing a GREAT JOB on this project.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, Kratos is a strong man. He survives ANYTHING, even a move! :mrgreen:

Rogerio Silva

Thanks for the kind words, RB.
Building Kratos has been a challenge for me, because doing it based only in the PDO Viewer is hard. I'll keep on building it, but I think I'll give the other projects some attention, too.
Thanks for visiting!