Building flats

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
On my layout the front to back measurement at the port of Tayside is only 17 inches. With a dock and associated trackage, there is no room for buildings so I have to make a bunch of flats.
This one I just made is a model of a Kresge store I worked in in 1958.
I guess by todays pricing I will have to make this a heritage building just to preserve some history.

Attachments

• kr2.jpg
    kr2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 365

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Robin, that looks very nice, did you use a photograph for the front?

Shamus

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Shamus, here is the picture I used to get the idea how to make the flat. It sure brought back fond memories of my early retail years after leaving the RCAF.
Other than that, the flat is all cardboard and paper and MS paint to print widows and stuff.

Attachments

• kr.jpg
    kr.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 271

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Robin,
Your craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me!
It is so neat that you can transform something from your memories into an acurate model!
That is the true definition of a "modeler"!
Keep 'em coming, & thanks for sharing!

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Yes Rich, K-mart grew from the Kresge stores in the heyday of discounters. There were dozens but it looks like Walmart will be the only survivor. Remember that even Sam Walton started in the five and dime industry with Ben Franklin stores I think.
Then K-mart closed all the Kresge stores which they should never have done because Kresge's always made a profit and K-mart is dying .
Thanks for the comments everyone