building dioramas

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I would like to build some dioramas that will eventually be incorporated into a layout is there a way to make this work without having a finished trackplan? Also I need to get dimensions for specific items in magazines, like height width and length for structures and the like does anyone have a source for something like this? Thanks Pat

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
The world is your source. Look around.

Doors are 7' tall, buildings are 10-12' per floor.

As to trck plan, not necessary unless you plan to overload your layout with track and squeeze scenery in if there is enough room.

Just pick something you like the look of and model it as a diorama.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Belg,, I take it that what ever you build when you decide to "Link" them together you want to run something from one diarama to the next??
If you have no track plan in mind Make sure all diarama have a track to track exit and entrance then you can do your thing in the middle.
Show us more when you can.:wave:

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Just pick an industry or two that you want in your final layout, and build a diorama around them. If you go to any home store, they'll usually cut plywood for you in whatever dimensions you want (up to a certain number of cuts) for free.

So grab a 4 x 4 of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, and pick a size, and go for it. I might start out with something smaller but wide enough to do some damage - maybe 14" wide (could fit on a shelf then), and maybe a couple feet long.

If you know the era and location that you want to model, just start brainstorming different things you might see there.

So, for example, I'm modeling 1980 in Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas. For the 12" x 12" competition in May I was throwing around some ideas, and I've come up with two options: (1) a rural chemical distributor; and (2) a downtown scene in Amarillo TX, with a fast food taco restaurant, a Sonic, and a Tower Records, and maybe a coffee shop.