Building Colors...

CN1

May 6, 2003
My weathering sucks soooooooo I'll have to start all over again.
What is a good color to paint a building. I mean like bricks.

Thanks

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm sure there must be something made called brick red. One of the polly floquil or if you use the craft paints there will be several different choices. Just remember if you build up to many layers of paint u will loose alot of your details.

Pat

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I painted my recent DPM effort with boxcar red, then drybrushed with burnt sierra and burnt umber craft paint from the dollar store. I washed it with an antique white wash to fill the mortar lines, and then washed the entire building with india ink/water mix to tone down the mortar, and grime it up a bit.

I like brush painting for buildings, as it seems to come out with a bit more variation in colour than airbrushing.

I'll post a pic as soon as I get more batteries for the digital camera.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by belg
I'm sure there must be something made called brick red. ...
Pat
I got some "brick red" acrlyic at Wal-Mart, but the few buildings I've done, I use several shades since no brick is consistantly the same color. I finish off with an alcohol/ink wash. If it's not right, I do it again. If the paint buildup becomes too much, I wash in in alcohol and use a stiff brush to remove the paint, and start again.

here is one of my first attempts:

Attachments

• school05.jpg
    school05.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 157

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
the color i started was box car red then kept adding roof brown to get darker color and used a thin wash (water color)of paynes gray with a dash of light yellow for mortar lines.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Looks great. I guess you have to be patient.

Patience? Working on it...

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
How small are your brushes? You can use a wide brush to apply a wash that is going to sink between the bricks to color the motar, but if you are applying color to individual bricks you will need a 000 size brush to get that small.

CN1

May 6, 2003
So one big brush and a cou0ple of small one. Got it! I'try that and let you knwo.

Again, what's the best color for brick building.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
CN1, there is no "best" color for brick. If you have say 12 brick buildings chances are there will be 12 different shades. Or completely different colors. Don't be reluctant to mix some colors. Start with a couple reds and browns that seem suitable, add some white or even a touch of yellow. When you have something you like for the brick, paint the wall then add some white to the paint, thin it and add dish detergent and apply that as mortor. Rub excess off brich faces when dry. Experiment on some scrap first. Have fun.

Gary

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Find yourself some empty jars(small ones like old model paint jars) start with a base color like boxcar red or in some of the craft shops you will actually find old brick red.Using this as a base add other colors to lighten,make a bit more brown or goldish,etc make up a dozen or so of these varying shades and each building will have its own character. be sure to dullcoat everything when it is completed :)

CN1

May 6, 2003
Yes! Good point. I do have some empty bottles. I'll go look for the elusive "brick red", maybe even at Wal Mart if I can't find it at my LHS. I will also try the white wash to fill the crack & mortar lines. If I'm satisfy I'll wash the building with india ink mix with water to tone it down a little. I think that's were the problem is, the mortar lines and "weathering" effect...

I'll make sure that I don't put too many layers of paint. I don't want to loose the details. And I will take into account that no two building have the same color, just like in real life...

As suggested, I'll try on a piece of scrap before I go to the actual building. I'll make sure I have various brush size and to BE PATIENT.

If I don't like it, then I'll use rubbing alcohol to remove the paint and start all over again.

All the steps (above) are due to your comments, informations and tips. I greatly appreciate this. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I will let you know how it turns out.

I appreciate any other advices, opinions or tips that you may have.

Cheers:wave: :)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Lots of good advice here, but I will add mine anyway!:D :D :D

I use Polyscale Daylight Red (has a definite orange tint) mixed with Engine Black for the most part. Each time I paint a building I mix up a fresh batch and that way no 2 are exactly the same.

I've also used Boxcar Red (ok) and Tuscan Red (better) on buildings which I'm not planning to paint all at once. That way no worries with matching.

Tuscan Red is not all that opaque, so you can get varied brick colours by putting an extra coat on just some of the bricks. Painting bricks one at a time is not for everyone, and I sure don't do it on all my buildings. The really dirty ones don't need it.

For mortar instead of a mortar wash (which I've tried and failed miserably at) I use Spackle. Rub it into the grooves. Scrape off the excess.

Also, not all buildings are plain brick. Many have been painted over the years.

Below are some examples of the various techniques I've described.

#1. Dirty, no mortar lines.
MH.jpg

#2. Red and black mix with spackle mortar.
parts.jpg

#3. Tuscan Red with spackle mortar (and detail in top R corner)
hardware.jpg

#4. Painted version
gas.jpg

#5. Another typical paint scheme
autobody.jpg

:thumb: Val

CN1

May 6, 2003
Thanks Val,

The more the better. I realy appreciate the pictures, that helps alot and it gives me lots of ideas too. Thank you very much.

What's Spackle:confused: :confused:

I still have to look for paint. Right now I'm soldering tracks, y'know, to give me abreak fro painting.

Thanks.

All advices are welcome.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CN1
how old are the buildings you're modelling? I went by a brand new subdivision this week and on 8 houses backing onto the main street, there were 8 different brick colours (or colour combos).
As well, there is not only red brick, but yellow and blue and ...
A tip from the NMRA convention: Building fronts were often done in expensive brick "imported" from somehwere else; the backs were done in the cheapest local brick. The fronts could vary; the backs would have a consistent colour.