building an ho scale walthers jordan spreader

csiguy

Jun 4, 2007
leechburg,pa.
hi all

well after looking around for a few months i finally found an unassembled ho scale walthers jordan spreader at a reasonable price. upon looking at though , looks like there is a lot of parts to it which i didnt expect . has anyone ever built this and is it difficult to put together? thanks very much for the advice.

todd

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
no, but...

Years ago I was on an engine and we pushed the jordan spreader to clear the mainline of debris near the tracks. We knocked down everything in our path!! I felt like Godzilla.:twisted: We took down trees, mileposts, fences, everything! It was fun. Good luck building it.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I've not built there jordan spreader...but a long time ago I built one of their snow plows.

I would suspect that it isn't difficult...it just a little longer than an athearn blue box...and it will look better when you've finished.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Look at the parts a few times, some are supposed to go one way, not the other. I remember recently reading of a member of a forum accidentally installing a few parts wrong. It required a bit more work then.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I am in mid process of assembling one of these. Not too difficult and actually quite a satisfactory model to build. I would suggest you check out doctorwayne's spreader here as he has done an outstanding job (as usual:thumb:). He has shared some tips with me on how to make it look and operate better. Maybe he can give you some pointers as well.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The Walthers kit is not too bad to assemble if you build it as a non-operating model. Even though they claim that the plow wings can be opened and closed, the usual result is either a ball disengages from a socket, or breaks off completely. Also, some of the many parts are optional (save 'em in your "scrap" box). Read through the instructions thoroughly, and familiarise yourself with the parts as they're referred to. Take your time when assembling the kit and you should have no trouble.

Wayne

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
some of the many parts are optional (save 'em in your "scrap" box). Read through the instructions thoroughly, and familiarise yourself with the parts as they're referred to. Take your time when assembling the kit

These words, though spoken repeatedly over many years, are the real secret to successful model building, and are only realized after many trials and errors. We each must learn that wisdom in our own ways, in our own times, and we each will come to repeat those words again to someone, in answer to the question "is this too difficult?":mrgreen:

......Too soon old, too late smart.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
My old walthers snow plow suffered from the same problem...I assembled it to be operational...and ended up breaking the blade supports. I think I eventually just glued them into the non-operating position.

csiguy

Jun 4, 2007
leechburg,pa.
hi all . thanks very much for all the advice you have given me on this project. im new to the hobby so i tend to ask a lot of questions. you guys are a great bunch of guys, very informative and nice to talk with. unlike a lotta groups that tend to make new guys like myself feel uncomfortable and stupid. again thanks very much to all of you and look forward to learning more from you.