Building an empty stock car train

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
I felt it was high time I started to build up some cars for an empty stock car train - well, after all, I am modelling Chicago.

After rummaging through my stuff I managed to gather together a paultry 4 stock cars, a result of not having any stock pens on the layout.

However, I like the delicate look of planked stock cars and am eventually planning to have a run-through option for Sweethome Chicago, so I've started to pick up some of the nicer models as I spot them.

In the last 2 weeks I've managed to collect an extra 5, more than doubling my fleet.The new ones still need some weathering and a coupler change, but the train is starting to grow.

Here are the stock cars as of tonight.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_14911.JPG

I've also shot a short video clip although YouTube will take a while to upload it, so I'll post the link later.

Jon

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Very nice, Jon. I felt like I was viewing the prototype, and not the model. I was glad to see that you had not "detailed" the cars with the customary white border along the floor of the cars, to simulate "lime disinfection". The more prototype shots I see, the more that proves to be the exception rather than the rule.

Bob

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Iron Goat said:
I was glad to see that you had not "detailed" the cars with the customary white border along the floor of the cars, to simulate "lime disinfection". The more prototype shots I see, the more that proves to be the exception rather than the rule.

Bob

Hi Bob,

In Britain, cattle trucks were cleaned out after use, using a lime wash which created the white line effect over the lower portion of the car. In the 1930s, most railway companies switched over to cheap liquid chemical cleaners which did not leave the white stains.

I'm guessing the same thing happened in the USA at about the same time, if not earlier.

Jon

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Awesome scene, Jon, and a nice string of cars.:thumb: I too like those stock cars, but unfortunately they are not appropriate for my LA layout.

BTW, I saw on the Railroad Forum how you soundchipped this Baldwin DS-4-4-1000. You said, that you had no idea what a Baldwin sounded like. So I thought, you might be interested in hearing this sound file, recorded from a DS-4-4-1000 with a 606SC turbo charged engine: http://yardlimit.railfan.net/archive/tad/penn-jersey-302.wav