Building a Traction Layout

interurban

OK let`s get back to building this Lay out.

I am presently working just out side of my main station.
I have put the main line bridge in and then decided to extend a siding over the water with an sloping bridge.

Attachments

• P7020022.JPG
    P7020022.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 218
  • P7020023.JPG
    P7020023.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 214
  • P7020024.JPG
    P7020024.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 216
  • P7020025.JPG
    P7020025.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 211

interurban

As you can see in the last shot I have removed the double bridge to work on the river bed.

Here are a few more shots of it .
I hope to get this finished soon.sign1

Attachments

• P7020027.JPG
    P7020027.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 209
  • P7020028.JPG
    P7020028.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 206

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Hi Chris,

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW, your layout is really turning out to be awsome. All that wiring must take so much patients!! I would never be able to do it.

I like the last couple of the culvert coming down the hill, It looks good and Im sure it will look even better when it's painted and scenery is added.

Keep updating us with your progress and keep up the fantastic work!!:thumb: :thumb:

interurban

Thanks Josh.

I had to take that main line bridge out as the track was warping in the middle:curse:

Fortunatly I had collected a few spare bridges over the years, and had a couple that did a better job.
announce1
Rule of thumb, if you are at a show /train meet and you see stuff cheap buy it and save it, some day it will pay you back by just being there when you are desperate, and save you big bucks and time trying to buy it new.

interurban

I have been busy with my pollyfiller, I love the stuff.

Managed to get a fair bit of basic rock work in.

Just wait till the trees and grass grow:)

Attachments

• redhead 004.jpg
    redhead 004.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 163
  • redhead 005.jpg
    redhead 005.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 167
  • redhead 006.jpg
    redhead 006.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 171
  • redhead 008.jpg
    redhead 008.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 169
  • redhead 011.jpg
    redhead 011.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 165

interurban

Ok Paint and scenery is in on that section, I am still working on the back drop.
So Glad I have a lot of stuff to work with.sign1

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 157
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 159
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 158

interurban

RailRon said:
Chris, this layout corner looks great! :thumb:
What are those juniper trees made from?

Ron

Hi Ron,
they are made of horse hair I bought a load years ago, I have seen them since at the shows and a hobby store.
I took them outside and spray painted them to spruce them up a bit.

interurban

Moving to the other side of the L/O today, I finished off the culvat it is ready for the water to be put in, soon:)

A double track bridge will span this when it`s finished.

Attachments

• waterway.jpg
    waterway.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 166
  • waterway1.jpg
    waterway1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 169
  • waterway2.jpg
    waterway2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 169
  • waterway3.jpg
    waterway3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 171

RailRon

Thanks Chris! :wave: They (the junipers) are really looking good! So does the culvert. Now I'm curious how you'll model the water.

Ron

interurban

It rained last night so the culvert worked overtime.

Today I added a second application, the last two shots show this.
when it is dry I`ll use the woodlands scenic water effect to create ripples.
Trees and such to be added.

Attachments

• jeep 005.jpg
    jeep 005.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 165
  • jeep 009.jpg
    jeep 009.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 158
  • jeep 010.jpg
    jeep 010.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 158
  • jeep 007.jpg
    jeep 007.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 159
  • jeep 006.jpg
    jeep 006.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 161

MilesWestern

:eek: That's BEAU-T-FULL!!!!!!! :thumb: great job!!!! I like the gentle creek flowing along w/o the water effects though, keep it that way, but do what you wish...don't want to misguide youon this fantastic work! :)

interurban

Thanks guys.

The water effect you saw Miles was just after I poured the second application, it has now evened itself out.
That`s why the water effect has to be applied, I do hope I can get a decent looking "water flow" when I get at it.:wave:

zedob

It's amazing how just a little color and a few weeds can transform a layout from a barren wasteland to something that comes alive. The water looks great.:thumb: I agree with Miles, don't do too much rushing water.

I've gotta stop checking up on your progress posts because every time I see those poles I keep getting the urge to add a traction line to my future layout. Since the line I'm modeling was electrified for trollies until the 20's and that happens to be about the era I want to model the more I see your work, the harder it is getting not to add some overhead wire.:curse: Well, you know what I mean:D

LoudMusic

zedob said:
It's amazing how just a little color and a few weeds can transform a layout from a barren wasteland to something that comes alive. The water looks great.:thumb: I agree with Miles, don't do too much rushing water.

I've gotta stop checking up on your progress posts because every time I see those poles I keep getting the urge to add a traction line to my future layout. Since the line I'm modeling was electrified for trollies until the 20's and that happens to be about the era I want to model the more I see your work, the harder it is getting not to add some overhead wire.:curse: Well, you know what I mean:D

I know how you feel! We've got a trolley (touristy mostly) running in our downtown on the street in front of my building. I've found it interesting ever since they started work installing it a few years ago, and now seeing this HO traction layout in progress I keep thinking up ways to include a run of traction on a future layout of my own :)

Good work! Enjoying the pictures. Waiting for more ... ;)

interurban

Thanks LoudMusic and zedob.

Sorry I have had no time to deal with the overhead part of the new layout.
But experience has told me to get the scenary stuff done first , this way the wire does not come down or get caked in plaster sign1

Glad you like my humble work with this scenary and river as it is not my strong point.
That is way it`s taking so long LOL!.
So much to do so little time but hey that`s what it`s all about.:D

But I do hope you guys keep checking in , and maybe try some overhead.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Chris,

I haven't looked in on your build thread in a while... it's going really well! I think that creek/ditch is great! Definitely looks like it is working overtime to get rid of the runoff! Nice! :thumb: :thumb:

Andrew