Building a Traction Layout

interurban

MilesWestern said:
I was thinking about you and your layout this morning, and wondering what you've been doing...we haven't seen you in quite awhile, where have you been? :confused:

Hi Mielswestern,

I am glad someone remembers me, as it`s been a while hasn't it just.

I had a feeling the Traction post`s had lost there interest to folks, as not many "do" this .
Also we are revamping the Traction in Action modual , so work time has been dedicated to that baby as she needed some changes.

My own Layout has been slowed down by lack of time and my wife`s health needs.
But I hope to rev up my motors and get at it a bit more.

MilesWestern

Please show use tons of the Traction Action Module! I've seen a frew miniscule far off pics, but good overall shots or good closeups!

....and just because it seems like nobody's interested doesn't mean it's true. Some unsuspecting newbie or site guest may stuble upon your work and say, "Hey, that's really great work this "Interurban" guy did, perhaps I should see if my town had a trolley..."

I can't say I've got the traction bug, but It's growing one me... :)

MilesWestern

...Also I miss your daily pic, like you had a couple of years ago. How I found about that is that I started on the LAST page of the HO scale posts and occasionally, I work my way forward. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's bad.

interurban

Thanks for the encouragement Miles.

I had forgotten about all those daily pictures. Maybe I should do a daily on the Traction in Action, seen as my own L/O is far from up and running.

Here is a shot for you from my old Layout.
enjoy.
:thumb:

Attachments

• P1020053 copy.jpg
    P1020053 copy.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 226

RailRon

Nice to have you back, my friend! :wave::wave::wave:

Chris, as a Swiss (we have 100% electrified RRs here) I'm always interested in American traction. It is very interesting to compare electrified RRs in our two countries. That's why I enjoyed your contributions. It's great to hear from you again.

Did you make any progress with your track-in-the-street part of your layout?

Ron

PS: Not wanting to hijack this thread, but just for comparision - isn't there some family resemblance between the 'faces' of your interurban and this Swiss loco? (She's 50+ years vintage and still going strong! :D)

Attachments

• BLS-Ae44.jpg
    BLS-Ae44.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 224

interurban

PS: Not wanting to hijack this thread, but just for comparision - isn't there some family resemblance between the 'faces' of your interurban and this Swiss loco? (She's 50+ years vintage and still going strong! )
Today 01:08 AM

Hi Ron, how are you ?
Yes the big electrics of the past were similar, I always enjoy watching videos of the Swiss electrics.
I wish our old electrics were going strong and still in service.

Re my street trackage in the new layout, I did the cobble stone effect but have to high lite it with lighter paint, the town road is also done.

But as there is so much work to do till I can string the wire up I have left that area for a while.

btw hi jack my post anytime when traction is on your mind Ron sign1

interurban

shaygetz said:
Good to hear from you, Chris.:wave:

Thanks Bob hope all is well with you:)

Well last night I went down and painted the rust on those three tracks I put in.
Then much later last night I went down and cleaned the surface off .
This is the first time I have painted the rust on rails.
So glad I have not got an empire to do:D

interurban

Back to that bridge I built , the guard rails are in ( what do you call them I forgot).
A bit of paint then the ballest will be in soon.announce1

Attachments

• P5280025.jpg
    P5280025.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 209

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
oh man, i should have came to this thread sooner. i notice you used plaster of paris for your roads. i used hydrocal, and it was a mess. should have looked for help here!

Still, good stuff man!

zedob

interurban said:
Back to that bridge I built , the guard rails are in ( what do you call them I forgot).
A bit of paint then the ballest will be in soon.announce1

Uh, guardrails?:D Just kidding.

Don't you just love those Atlas bridge girders. So cheap and the detail is great. Well, better than I could ever do without spending mega hours dimpling rivets.

I also like to use the N-scale girders for my smaller underpasses.:thumb:

interurban

Hey Hey Hey

Zedob,

I knew that John at the yards gave them a name, I just got the email back, they are know as Jordon Rails.:wave: :thumb: :D

zedob

interurban said:
Hey Hey Hey

Zedob,

I knew that John at the yards gave them a name, I just got the email back, they are know as Jordon Rails.:wave: :thumb: :D

Nice tidbit of info...thanks.

jetrock

I just got back from Chicago on the California Zephyr, and scored a few used single-arm overhead poles for $2 apiece from Chicagoland Hobby--one more barrier to overhead gone! So now I just have to install the darn things and start stringing wire...I also picked up a motorized San Francisco cable car (for a kitbash project to build an open "California style" streetcar) and some other assorted tidbits. I also wired and put down foamcore on Module Three of the Sacramento Northern belt line project. Soon I'll have some of my own traction action photos to post...

interurban

Fantastic

That is great news Jetrock.
Sounds like the trip was a success .

Looking forward to your "Traction in Action" pictures:thumb: :thumb: