building a new N scale layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by 13Mtrainer, Aug 12, 2005.

1. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

hello everyone,:wave:

i have been thinking of building a nice N scale layout in my bedroom. i would like help planing it. this will be my first N scale layout. i have a very nice space for it too i have 3 1/2' by 14' L shape with 2' bench work. i would like help with the design, i would like a nice yard with a lot of switching puzzles and continuos running. thanks in advance.
  2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

This is part of my layout.U shape at 2 ft and 3 ft square on each end of the U for curves
  3. 13Mtrainer

13Mtrainer Member

WOW that is sweet can u post your layout design?
  4. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wow Dick....that's a nice layout!!!!
    Could we see more pictures , please??
  5. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Here is the track plan. Pretty much up to date

6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

My new turntable and roundhouse

7. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

The control panel shown in the first picture controls the main line and yard.

This control panel controls all the track around and in the Roundhouse

8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

The trestle at the top end of the drawing.

9. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Train coming out of the tunnel on the left side

Going downhill towards the curve.

You will have to excuse the poor quality of the photos. I bought a cheapy dig camara and was never more dissappointed in thr results of the pictures
  10. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

My town area before landscaping and trees added between tracks and town area.

The local setting out grain cars at the rice mill and box cars at Mathison saw works. Both scratch built

11. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Very, very nice!!!!!
    Thanks for the pictures.:wave:
  12. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That's an impressive layout Dick, thanks for posting the pics and a layout plan.:thumb: Nothing like some great pictures to make one's day.:D:D
  13. Zman

Zman Member

Hey, I feel your pain about the cheap dig camera. I did that too and ended up throwing it away after one use. Got me a nice 5 megapixel with zoom and macro.
  14. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Back on topic...

13Mtrainer, can you fit a different benchwork arrangement? It's best to tailor the table dimensions to the track if at all possible. The first change I would suggest is making the ends wider for broad curves. (In fact, 3-1/2 wide isn't an L in my book - it's a blob at one end, at least if it's also 3-1/2 long.)