Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building

Go Big1

Josh,

Great looking CAT building! :thumb:

What did you use for the roof gravel for the building? Also, where do you buy all of your semi trucks and trailers? I am about halfway through building the Magic Pans Bakery (I know you are familiar with this kit :mrgreen: ), and I don't have any semi's or trailers.

Again, great job.

PS - I have been looking back at your Magic Pans bakery thread as I have been building mine.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh...
Where do find the time and energy to do all the things you get done? That doesn't even include taking time to post the progress on here!

Remembering your work when you started in this hobby and where you are now.......The progress is truly amazing. You just get better and better and better!

You river looks awesome as well as everything else:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
great great work....keep it up!:winker:

WOW Thanks buddy. My job plays a BIG role in my hobby now, both good and bad. The bad is that I have o work and it takes time away from my friends and family (but thats life and its the same for everyone so i cant complain) but the good is that I now have money to spend on the hobby buying alot more then i used to be able to buy. I focus on more detail now instead of just getting it done to get it done and look at it. I spend alot more time on areas and do my best to make it the most realistic i can. I pay attention to the real world more and base my things off that more now then i did with my previous layouts and its really shown, i even have surprised myself with the work i have been doing. just goes to show that if i can do it, anyone can do it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh,

Great looking CAT building! :thumb:

What did you use for the roof gravel for the building? Also, where do you buy all of your semi trucks and trailers? I am about halfway through building the Magic Pans Bakery (I know you are familiar with this kit :mrgreen: ), and I don't have any semi's or trailers.

Again, great job.

PS - I have been looking back at your Magic Pans bakery thread as I have been building mine.

Thanks Mike!!

The gravel on the building is a mixture of WS Buff medium ballast and washed mason sand.

All my trucks are from various MFR's (Athearn, promotex, con-cor, a-line and trucks N' stuff as well as a couple others). I have TONS of trucks and Trailers, i started in the hobby collecting HO scale American Trucks for some of the Major Freight companies like Yellow Frieght, Roadway, ABF, Knight and SWIFT Transportation, J.B. Hunt........ Theres lots of great stuf out there for H scale trucks :thumb: :mrgreen: :cool:

The Magic Pan building is a great building no doubt. My module for it is still under construction and i havent done work on it for some time now. Its at my grandparents house and usually when i go over there now im on the computer since i dont have one at my house currently so i really dont do all that much work on it anymore. I still plan to finish it off sometime tho :mrgreen:

sgtcarl

Welel, Josh, you certainly do excellent work! I enjoy your pics and progress reports! I wonder, has anyone ever thought about using real water?? Or at least the sound of running water?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Tetters and Josh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: More pics of my latest progress comeing up in a few mins, just re-sizeing the pics now :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Welel, Josh, you certainly do excellent work! I enjoy your pics and progress reports! I wonder, has anyone ever thought about using real water?? Or at least the sound of running water?

Thanks Carl :mrgreen:

Real water might be a little difficult, you would have to make sure there is an absolute complete water-proof seal where the water is. and due to evaperation and possible algee or mold growing due to stagnent water im not sure if it would be such a good idea. Could be something to experiment with tho :thumb: :mrgreen:, not saying it cant be done or anything. Now water sounds would be cool too.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I layed down the gravel for the CAT Rental Yard. I did the scene up as if there moveing into a brand new building. There are a few trucks in the yard backed up like there unloading equipment, furniture..... from the old building and moveing it into the new building. I also dont have enough equipment for the yard yet either so i added in a few gravel trucks and flatbeds. I kinda like them in there so im thinking about leaveing them in there too as if they rent them out as well as the CAT equipment. I added in a storage container with some cones and barrels. Heres some pics:

SL370468.jpg

SL370469.jpg

SL370470.jpg

SL370471.jpg

SL370472.jpg

SL370473.jpg

SL370474.jpg

SL370475.jpg

SL370476.jpg

SL370477.jpg

SL370478.jpg

SL370479.jpg

SL370481.jpg

SL370482.jpg

SL370483.jpg

SL370484.jpg

SL370485.jpg

SL370486.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Next I did some work on the Great West Pre-Stress building. I sprayed the entire building a dark tan stone color. I glued on some rooftop details like vents, ductwork, and air units and then added a gravel roof. I finished it off with some decals

SL370487.jpg

SL370490.jpg

SL370491.jpg

SL370494.jpg

SL370495.jpg

SL370496.jpg

SL370497.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Now for the next step on the roads along the front of the module. I layed some stripes down. a nice double yellow line makes the road stand out. here some pics;

SL370500.jpg

SL370501.jpg

SL370502.jpg

SL370503.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
For the small strip that was left along the retaining wall next to the Great West Pre-Stess building I added some grass

SL370504.jpg

cnw1961

Josh, your module is awesome. Your new approach to modeling to focus on detail really pays off. There is so much I like about this module, from the creek :thumb::thumb: to the rooftop details, not to forget your trucks...... Great job :wave:.

Buzzee

By Grace
Josh, as always great work actually better than great but everyone has used all the good words. I worked for Cat a 100 years in Stockton, CA Holt Bros. the guys who invented Cat. You need to add a Cat forklift and a service truck(and if you find the service truck in 1/87 let me know) forklifts are easy to find. Great job and you can build a Truck Wash at your Truck Stop you need to build next.... So I can see what I need to do. Oh and all the trucks at Cat well it ant a Truck unless it's a Pete powered by "Cat" now this will get me in trouble. Keep it up, be looking for more to come, Jerry

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
So is it finally done or what?

just kidding! :p

Question...where do you have room for all these modules you are building?

Kevinkrey

I LOVE the way its turning out there Josh! Cant wait to see more pics, and more CAT equpment, because remember, if its not a CAT, its a dog!​

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Wow Josh! Might I ask, how did you lay the gravel parking lot?

VERY VERY VERY slowly, took me about an hour lol. After a while i got lazy and started pouring the glue/water mixture onto the parking lot lol.

I started by laying the gravel down on the foam, then i soaked the entire lot with water and rubbing alcohol mixture. Then I started using an eyedropper to drip the glue/water mixture on to set it in place. Like i said it was way to hard and was taking WAY TO LONG so i ended up pouring the water/glue all over the lot in stripes. I did stripes because it was not necessary to cover the entire lot when i was pouring it because the mixture settled and spread to the areas between the stripes of glue and water.