Building a 6ft Bumblebee Transformer (1:3) scale

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mansfieldartguy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mansfieldartguy

mansfieldartguy New Member

Yes there is a lot of weight that will be going on, but I am not sure on how much. When I stiffen the posterboard with resin that should help it support itself more, I am also going to build a pvc pipe frame most likely inside. I have half of the head made but I am stuck on the eyes I am not sure what I could use to make the eyes light up. Any Ideas I was thinking led flashlights but how would you change the batteries? Also could someone post the actual head height of this model so I could compare the size with mine.
  2. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Head : 52mm
    Head + neck + cylinder : 79mm

Regarding lights, my batteries are kept inside the engine. I left its top part free to open, so I can change batteries.
  3. zealousy

zealousy Member

The scale of the structure might need something stiffer than card. Consider a wooden frame inside to give it some stability..then again it's a guess..I dunno what will turn out at this scale..never tried myself :)Come to think of're a good way...PLEASE keep us posted. Love to see this when this is done! Good luck!
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

This is an enormous undertaking, and with a limited time frame as well... and a hundred greens at stake...

But the best thing is it will not stop you from building what could be one of the LARGEST available scale models around!!!

Best of luck with this sir!!! And we will be watching!!! bounce7
  5. mansfieldartguy

Okay I'm now off work or until sunday anyway, grass is cut, its time to make some eyes. I went to "odd lots" yesterday and bought a three pack of small mini lanterns that are perfect for this project. With some modifications to the wiring they should work. They are super bright each lantern uses three bright white leds. The picture does not do it justice. I also picked up some wire and copper wire to do the eyes with. I should have them both done by tomorrow. I keep you posted.[​IMG]
  6. mansfieldartguy

7. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

simply speechless:shock: good luck man you're totally nuts(in a good way) and hope you win the bet. this is gunna be awesome!:thumb:
  8. mansfieldartguy

Hi guy I just got done with one of the eyes and got about half way through the second one. Below are some pics to give you an idea of what it looks like. I made the inside of the eye kind of look like a turbine. I modeled it after a concept drawing of bumblebee's head I think it turned out great let me know what you think or should change. Once all put together all you have to do is push a button on his head to make his one eye come on. And then push the second button for the other eye to come on. The batteries should last ten hours.[​IMG]
  9. mansfieldartguy

10. mansfieldartguy

11. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

that is totally awesome. Nice job, man!
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

wow! nice job on the eye!
  13. mansfieldartguy

Hey guys well I have both eyes done now and they look great I post a pic soon but I am running into a problem. As I am putting this head together I am noticing that further down the page of what i traced most be getting more distored some how with my projector. So I am going to try to print it out like "plastic bonsi" said but the question is how big do I need to make it in photoshop. do I multiply an 8x10 paper size by four which means that it would print 16 pieces of cardstock to make one page of the 8x10 model? If so that means I would have to print over 400 sheets of cardstock just to do this model! Thats a lot of paper.
  14. clif52

clif52 Banned

I tried the same thing, trying to make an enlarged version of the Cannon Panda for Vacation Bible School at our church. My problem was getting the projector at a perfect 90% to the wall. If the angle is off it throws everything out of shape. I'm thinking about printing out all the parts, scan them back in and tracing them in Adobe Illustrator. Once I get the parts into vector art I can scale them all up at one time then take the files to a blueprint shop and have them plot them out full size. Then transfer them to cardstock or cardboard. It saves a lot of wear and tear on your back and arms tracing all those parts with the projector.
  15. 57townsman

57townsman Member

It is difficult to get the projector orthogonal to the wall :cry:. Why don't you try printing out a tiled pattern in the scale you want on plain paper, then laminating it to the card stock?

16. mansfieldartguy

I have now done that claudo has sent me the black line version have have now have them printed and starting to cut them out one pdf page equals to (16) 8x10 cardstock pages.
  17. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

HI mansfieldartguy,

How is eveything progressing with the 6ft Bumblebee?

Would you be able to show some progress pics.

Keep up the great work.

18. fibonacci

fibonacci New Member

Claudio, quick question... this is just the free standing bot form of Bumbleebee, have you considered the possibility of a transformable version?
  19. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

I think a transformable version would be very hard to model. Bot appearance won't be the same of the movie - like the Bumblebee toy
  20. Janx

Janx Member

Your a braver soul than I, for trying this one. The eye looks great, if that's any indication of things to come; we're in for a treat.