Building a 6ft Bumblebee Transformer (1:3) scale

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mansfieldartguy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mansfieldartguy

mansfieldartguy New Member

Starting today I will start on my new build based on Claudio's model of Bumblebee transformer paper model which is 18in tall. I have been really looking forward to this build for along time.

The Plan:
    Using Claudio's model you have to set print for an 8x10 printing aspect raio, which will give you an 18 inch model when completed. So 6 ft is 72 inches and so using this 18 inch model I have to multiply Claudio's model by 4. So now the finish print size is 32x40 inches(each page). Now I am not going to have this printed that would cost an arm and a leg to have done so what I am thinking is I will use an overhead projector to trace out the pattern. I will use thick posterboard to draw on to. I think I will need about a hundred sheets for this project i figure. After it is all assmebled and textured I will resin and bondo and shape the model. Then paint with clear coat. So tell me what you guys think. Anything that you think I should do that I am not thinking of? I will keep you guys posted.
    Also thanks Claudio for such a great model!
  2. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

This should be great! Can't wait to see your progress.

Good luck!
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Your mad.

But don't let that stop you.

Good luck.

Cheers JTF
  5. mansfieldartguy

the catch is I have a bet going on right now with my brother that I won't be able to have it done by the last day in september. If I don't get it finished by then I have to pay the man 100 bucks.
  6. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Either you start saving, or you start cutting. I think you can do it, and I REALLY want to see the finished model. Get to it man!
  7. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

You are a brave soul !! But i like it ...
    Best of luck :)
  8. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

This is way to cool. I watch with much interest!!
  9. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Man, you're nuts. But in the best way possible. :)

The only thing i can imagine that would put a crimper in it real fast is not keeping the projector EXACTLY the same distance from the surface to be traced. Even an inch or two would mess up the aspect ratio of the different parts. So once you start tracing you better not move that projector...and put everyone else under threat of death not to move it either. :thumb:
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well I'm building a 5-foot Star Destroyer. I'll see if I can out-built your Bumblebee. :twisted:
  11. Put your analyst on danger money - fast!

I think the tracing may be fraught - I would consider screen capturing the PDF sheets editing into quaters where possible and enlarging them digitally and printing the results out. With a bit of cunning some parts can be mirrored no doubt. You would also be able to reprint parts quickly if you make a mistake.

Given the size you intend to make it, are you thinking of a costumefo Halloween?
  12. gorwing

gorwing New Member

With this big a size, the weight of the whole thing must be incredible. The balance of the model could be affected here. Have to think of proper way to handle the balance.

Nonetheless, sometimes, it is good to have courage and madness to build this big. Way to go. :thumb:
  13. mansfieldartguy

Well it begins what you see below is my set up of the bumblebee project. I have also taped the heck out of the projector so that it will not budge anytime soon. It took over an hour to trace out. This is the page for the head. First I am going to build the head first that way I can see if this idea will pan out the way I am thinking it will. Could some one give post how tall the finished head is using this model so I could compare the size difference to see if I am off or not. No it's not a halloween costume but more a less a mega project or statue. I am mainly making it to see if I can, but made so that someone could put it on display or what not.[​IMG]
  14. mansfieldartguy

15. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

looking good so far...

Claudio's models are a lot of fun to build in larger scales, as I'm finding with the tumbler, there's heaps of room to add lots of extra details... Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out, good luck with it.
  16. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

...all I'll add is that you'll need some mighty big LEDs...:mrgreen:
  17. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I may be wrong as I have never tried to scale a model up this much, but I would imagine you would need to build a serious internal frame for this model to support its own weight.
  18. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

this is just awesome, these are the kind of things that motivate me to do better at my card modeling. keep up the pace.
  19. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sounds like an ambitious project. :thumb:

I've been thinking about doing the same with a SpongeBob SquarePants model.:mrgreen:
  20. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member