Builder's Block

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Bowdenja, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

That's an interesting idea but I see one flaw in it. Who gets the model when it's don? If I went to the trouble to build a model I would want it for myself, so the way around that would be to build multiple parts and have several models but then you get tired of building that one part and we're right back where we started with unfinished models!
  2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Somebody here...sorry I don't remember who it was....came up with a great idea a while back. When I build a model I generally don't mind anything until I get to the wings. Then I get a bit finicky. The next parts that generally turn me to starting a new kit are the landing gears, the propeller, and the canopy. Basically, I don't like the stuff that it takes to actually FINISH a plane. I just have a bunch of fuselages sitting around.

Anyways, the idea was to start with the "boring" stuff. So for me, I'd start a new model and immediately build the propeller and the canopy. Then if possible, build the wings and as much of the landing gears as possible without having the fuselage. That way, as soon as you get bored building the bad parts, it is just like starting a new model when you get to jump into building the pieces that you would normally begin with like the cockpit.

.......but unfortunetly I did find the takes the fun out of starting a new model if I have to start with the propeller ;-)

I was just thinking about how cool it was that all of our modelling minds operate extremely similarly. We all find model building (and working with our hands in general) to be relaxing. We can all get caught up in building for hours that seem like minutes. Most of us love details. We all express signs of A.D.D. and for the most part express it by starting something new. Most of us live in the U.S. and Canada and speak English. Most people that I know would like to learn Spanish as a second language in order to be able to communicate with our bordering countries. But not cardmodellers. I for one would be much more happy learning Polish, German, Russian, and maybe Japanese. What good would it be to speak Spanish?.....they don't sell paper models in Mexico!! Any "NORMAL" person would go nuts doing the kind of crap that we do. :):):)
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

for some reason, i don't get to suffer from much builder's block. designer's block! i sometimes suffer from "burn-out" and don't care to see a paper model for a week. this usually happens a couple times a year.....
  4. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

"Most people that I know would like to learn Spanish as a second language in order to be able to communicate with our bordering countries. But not cardmodellers. I for one would be much more happy learning Polish, German, Russian, and maybe Japanese. What good would it be to speak Spanish?.....they don't sell paper models in Mexico!!"

i know what the smiles are! only one of our bordering countries is predominantly spanish speaking, unless you count california! they do sell paper models in mexico. i do know enough spanish to bribe my way out of trouble and order a pizza (con queso y jamon). i do wish i had at least a comparable knowledge in the languages you listed. sometimes the english syntax don't get the awkwardness from out of a translation....;-)
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

The whole idea of any hobby is to relax. If it ain't fun it ain't relaxin'! Be proud of your fuselage collection. Build 'm gear up and hang 'em from the overheard. Leave the canopies off--pretend they're in re-work. Make a diorama of half built planes--call it a boneyard. Heck I've got partially completed projects in my closet that go back thirty years, every now and then I contemplate going back to them, and sometimes even put in an hour or two before they go back again. It's about enjoying doing something....not necessarily completing it.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Part of the problem, for me anyway, was finding the right tools to do my cardmodeling. There are a couple special tools and techniques I use that turn this craft from "NO WAY!" to "HECK YEAH!". So... in line with that I am starting a new thread called, "Cardmodels made easy-er". I will describe my tools, how I use them and any special techniques I may have. I hope many experts will join the thread and teach us sillies what we are doing wrong.
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

There is no right or wrong way--only that which works for you. Some folks consider spending a half day on a fiddly bit that will hardly be noticed as being entirely satisfying. Others feel that spending a half day on an entire model is overkill. There is something out there for everyone--they just have to find the right match. The key to happiness is finding models that suit your style.
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

poor choice of bad.
  9. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Reading all these has been great therapy...not that it will help be finish any models....but it still helps.....:twisted: :rofl: :lol:
  10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I right there with you. We had a major project at work. It is finaly calming down. How ever, I now have sticker shock. 1.2 mil to fix an application problem. Now I can't build a thing. I hope to be back in the next two weeks. I have to clean the desk. Then print ot the model. But now I have to decide which one. The B-52 is not going well ande the wife is telling me to back off it. If she hear's the S word one more time, I am in trouble. :cry:
    But I will let you know which one I will do later. :twisted:
  11. milhistory

milhistory Member

Whenever I work on a model, one of two things always happens:

1. I "mess" up early in the project and don't think the final product will be satisfactory. When I finish the model, however, the error turns out to be minor and not noticed.

2. I grow tired of a particular build after awhile and get frustrated when I don't see progress due to small parts or what not. These are usually complex models (Halinski's Tiger) and I will put them on the shelf, sometimes for months. I always eventually return to them, though, and push through. When I finish, I am always glad I put the model on a shelf and not in the trash can.

The moral of my story is that it is always good to finish a project. I many times take a break from a big build and work on several easy projects in the middle. It's okay to take a break. Sometimes I take a break from paper modeling altogether. But in the end, I am always greatly satisfied with a model, especially a complex one. And if I don't use EVERY-SINGLE piece in the kit? That's okay, too. A finished model is one I am proud of and will display and admire.

See example below. Halinski's Tiger. It has taken me two years (I completed several models in between) and three shelvings, but I believe this time will complete it.

Attached Files:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I agree with Milhistory, sometimes, like right now, I tend to take a break from card modeling even though I have alreay started a model. (Currently I am working on a Nike Hercules that I redrew myself).
    However, I am currently off work due to herniated and Buldging disk in my neck (I had an epidural steroid injection in my neck yesterday, June 15th) and so I am building a few plastic models (which for me tend to "go together" abit faster than paper models).
    I have already built a F3F2 FLYING BARREL, AN F 86 SABRE DOG, A T6 Texan, an F 106 delta dart, a USCG C 130J, A Boeing B 47 strato jet, a DHC OTTER floatplane and a soviet sa 6 surface to air missile and launcher as well as a Grumman avenger. And I am currently working on the X 15, an RH 53 seastallion, and a sa 2 surface to air missile launcher.
    All of the above plastic kits have been completed in the two weeks I have been off work laid up in bed. But, as soon as my left arm and neck are feeling better, I will jump back on the nike hercules missile model.
    I will say this, plastic kits are abit more expensive now a days than I remember them being, the above mentioned kits cost me close to $250 total. (stupid me, I ordered a new catalog from .
    Anyway, like I was saying, I will eventually get back to the nike herc and finish it, its just easier for me at this tme to work on these other kits because most of the work is the parts are already "cut out" so to speak.
    So, there is nothing wrong with taking a break from a model, just be sure to go back and try to finish it.

Have a good day and ya'll might see more of me soon providing this steroid shot works like its sposed to.

Greg aka GW

Attached Files: