Build: USS North Carolina, JSC, 1:400

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by rlwhitt, Nov 8, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Once I saw the problem I should have gone ahead and started reinforcing but I didn't (lazy). When I realized how bad it had become and how it was going to affect subsequent steps it was really too late, as I had the main superstructure (which was the worst culprit) in place. I don't feel too bad as I'm not really concentrating on getting this one just right, I really do consider it practice for bigger things.

Thanks for the support guys!
  2. Teamski

Teamski Member

You know, I didn't have the waviness problem with mine. However, it makes sense since I photocopied it first on a bit heavier stock. Some of the waviness will come out as you add superstructure.

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've noticed that the card stock on this is thinner than other books I've got.
  4. Teamski

Teamski Member

Compared to other 1:400?

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

No, I have no other 1:400 to compare. I'm just saying that for similar size structures that have to hold shape, regardless of scale, it seems thin. But I'm not a boat guy (yet), so I may be off a bit :)

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

BB 55 is in Dry Dock

At this point I'm shelving this build. As I reached the back of the main superstructure and tried to build upon it, I ran into a real mess. The deck was very uneven and I could not correct it by this point. Then the next parts to go on did not fit well at all and once down on the deck were just a horrendous mish-mash! I can't even stand to look at it.

I approached this model as a learning experience and thus was not expecting the quality of build I usually try for, but this is nowhere close to acceptable to me, so I'm shelving it, perhaps permanently. This one is just not proving to be fun, and that's why I do this, so I'm moving on to other things...
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Makes a lot of sense. I look forward to seeing what you jump into next ;)
  8. Teamski

Teamski Member

Sorry to hear about that. I hope it doesn't discourage you from doing other 1:400 ships. You had one hell of a good start on it, though. Cudos.....

9. edi

edi Member

I have to agree; maybe you have to sleep one night over the problem, and then you`ll solve it:thumb:
    BTW: 1:400 makes alot of fun
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A hint - something else with a North Carolina connection. But back to aircraft.