Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Clashster

Clashster Member

Nice job on the canopy, considering it's a first time. I'm with Mike, gotta get me one of those boxes!

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That is an excellent first attempt! One would never guess it was your first!

I can see one of these vacuum boxes in my future. Nice work!

3. airbob

airbob Member

Aw Rick!, now you show me how easy it would have been using an unfinished jewelry box!....who wooda thunk it!! my box looks like something that Fred Flinstone would have beat with his and Bam-Bam's club!....nasty looking thing:mad: with a lot of ceramic filler in the uneven seams! Now you show me the "Light"!!! Kudos...
  4. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

I'm a sucker for Rick's threads.

So far, I've got a rotary tool holder, a Japanese Hole punch, a chuck for my Dremel, and now I'm off to get a jewellery box.

Wonderful work

5. Rev

Rev Member

tools tools

This reminds me of a friend who makes scale western wagons. He has made every tool he uses from something else. He could buy most of his tools, he enjoys making something work that he found cheap.

Great job on this build. I will never get there but can enjoy your incredible work.
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finishing up the Canopy

Got the canopy and gunsight done. Here is the sight and a view inside the front of the canopy.

If you notice the canopy pastic looks quite opaque. This is partly a trick of the light I'm using to work under & take the pics. It looks much clearer in person. But it's also partly really not as clear as I'd like. I think it's because I probably went TOO thick on the plastic and it might not have stretched as smooth on vacuuming as a thinner plastic might.

Next time I'll go thinner. What do you other vacu-formers use? 0.010? 0.015?

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

An overall view of the complete canopy. I doused the overhead swing arm lamp for this one and the plastic looks a bit clearer, closer to how it looks in person.

Wings are next...

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Is it safe to post now? <g>

Hopefully everything's getting settled down in here now. I've gone back through this thread and revived all the images via ImageShack, and will continue to do so in the future, hopefully it will be a more reliable storage choice.

Anywho, we're on to the wings now. The first pic is of the completed "bones", and oh my does this thing have one heck of a skeleton!

Next is a closer shot of a completed wheel well (well, without the landing gear of course! :) ) Note that all those staggered depth slots in back are there to receive the guns later.

Lastly for today, an almost complete wing (sans control surfaces), showing the nice curved areas ready to receive the flaps and ailerons.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! I wish the jumbo jets I flew to europe on were that strong ;)
  10. YuG

YuG Member

Incredible work!!!
    I am at a loss for a word how to express my surprise and delight to see your excellent work.
    I must thank the person who introduced this forum to me one thousand times. If he hadn't introduced.......
    I will keep on eye on your thread
    Thank you!!!
  11. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm amazed how neat you manage to get the skinning. It's a superb model.

Good job on re-doing all the pics - must have taken ages. A thousand thanks for doing that !!!!
  12. Maharg

Maharg Member

Excellent work rlwhitt, 4 stars :)
    btw. The two clipboards holding your sheet is a great idea.
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks guys! As for neatness of the skin, I was actually a bit surprised myself, as that's usually a place I have some trouble with. In this case, I think 2 factors came into play - first is that the fit was very well designed. Second is that yet again, larger scale has helped by giving a bit more room to play and the skin itself is a good bit thicker and thus sturdier (less wrinkling and buckling).

I forgot to mention that the wing skins were the only part of this upscale that grew too big for one sheet of paper, so I split them in photoshop into 2 parts per skin, using a straight printed seam line as the target for joining. To attempt to get a really tight seam, I left each part a little "long", that is color extending beyond my seam. I cut the outboard part out except for the excess, and taped this part down over the other part, being careful to exactly line up the seams on both (tape is attached to excess card only!). Then, using a straightedge, cut through both parts at once. The result is a very tight seam, butt joint glued with a thin strip of paper on the back for strength.

14. barry

barry Active Member

That's realism gone mad superb building.
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey Carl's back - glad to see you here amidst the rubble!

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Awww Man! I just realized Rick has been pulling our legs!

He has got a giant cutting mat put down in his garage and he really build a full scale replica and those are............... hey wait a minute.

Those formers have print on them................. that is paper....................nevermind.:oops:

Go back to gawking.sign1
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This scale is quite up your alley. The build is really clean. Man I really have to get better at cutting and glueing. I want to build some better kits but ... =X

Oh well ... with my extra desktop and some 1" square tube... my hobby desk should be started and finished in the next few weeks. This way I can work on a project and have access to all my tools.
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yep, I'm quite pleased with working larger - I think it's going to be hard to ever go back small!

19. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

After seeing that extremely detailed cockpit above, I realized how much I must improve my skills. Gotta follow this thread. :thumb:

Keep the excellent work with this beauty.

20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finishing up the Wings

I thought I'd take a minute while completing the other wing and detail what I did on the tips this time. One thing I wanted to try on this model was to emulate real wingtip lights (Red and Green). Since I had to build the tip first and then put it on in order to make it easy to get the "light" installed, this served as another technique experiment. Here are the 2 tip parts, edge colored and glued together first. Note that I first cut out the triangle shaped "lights" that were printed on. Sorry about the depth of field focus!

Next is the view inside with the material for the lens glued in with some CA. I've painted part of the inside gray as well as some of the wing framing behind where you can see through the lens so you don't see the white card. I did not attempt to build a box or emulate a light inside.

The material I used is standard inkjet transparency film, on which I printed Red and Green squares. There's enough of this material on one sheet to do dozens of planes!

Then, slip the completed tip on! I really like doing them this way. You can control the glueing of the tip edges better, getting a closer match and less "pinch", and also get a good seam when you put it on because you can dry fit and trim as needed.

The lens result is not 100% right, in that done this way they are not flush with the outside edge of the skin as a real one would be, plus the edge is not rounded, bit using material like this, you can't really achieve that. It's good enough for me at this point.

Here's an overall view so far with the wings temporarily fitted with their spars (not glued yet, I'm waiting to test fit the flaps).