Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If that doesn't silence the mob then we will have to call in the riot police!

That is one nice engine!

And that is one of the best ignition ring and wires I seen on ANY model!

ummmmmmmm........... Is that engine made of paper?:grin:

2. damraska

damraska Member

That is just beautiful. I hate building radial engines, but when done right they are truely superlative.

3. Runkle

Runkle New Member

Glad to see your back at it. I was getting withdrawals, sweating, shacking...

Love your attention to detail and I have just the thing to go along with those case bolts:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Cool! That's the little medallion on the front of the case then? I wondered what that was!

5. Clashster

Clashster Member

One spectacular engine, Rick! Thanks for the update!

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Holy ceeeeerap! Magnificent!
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Well not much to say about that engine.....didn't like it at at all...Are you sure thats the best you could do??

Just kidding Rick!! Thats just a beautiful piece of cardmodelling!!
    Is it ok if I send you the parts for my JU52??
    You can just fiddle with it in your leasure time :)
    It's only 3 engines, so It wouldn't take you long to build them!

After seeing that I'm not sure If I dare to show pics of my build here....when that time comes.
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

WOW !!!! THat engine is truely awesome ! Superb job !!!
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, and thanks for hanging in here with me during the slow periods! And Johnny, I've got the JU-52 as well, so I'll have to deal with them sooner or later!

But actually, my next model almost surely will NOT feature a radial engine! I'm sorta burned out on them (wonder why?) and am ready for something a little more in the "fun" category next!

10. I need a Pin up girl. . .

11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Looks great. This is gonna be a front page build when it's done.
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You mean *IF* it ever gets done? :) At the rate I'm going, some may wonder! I've been skulking around assembling my vacuform rig and have made my canopy mold. Now I just have to have some time when I'm home and the domestic diva is at work! A few pics soon - promise!

13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Where Have I Been?

Your're doing an amazing job at improvising the build! I am actually beginning to think that 1:20 to 1:16 might be a better scale to build with card. More realistic detail is a leading reason to go this way. Quite a devoted following for this build and I am one of them, thanks!

Best regards,

14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I've been off this thread for a while, but peeked in this morning to catch up. Amazing!
  15. airbob

airbob Member

Holy Smolly, Wowzers!!!:rofl:
  16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks again all for the kind comments! A little bit of progress to report. The gallery upload seems to be broken, so I'll post pics in line for now.

Here are the tail control surfaces attached. I did not hinge them. Not smart enough to figure out how without some significant redesign....

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

So, since this is an upscale, there surely is not a commercially made canopy available! I've been wanting to join the ranks of Ted, Carl, Shrike, and others, so now was the time to set up my own vacuforming rig!

I got an unfinished jewelry box from Michaels and did the holes on the bottom, sealed shut the top (which is now the bottom). Mine's a bit larger probably than others since this project called for a large canopy. I hope it won't prove to be too large later on for smaller stuff!

Shown here is the box and the finished canopy mold made from the sculpy clay, baked, and sanded. Like Ted, I stole some of the kid's legos for a temporary stand.

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm using the standard (by now) clipboard plastic holder, and added some good strong clamps to the sides.

For now I've decided to go "old school" and used the stovetop / 2x4 stand method to melt the plastic and found it worked well. It might be a function of the thicker (0.020") plastic I'm using, but I found the melt quite slow and controlled. I thought I was going to be really rushed lest I melt the plastic to the stovetop if I didn't move quick enough!

One thing I noticed - as soon as you peel the protective film from the plastic it has a lot of static attraction for every mote of dust in the room! I spent a lot of time getting it all off!

19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And here is my finished first attempt. It came out OK, but I'll probably do some more to try to get it better. Among other things, I think I made the shoulders of the mold too pronounced where the canopy edges are to be and this made the bottom edge areas flare out too much.

20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

This looks very good!
    Man, I had enough - I'm going to Michaels to get me a wooden box :grin: