Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Ah, yes, Thansksgiving centerpiece! I'm SURE she would approve!! :grin:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yep, those new P47s are fabulous - works of art! If I had not already started this one, I would probably be going down that road. The Tempest is a definate possibility though, but I must resist for a while until I can clear a little off the stack first!
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

You are doing a superb job on this build!

Although I prefer ships, I am enjoying seeing how this build is coming along; excellent narrative and photos that nicely complement your talented work.

Looking forward to seeing you build the detailed engine!

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Man this is huge! Looks like things scaled up well, and the dinning room table gets my vote for display area! Not that any of our votes hold water when compared to the awesome power of spousehood!
  5. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

A question

I see in the pictures, near the end of the root of the wing, a bump on both the sides of the model. Is It the end of the fairing of the root of the wing? Is It foreseen in the model or is It a your improvement? I don't know the model and You are doing a so fine build that that cannot be a mistake. :)

It's a very interesting build and I follow it with passion because the Jug was one of my preferred planes.

Best, Nando
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, it's as designed. The best way to descibe is with a picture, see below. The front (right side) skin piece is notched to go around the protrusion in the former. The rear skin actually has a tiny tab strip to form around the knob, something for the back of the fairing to glue to. Seems like a clever design trick - we'll see later! :)

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Meager progess lately. Here are the fixed tail bits in place. This model is NOT designed for moveable control surfaces. I've been looking at it trying to figure a way to do it anyway, but so far I'm stumped as the design does not make this easy without major mods. Frankly, I don't think it's terribly important on a static display model, but I'll continue to noodle it a bit. I'm not putting the rudder and elevators on until later anyway.

For now, it's on to the engine.

8. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very sweet looking! Why stop at moveable control surfaces? Why not retractable landing gear, working engine... I mean you could take the easy way out... :grin: Great job, so far!!

9. barry

barry Active Member

Awesome will do as a comment I think it's so damn clean
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Excellent build!
    One thing... My friend Gaby here wants to know when his plane will roll off the assembly line and be ready for action :grin:

Figure is 1:18 scale (might be a tad to big for the model...) but in case you want one, he is available for $3.99 from here (bottom of the page, P-38 pilot)
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

The realism you are imparting to this build is just amazing!!

Quite an outstanding bit of work...this is just a brilliant build.

13. I need a Pin up girl. . .

14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Me thinks I hear cups rattling again the cage......................:grin:
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

More work, more work, more work!!!!!!
  16. Maharg

Maharg Member

I hate it when what I have to do gets in the way of what I want to do. :)
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, yes, I've not abandoned everyone! :) I'm working on the motor and have not done any interim shots. And I've been even SLOWER than usual. Travel, plus setting up a change of jobs (you know, that all-intrusive real life stuff :grin:), which involves a lot of time so not much modeling time of late.
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

No, the thread is NOT dead!

Can it be? An update? :)

Been working on the motor, time consuming even with a lot of modelling time, which I've not had! Plus I went slow, trying to make it look better than the last ones I've done, and I am pleased with the result. Here she is, all 350+ parts!

As you can see, I added a few extras. Laser cut nuts from Draf Model really add a nice "dimension". The ignition harness is some large floral wire wrapped around the top of an Aleen's glue bottle to get the circle shape, then CA'd the "wires" onto that. The material I used for the wires is really great stuff - it's 1mm "Stretch Magic" bead and jewelry cord. This stuff actually feels like rubber coated wire. It's a bit shinier than I'd like, but we'll pretend this is a brand new engine right off the assembly line!

19. :-o
    Cheers, Billy
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Holy Moly! 350+ parts! A model all by itself!
    You should have done a build thread for just the engine!

Beautiful work! This looks like one of those classics that you just have to hang a large version on the wall! It's artistic!

Glad to see that you are still plugging along on this build!