Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rick............ check with your nearest public library. They just might would love to display it for you!:wink:
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Next up is the right cockpit side wall. Unlike most Halinski kits, this one is flat, and has framework that is built up to the outside, as seen here. The whole thing slides in between the bulkheads when done.

I was a bit alarmed in that I had to trim a good bit off the length of this part to fit between the bulkheads. I test fit the inner skin part to my framework to check to make sure I did not have the bulkheads way off, and it seems spot-on perfect, so this piece must have just been designed a little too big. At 1:33 it would have been a little less alarming! :)

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's all for now, but I did spend a few minutes making a very rough bit holder that Carl and Ted might appreciate, to hold all the Screw Punch bits. I was getting really tired of fishing them out of the little baggies they came in, but I did not just want to just dump them all together into a bin.

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

White Oak........Red Oak........... no matter that will last for a looong time!:twisted:

I have got to get me one of those punches............. somebody call the wife and get her out of the house for a little bit................please.

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'll distract for you... :) Seriously, it is expensive, but the best money I've spent yet on any single modelling tool for sure!

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That is the coolest thing! I think I'll scour my scrap heap for a bit o" paper on the hoof" and make me one of them! Thanks for thr idea Rick!
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good idea! In fact I've been looking for a box to put the entire tool set in. This tool works so well it's akin to magic. Despite the cost I already covet the thing...,

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Oh, yeah...this tool has become too essential for so many jobs! Beats trying to find little brass tubes and grinding them down to make paper punchers.:)

This build is immaculate! You've done a brilliant job of it, Rick. I love the cockpit, guages are perfectly done and the seat belts...I don't think I've seen a better job of it.

Your photos are so crisp and clear, as well, doing justice to your expert work.

Keep at it, mate!

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks again guys! "Paper on the hoof" - good one! Add that one to "Paper Ore" (don't recall who coined that one).

10. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

How about feral paper or imbedded model storage module.

Sorry - The model is great. It truly demonstrates just what can be done with this medium.
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Next bit of cockpit detail - the right wall and it's "hangers on".

There are a few bits of extra detail here. Most obvious is the oxygen hose and the fitting at the free end. It's made from very thick floral wire, wrapped with thin floral wire ("paddle wire", actually, 26ga) and painted.

The red radio buttons are also wire, cut a good bit longer than needed, and pushed down through holes made in the box with a pin before cutting it out. Then flow some CA on from the back to hold them in place.

I'm printing 2 of each part sheet, a thick one that's more or less the proper upscaled thickness and one from normal 65lb stock. I'm using the thin version for most of the folded and rolled bits. That leaves another copy of each part, and where there is detail printed such as knobs, I'm using my punch to cut just that little bit out and paste to the larger part, to get a bit more 3D effect.

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You are definetly outdoing yourself bit by bit, outstanding work!
  13. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

This is an invaluable thread to those of us who have the desire to scale up some of the very small (in 1:33) scale WW-ll aircraft, just to push some size into them. I would love to do it with a Sopwith Camel or something like that. I'm sure there are kits out there in larger scales, but its nice to pick and choose as you have done with the Halinsky.

Wonderful stuff - keep it coming.

14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Quite extraordinary work!

I just happen to know that he even modeled the oxygen in the oxygen hose.:grin:

Really amazing...and neat!

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Left side of cockpit done. A few extra knobs and such added.

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finished cockpit, left side:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And right side again. The inner skins also carry some fairly involved sills and frames that meet with those white spots here on the tops of the cockpit walls. I'll show those another day...

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's one beautiful cockpit, Rick!
    All the extra knobs and buttons really add to the "Wow" effect![​IMG]

19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

jeez, am I ever a slacker......

20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member