Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Excellant work, the enlarged details really stand out. I'm waiting with baited breath for the instrument panel, there are so many possiblities in this scale, good luck. You might check out Mindaugase's He-111 build for a few ideas for the instrument bezel things.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I feel the same way about tires! Ever since I was a kid and read/saw the hot butter knife touched to the plastic wheel to create the effect.

Also........... since you have this going in giant scale............ what about a motor for turning that big ole prop? Should be enough room for it to go unseen.

That sound thing that Padre found.....

could be a nice edition for this big bird..............there should be enough of us MacGyver types around that could help make it happen if you want.

Say the word...................get the bird!

3. Texman

Texman Guest

Bird is the word! Don't you know about "the bird", well everyones heard about the bird.

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oh, you have to know I listened to every clip on that site. I was truly amazed!! But alas, I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet - but it got me thinkin'...

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've experimented with the rings as M and many others have done but I've settled on your method actually. I think the double layer with plastic looks quite nice and is not NEARLY so tedious as the rings. I do intend to add a few switches and lights but I'm not anxious to go overboard at this point in my "career". :)

6. shrike

shrike Guest

If you make your tyres out of laminations shaped in the dremel, you can use a little bit of water to make a bulge. Carefully apply a drop of hot water to one spot on the tread (Find the spot with the minor flaw - I always have one<G>) Once the paper softens up, you can mash it into the table top and you have a flat spot.
    For the most part airplane tyres don't bulge that much, even with a full load so if it's noticeable at all, it's probably about right.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here is the front of the instrument panel. Like I mentioned before, I tried the tiny wire rings around the gauge enhancement and was not really happy with it and the tedium of doing it. So I've stolen Ted's method of printing 2 copies of the panel, using the screw punch on one of them and trapping some thin plastic in between to simulate glass (which due to light positions, you can't see here). I think this method looks nice and is WAY easier to boot. I have a added a couple of switches and a knob and made the indicator lights more 3D. That's about all the extra detail I care to add to this.

There are a ton of little "cans" to put on the back of the panel to represent the backide of the gauges. a pic of those later...

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Good work! What did you make the switches out of? They look cool!
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That does look great! Dang, I've got to get me one of those screw punches!
    Nicely done!
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Russell, they seem pretty pricey but I'd buy a whole new one over in 2007 prices for all the work it saves! Knock on wood it is still going strong and sharp, hundreds of holes later!
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Very nice build! I love to see upscale or downscale models come together!
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Rick........... I think you are gaining more speed!

Shrike.......... now why didn't I think of that! Great tip man!
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I agree 100% ted. When I first saw the cost ($65) I hesitated, but I'm glad I went ahead. It's just hard to describe how nice this tool is, how easy it cuts, and the obvious high quality materials.

And the switches are just very tiny wire with some blobs of glue/silver paint mixture.

14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Rick,

A ton of cans to model the back of the instrument panel? I can see that in the Heinkel, but who would see them in your Jug? Other than your 1/20 scale groundcrew head down under the panel of course.

Been there done that a few generations of A/C later

Rick (an other one)
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Actually, they should be visible - the skin only comes up to the former in front of the cans. Not extremely visible, granted, but somewhat there, sort of maybe, it seems.... :grin:

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Sorta visible, well ok.

I'm not that picky my self.
  17. Maharg

Maharg Member

Great work rlwhitt, I prefer the larger scales as my eyes and fingers just can't cope with the tiny fittings in some of the better models.
    BTW, what's a screw punch?
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

19. Maharg

Maharg Member

Thanks for the link mate. Looks like a great tool. :)
  20. Maurice

Maurice Member