Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hadn't thought about using it for reinforcements, but that might be a good idea!

I was really thinking in terms of wheels. I'd like to make something a little more realistic for this one, perhaps with the little diamond pattern treads. I think I need to step beyond laminated cardboard for something like that. Still in thought mode on it...

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Is that JSC as in the ship model JSC? I didn't even know they made planes.

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Too bad. A parallel build would be cool, though at our relative rates of production, it would not be parallel for long (say, mabe a day?) :grin:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I told you guys I was slow, and here is the evidence. I've cut maybe 6 parts, and I've already got a mod to make! As designed, the wings mount to the fuselage with short stubby little spars. I'm thinking this is a place where I'll need extra strength, so I'm changing it a bit to make the spars solid all the way through, so that will entail extending the slots through the center of the structure. I don't know if this picture is very clear, but it shows the parts I'm modifying.

One problem I will have is that the spars angle up a bit beyond the fuselage sides for dihedral, so to make them fit through, I'll have to shave a bit off the lower "corners" on one side to make the "turn". It's hard to describe, I know. They also don't extend very far into the wings, and I hope to push that out a bit too.

In addition, I'll probably make the spars out of thin plywood for extra strength. Like has been said before, extra steps may be needed to make things stronger at this larger size, at least so far as the wings go. Everything else should be good to go as designed.

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Can you describe it so even I can understand? I'm all for less mods.

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

A little progess. After much heavy knife work, the main framework around the cockpit. In one aspect, this plane is a good choice to upsize since it DOES have a lot of framework (amazingly, probably 90% coverage!) and will thus have the needed strength. However it's a chore to cut all these formers in 1.6mm stock!

I think I see another advantage to large scale. Can't get too close with the camera on those overall structure shots - thus not as much fault-finding! :)

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You have an Idea there! Bigger=less fault finding! Yes I think that would work! Oh Oh, The only fly in the ointment is one of scale; what happens when we get to a twin engine or larger uber fighter or something. My garage is being shared with a sailboat, 7 bikes, 2 lawnmowers, 1 snowblower and refrigerator filled with some beer! Not much more room there!
    Anyhow this looks good so far, keep it rolling!
  9. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Building Material

1.6mm = about 1/16 inch. Would a foam board material work in this application? I know it is not strictly "paper", but it would be easier to cut! The stuff I'm thinking of has a paper coating on both sides, so only the cut edges would leave faom exposed. I'n not sure if it comes as thin as 1/16, but I'm sure it is available in 1/8.

Your project is getting my creative though processes flowing, thinking of other kits I could try to enlarge. My only hold up now is a lack of a scanner. Anyone know if Kinko's has scanning capabilities?

10. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

That looks like it's going to a rather large bird. Looking forward to seeing more pict's.

11. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Why not use balsa wood. I've been contenplating that for a while instead of using cardboard on regular sized models.

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I don't think I'd want to replace frames like these with wood, since these are plenty strong enough. And I am trying to stick as close as is practical to all paper. Much cheaper to boot! I don't mind investigating alternate materials for things that are difficult to do right with paper, so that's why I'm considering foam or balsa for the wheels to get more 3D accuracy.

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Better usea balsa at this scale................ you will need tire treads:grin:

Also it's easier to glue extra to the bottom to sculpt into the tire bulge from the planes weight.

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Onward to cockpit detail...

Here are the rudder pedals mounted to the shelf that will also hold the instrument panel.

When I first saw these parts, I thought - "wonder why they have church doors in this kit?" :)

As you can see from the cube, the pedals at this scale are ~1 cm wide. I've already decided I REALLY like the detail stuff at this scale. This was not nearly as tedious and frustrating as it would have been at 1:33.

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Shelf with pedals mounted. I've started the instrument panel, but it's a fairly significant piece - no pics yet.

16. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Nice, clean work. What sort of material did you use for the rudder pedal linkages?
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Funny (maybe not) that you mentioned "tire bulge". I've been admiring these super detailed builds with the realistic tires and trying to figure out how to get all that done and with what material. I notice the wheels on planes a lot for some reason, and so that's one subject I hope to push myself on with this one.

18. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

I knew this was going to be good!
  19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks Chris!

If by linkages you mean the round bits, it's just very thick floral wire. About 1.5mm thick.