Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Continuing on with the wheels, here are both strut and wheel assemblies and the landing gear door main components.

Views of the mounted wheels and doors

View of the belly. The mounts here are for the external fuel tank. I don't really like the look of these, and I especially didn't like this one, so I'm leaving it off.

Engine again - this time with the firewall mounted

Cowl assembly. The kit provides two formers that are used to shape the cowl. I joined them with a tube to hold alignment and distance

I deviated a bit for the spinner. The kit provides one of those flower petal ended tubes, which I despise. I wrapped a whole lot of paper with titebond, then rough cut and sanded smooth. Here is the roughed spinner.

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finished at last!!!!!!

Some overall views and closeup of prop and engine area:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Superb! and look at allthose kills! The level of detail is awesome. thanks a ton for sharing the build with us.
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

5. Texman

Texman Guest

Now that is impressive! I will be using some of your innovations and lessons, even in 1/144. I love the way your prop hub turned out. And the tires. And the ... well, you know.

Simply puts me to shame. I'm going to sob quietly now.

6. AdamN

AdamN Member

Fun and Inspiring...

Nice work. Makes me wish I had the time to spend. I worked like crazy this past weekend on a P-51 that I thought looked pretty good, but its not as detailed as your kit. Seeing all your tips has me wishing I had more than a weekend to spend playing.

Keep up the great work, and keep on showing it off. Such a treat!
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Fantastic job from start to finish, Rick! 2 thumbs up! :thumb::thumb:
    Can't thank you enough for sharing this build with us!
    Truly spectacular!:cool:

8. josve

josve Active Member

I went through the thread again tonight and had a really good time!!
    Your sence for detailperfection is outstanding Rick!!
    Hats off to you!
  9. Rev

Rev Member

Hey, can you take a picture of someone holding this fine model you have built? I am having a hard time seeing the scale, just how big is it?
  10. It belongs in a museum.....
    Cheers, Billyaussie
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks all! Russ, as for size, it's a bit over 2' wingspan and about 22" long.

12. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Awesome!!! Incredibly detailed.... :eek:
    This beauty deserves a good place to be admired. It must be big too....
    What is the overall size of the completed plane? (H, W, L)
    Congratulations again! Masterpiece indeed!
  13. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

A beautiful model!

What are your thoughts now of this large scale experiment versus sticking to the original kit?

14. Gainer

Gainer Member

I wanted the model until i heard how many engine parts there were, this purchase will take a lot of thinking. NICE BUILD
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I really like working in larger scale. Planes that go beyond 1000 parts IMHO are too taxing at 1:33 to be enjoyable. I REALLY enjoyed doing this one and I'm sure I will do it again in the future, probably with the Halinski Dauntless. The downsides are that the print does not look as nice as the original (maybe not obvious in the pics as in person) and the amount of pre-build prep required. But the ease of build helps soothe those problems! :)

Yes, the motor is formidable, but my 350 count included the extra "wires" and such!

Again, thanks all for keeping with this for as long as it took. I was not able to build as often as I would like in these last months.

16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

this model is a big pice of ART
  17. dovbear88

dovbear88 New Member

Sounds a little squirrerly but that's why we do this stuff, right? I would like to hear how you do, and how it goes. May it all be good for you!
  18. lubinzer

lubinzer New Member

It's great job!!!!
    thanks for your job~
  19. Janx

Janx Member

I wouldn't have said it was card if I hadn't read the thread, an incredible build. I'll just whimper in this corner a bit... :thumb:
  20. Gainer

Gainer Member

A big piece of art, that may be the understatement of the millenium, it's more than a masterpiece, words can't decribe it.