Build: Up-Scale 1:20, Republic P-47D-25, Halinski 3/06

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Excellent job Rick! You did a simple but still great modification with the lights.:thumb:
    I have a GPM bird (F8F-1 Bearcat) that I´m intending to do something like this, plus adding some leds in the spot to make the lights actually turn on. But I had no idea how to do it until now. :twisted: I think this bird will be my first thread here, who knows.
    Maybe someone already did it, if so, I didn´t see it, sorry.

Rick, your plane is turning into a masterpiece :inw::inw::inw::inw::inw:
    Can´t wait to see it complete.

Keep us updated.
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Very ingenious and well done. My only question and suggestion might be,
    if you take the original cutout light portion, and cut the exact same size,
    it might provide the flush fit of the real light.

Just a thought,

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This is one fantastic build, Rick! Beautiful work!

I know if Halinski saw it, he would be proud of you and the plane!

Kudos! Keep up the nice work!

4. Rev

Rev Member

Sweet build, very impressive. Please hold the finish plane in a picture so that we can get an accurate idea of the size of this build. Awesome.
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Now to finish the wings. Here is an installed aileron:

And the next 2 are of the fairing pieces at the wing root, which are fairly large in this model. The rear part blends in with a tab strip that was installed as part of the fuselage skin way back in time:

Next up are flaps. Even these are built like a tank, with tons of framework:

Finished flaps, top and bottom, showing the hinge parts. The kit comes with 2 sets of hinge parts, one like this for mounting the flaps extended, and a short set for mounting them in the retracted position:

Finally, the flaps mounted:

Now its on to landing gear (ugh!)
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

As is my general habit, I start the landing gear with the tail wheel so I'm not banging the mains up later trying to put the tail in. This tailwheel has a good bit of detail, as is Halinksi's usual design. Too bad it all gets covered up in the next step! Alas, I'm dumb enough to do the detail as good as I can just for the picture!

Like I said, now you see it, now you don't! Finished tail wheel with safety cover on and the doors mounted.

Can't put it off any longer, main landing gear is next, and my least favorite part of it are the wheels, so I'll do them first. I know you guys have seen wheels made a million times, but I'm going to try something new (for me) on these a couple of steps in, so I'll just go ahead and show it all.

First is just the laminated circles glued together. The one on the right has been rough shaped with an X-Acto knife. I suggest using Titebond or a similar good woodworking glue to stick the plates together, as it dries hard and is sandable, unlike most of the normal white glues.

Next shot is after they've been sanded while spun in a dremel tool. I had to cut recesses into the sides as these wheels are so big that it was too thick for the mandrel screw to reach through. After sanding, I brushed on a coat of Titbond, and sanded it smooth after drying to lay down the paper fuzzies.

Lastly for today is a picture of what I'm going to try to attempt on these wheels. I'm going to try to cut cross hatching on them to simulate diamond pattern tread. This oughta be fun! :)

7. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

It's outstanding!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    It's great to see that you are doing the small details even if they are going to be covered. I like this attitude a lot. At least for those who doesn't know how to do or never did it (like myself), count as a good example.
    And what about those tires.... Gonna be beautiful.:yep:

8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Incredible worksmanship :thumb:
    This plane will be really something to look at!

Wheels - looking at your roughly cut wheels gave me an idea...
    Usually the wheel circles are supplied in the same diameter. I'm thinking about cutting them smaller as I move away from the centerline to get a rough wheel this way - this should also help with sanding of the wheel on the Dremel tool...

As for the diamond pattern - are you going to do it by hand or you have some templetae you will use?
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Actually, most of the ones I've done HAVE stepped the size down a bit away from center. These do, as you can see a little in the left size rough wheel.

As for the diamond pattern, my idea is to make a paper template to lay out pencil marks equidistant around the perimeter where the tire curve starts on both sides and then "connect the dots" at angles to lay out all the tread lines and then cut them with a razor saw. A lot of work, but I really wanted to try to stay with paper, just to see if I can, rather than go to some sort of molding.

10. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

about diamonds on tires ...

... what do you think to use the template not only to mark on the tire the position of the diamonds, but also to use the diamonds of the template cut away and then glued on the tire many times for to reach the needed thickness?

I haven't words to describe how incredible is the job you are doing jawdropjawdropjawdropjawdropjawdrop
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I may be misunderstanding what you suggest, but do you mean add treads, and thus diameter? The wheels are really already as big around as I want so I wouldn't want to add to it, thus I plan to cut the grooves.

12. Maharg

Maharg Member

I thought of this idea rlwhitt, what about using a Rotary tool with a cutting disk. Scribe the tread marks then follow the groves with the cutter. You would need a steady hand, (that leaves me out. :))
    Then clean the groves with some wet & dry doubled. I hope this helps.

All the best.
  13. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

josve's wheels

May be the josve's wheels can better explain what i want to mean
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yeah, that's an option and I'll probably test it to see. I don't have a very steady hand either, and I'm going to have to find a way to mount the wheel while I work on it.

15. Maharg

Maharg Member

Try a bolt the same size as the axle with a couple of washers and a locking nut to hold it firmly, then put the bolt into a vice or something similar.
    I have a small hobby vice that clamps to my bench when I need it, I'm always using my third hand. :)
  16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

So I've finally got one wheel done (sans the hubs) and here are the steps I took. First, I decided how many treads I wanted. Judging from the previous picture of a real wheel, I initially guessed 36, but they ended up too small, so I tried 30, and thought that looked about right. You can see in this picture that I made a little template to use to make little tick marks around the perimeter on both sides. As for making the template, simple deal. I fired up Excel, and made a plain (no color) pie graph with 30 equal slices!

Then I connected the dots on both sides with pencil, skipping 3 down in this case to get a pleasing angle.

Then comes cutting the slots. I tried several things. I tried using the razor saw first, the cutoff wheel first, but finally settled on something I could control better. I used an X-Acto knife to slice around along the lines cutting sort of a V. Then I used the razor saw to deepen and square the slots a little.

Finally, the painted wheel. I don’t have a very steady hand, so this is a bit rough. The lines aren’t exactly straight and the treads aren’t all the same size and shape. Oh well, it looks OK from a handheld distance, and that’s good enough for me.

I was in the hobby shop a little while back and saw some perfect size Dubro R/C wheels with straight tread. I was sorely tempted. Picked them up and put them down about half a dozen times. While I’m not a Paper Purist by any stretch, I finally decided that if I CAN do a decent wheel in paper I will do so rather than wuss out and go with the nice looking rubber ones.

To wrap up this post, a hobby shop find that all you folks turning wheels with a rotary tool are going to want. I stumbled across a Pinewood Derby supply and tool rack and found this. It can chuck up almost a half inch width! Much better than the Dremel cutoff wheel mandrel. I wish I’d had this a week ago!

17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That wheel looks fantastic to me!:cool:
    I can certainly understand your dilemma.
    I too want to take the easy route sometimes and sometimes I do, but you appreciate the finished model more when you do the whole thing by hand.

Beautiful work Rick and a nice little wheel tutorial to boot!:thumb:
    Thanks for sharing it!

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I think that's really what it boils down to for me as well, Russell. A sense of pride and accomplishment of having made something out of pretty much nothing. That to me is the whole appeal of card modelling as opposed to plastic. That, and I don't like to paint much! :)

19. Maharg

Maharg Member

Great job on the wheels M8.:thumb:

The mandrel looks like a handy item, thanks.
  20. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Super job, Rick