Build thread: Millenium Falcon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by causticphlegm, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm confused... did he play with it, or sit on it?

tough break there (no pun intended) what are you going to do now?

I'm hearing some line from a movie in my head... something about "build it bigger, stronger... we can build it again"
  2. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

OH NO! It was looking so good too! can you salvage any of it? maybe the sidewall detail sections? :eek:
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Man I hate when that happens. . . How old was the little snot? If he's a day over six, that's completely unacceptable in my book. :curse:

Maybe you could enter it in the Starship Modeler "Wrecks" contest.
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Well, after the yelling abated (mine), I gathered some intel from my son (who I was just as mad at for letting him play with it) who said he was basically playing "Smash into the DeathStar", the DeathStar being my kid's bedroom wall aparently.

And no, nothing is salvageable. I got 3 commercial models on the way so the likelihood of me trying again are infinitely small.
  5. 57townsman

57townsman Member

OH NOOooo :eek:

R2 didn't get the trash compactor shut down in time :cry: I do hope you will rebuild another though. I really enjoyed watching your build progress.

6. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

Darn, I was learning a lot from your I have to make my own mistakes......crap
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I think I'll start mine and do a build-diary. This page has been an excellent help with understanding some confusing parts of the model.
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

oh my god!!!!!!! i feel your pain!! my condolences! what now?
  9. jparenti

jparenti Member

Well, this officially ruins my day. I just found this thread, and was skimming along, watching the progress, and BAM! Fin. :cry:
    No matter what, it was shaping up beautifully, and I admire your skills. If you ever try it again, let us in on it. Either way, thanks for sharing, and remember it's just paper! (Which is what I told myself when my dog got hold of my 1/48 LEM. :mrgreen:)
  10. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Well, that's the thing. After I calmed down (and feeling like crap for terrifying the poor kid) I realized that it IS only paper. In this hobby it's my belief that the journey is more important than the destination. To me the building is the greatest part, not the possesion of a finished model. Sure, it would've been nice to have it completed and sitting on my bookshelf, a testament to my growing skills. But having it would only remind me of the work and dedication that WENT INTO IT. And the fact that it never got completed doesn't change the fact that I was damn proud of it.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

This model was coming along great - it's a shame to see it finish as it did. I look forward to seeing your build of whatever you decide to work on next.

I have found that there's only a couple places in the house where I can store models. Between 2 very curious cats and my 1 1/2 year old - there's not only height restrictions, but only high areas that don't have nearby 'jump' points will work. My ME262 took a fall of over 6' because I didn't take the jump points into consideration, luckily it fell onto carpet behind the TV stand so it stayed safe at that point until I got home.
    As I'm working on models, I have to make sure they are away any time I leave the table - as I have found the cats trying to chew on them if I just walk away from the table for a few minutes.
  12. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I think we all have had stories of a similar nature with the kids, pets, or even our own frustrations have destroyed models....

Ironically I had a 'falcon get killed in at similar point in the construction...sign1
    mine I killed myself though... (discovered that my pages were almost all printed at different sizes.....)

Sorry to hear about yours though. it was lookin greatwall1wall1wall1
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

It is difficult to hide models from curious hands (or paws, or talons, or whatever). I"ve found that a shelf height of about 6 feet is sufficient to ensure that by the time they can reach, they're mature enough NOT to. Usually.
    Then again, my bedroom door has a lock. :mrgreen:
  14. matrix73

matrix73 New Member

A similar thing happened to me as a child my dad spent many hours making me model airplanes and lots of really cool hot rods. Then one day while i was at school, my mum's friend came to visit. She brought her son who should have been at school too. Anyway to cut a long story short, he broke the lock to my bed room and destroyed nearly every single one. Lets just say i don't think my parent ever saw them again
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Oh dear. First time I checked into this thread for a few days. What a shock, it was looking so good. Don't give up, please try again, you were making a very good looking model. Just don't let him at it again.
  16. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

I had the same thing happen to the Taschen Titanic model I was working on. My wife wanted me to salvage it and make a diorama of it sinking.

"R2, shut down all the grade schoolers on the detention level!"