Build : Pristontale Archer

M

Mark_1984

Hi Folks, Now that the U-boat is finished I've decided to have a bash at the Pristontale Archer. It's a lovely looking model, all pre-cut and pre-scored, so it shouldn't take too long to build. I enjoyed the Knight and am looking forward to this one.

Here's the cover
archer1.jpg

Made a start with two feet (or should that be two 304.8mm's !!:twisted: Only kidding :roll: )

foot.jpg

C

cgutzmer

lots of nice figures as of late - this one looks to be another!
Chris

I have this model too, Mark, but haven't started it yet. I've read several build summaries by folks who have assembled it, and there seems to be a common problem: the figure tends to lean backwards a bit when completed. I don't know if the problem is in the ankle joint, or the hips, or somewhere else. Just something I thought you'd like to know while you're putting her together. Good luck, looking forward to this thread.
Regards,
Don

M

Mark_1984

Legs :eek:)

Hi folks,

I've made good progress with the legs.

ankle.jpg

Here is the ankle. Well, I think it's sort of the top of the shoe and a sock that hasn't been pulled up properly (I don't know, somebody should teach these girls how to dress themselves ;))

ankle2.jpg

It was a bit tricky getting the sock thing to fit properly. The shoe needed squashing so it would go down properly, and the inside of the sock was too small and needed a trim so that it would fit over the first section of leg.

leg1.jpg

The rest of the leg went fine. She's got quite shapely legs, for a card model !! (Hmmmm - I think I need to get out more ;))

skirt1.jpg

The skirt looks a little tricky - starts off with two weird shaped strips that are somehow supposed to be glued together :???:

She's coming along fine :D

Don mentioned that the finished model has a tendancy to tip over. I was thinking about dropping some small coins into the feet to lower her centre of gravity (well, she's got quite a bit up top :twisted: ) Any thoughts about the if this is a good idea, and how to glue them so they don't rattle about ?

M

Mark_1984

Legs :eek:)

Hi folks,

I've made good progress with the legs.

ankle.jpg

Here is the ankle. Well, I think it's sort of the top of the shoe and a sock that hasn't been pulled up properly (I don't know, somebody should teach these girls how to dress themselves ;))

ankle2.jpg

It was a bit tricky getting the sock thing to fit properly. The shoe needed squashing so it would go down properly, and the inside of the sock was too small and needed a trim so that it would fit over the first section of leg.

leg1.jpg

The rest of the leg went fine. She's got quite shapely legs, for a card model !! (Hmmmm - I think I need to get out more ;))

skirt1.jpg

The skirt looks a little tricky - starts off with two weird shaped strips that are somehow supposed to be glued together :???:

She's coming along fine :D

Don mentioned that the finished model has a tendancy to tip over. I was thinking about dropping some small coins into the feet to lower her centre of gravity (well, she's got quite a bit up top :twisted: ) Any thoughts about the if this is a good idea, and how to glue them so they don't rattle about ?

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Looking great so far! How about some split shot fishing weights? You could use white/carpenters glue to fix them in place. Coat the weights and drop them into the boots :)

SteveK

thewoodengraver

Nov 4, 2005
www.thewoodengraver.com
Mark_1984 said:

I am wondering if this is even a problem. It looks to me as though the figurette is supposed to lean backwards...according to the cover.
Weights would definately insure she don't appear drunk...lol

She looks good Mark...let us know how your muchly needed " Night on the Town" goes!

Jackrum

Jan 23, 2007
I glued a roll of 1p pieces into both feet. Yours is looking great so far! I'm currently sweating though the head and hair, already had to fabricate a missing piece but other than that no problems. Other builders have encountered a problem where the left leg ends up pointing too far back. I didn't encounter this problem I think because I had the weights in her feet to keep the posture while the glue was drying. Oh and be careful with the thumbs and shoulders Good luck!

M

Mark_1984

Hi Jackrum, My left leg is pointing a little too far forward, but not enough to worry. She just rocks a little.

I'm having great problems with the left had and the moment - I just can't work out how part 65 (the palm of the left hand) is supposed to go :(

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
My way of preventing figures from leaning over is to glue it to a cardboard base. And leaning is quite natural according to the way humans are supposed to stand

M

Mark_1984

Time for an innuendo (or two)

Made loads of progress recently.

legs2.jpg

Here are a nice pair of legs.

knickers.jpg

Ohhh errr missus ...... white knickers :twisted:

legs3.jpg

I had a bit of trouble getting her legs together. I spent ages fiddling about inside her knickers :eek:ops:

skirt2.jpg

The skirt was easier than expected, apart from a couple of bits where the folds didn't want to lay flat.

skirt3.jpg

The part were the hoops of the skirt joined gave me a little problem. Either I folded them at the wrong angle, or the fourth & fifth 'hoops' were too long. suspect the former, but as it simply meant that I had to trim them to length it didn't matter. Here's a close-up of the problem area. I think it went OK.

legs4.jpg

If the skirt was something she 'just threw on' - she almost missed :-D

legs5.jpg

The design is very clever, and the skirt hugs her shapely bum nicely. (Yup - I REALLY need to get out more ;))

Jackrum

Jan 23, 2007
Looking good and clean man, I've just got to do the Bow and find the missing piece 156 and I'm done :)

Jackrum

Jan 23, 2007
Looking good and clean man, I've just got to do the Bow and find the missing piece 156 and I'm done :)

Jackrum

Jan 23, 2007
Thought I'd give you a heads up on problems with the Bow, it has too many tabs and won't fit together as is. some trimming is in order :( I was surprised as apart from that this is a high quality kit.

M

Mark_1984

Sorry about the lack of pictures at the moment. The photos are on my own web space, and for some unknown reason the provider has decided to suspend my account. :mad:

I hope it will be a temporary situation, otherwise I'll be looking for a new provider very very soon.

Edit : Ah ha !!!! Pics back up now. Damned service provider thought I hadn't paid :mad: