Build Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rmks2000, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I suffer from design paralysis, I just can't seem to finish the design and it is 95% done. I decided to try building the Avia B534 just to build something, I am doing just a little everyday. I wonder why it happens. I built a recumbent trike last year, welded a frame designed from scratch, disc brakes, the works. I put it together, rode about 15 miles in it and it has sat in my barn unpainted, bare metal. I think it may be because I finished it in my head. I wonder if that counts.
  2. David H

David H Member

That's a good point, mental completion, like substantive completion in construction, OK yous guys, we accept you have finished save X, Y and Z...

I just get stuck between work, family and new things to do... Like I am at the moment!

3. Grizz

Grizz Member

Hi guys,

I finish what I start, I just don't start very many. My biggest problem is that I let myself get easily distracted. Heres a couple of scenarios;

1. Come home from work, decide to do some modelling. Do my daily check of the forums and find a thread I haven't read before. Before I know it the thread has been consumed, I have followed numerous web links to read about the subject matter and go to bed thoroughly entertained.

2. Day off, check my pile of printouts to decide what will be the next sacrificial offering to the gods of blunt knives and glue smudges. Spend the next two hours engrossed in wonderful designs and creative layouts. Decide to print some more and do some more oogling (is that a word?). End result enjoyed myself again but nothing built.

With the Easter holidays coming up I will probably finish the Millenium Falcon I started during my Christmas holidays.

4. Teamski

Teamski Member

Luckily, I've finished everything I started. I'm an impatient cuss, so 1:400 works really well. It has a good balance between detail and size. 1:200 scares me. I'm afraid of getting bogged down in the details, i.e. etched railings, rigging, etc. I can deal with really small stuff, thats not the problem, but having to spend days and days on it would drive me nuts, hehehehe....

5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

My two cents

So far I've finished every model I've started (27 and counting) except two. Both were freebies I found on the net, and both turned out to be of such poor quality they weren't worth finishing. More than one I've had to scrap and start over, or reprint damaged or botched parts, but that's why I'm doing paper ones in the first place.
    Here's the lessons I learned:
    1. I only start models that really call to me at the time. Sometimes, as I'm nearing the end of a build, I take a day or two to decide what to start next.
    2. I only start models I really want on my display shelf (or that I'm giving as a gift)
    3. I make the commitment up front to finish it.
    4. I don't let my self start another model until I'm finished (or very nearly finished) the previous one.
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, I just got paralyzed on the FG B-52. I got tired of the math involved in creating the formers FG did not supply, and zecks released the ED-209. So, the BUFF got shoved to the corner of the table for a bit.....
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

it depends on what we mean by done. I scratch build/design my own and work in series. Each time I work on a model I do about 20 builds, and I'm never satisfied.

I'll say that getting done means completing the design so that no more changes need be made, building at least one model following the design, and getting the result on display for the public.

I've finished only one model according to this criteria. Woops, I'm also going to include documentation of the model--you got to take good photos. That means I haven't completed any because I sold that model without getting good photos.
    Of my writing projects I've completed (published) one article.

The publication criterion is the big stumbling block for me. It used to be the documentation part, but now I have a good digital camera. A big problem for me right now is display. I know that if a model is to retain it's color it needs to be stored under glass, but I can't figure out an inexpensive and non-distracting way to do this. Bell jars are both expensive and distracting.

It' ain't done if it ain't published.