Build Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rmks2000, Mar 27, 2007.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I also put yes. I have destroyed only one model, sonic the hedgehog. And I only destroyed this because the colours turned out wrong.

I also have problems with build's, but I usually leave that build and go on with something else, then go back on to the original model. I usually have several models on the go at once. I normally have a easy model (borg cube), a couple of what I would call medium builds (haruhi, a set of space shuttle paylods bays, with payloads) and a couple of hard models (sleeping beauty castle from the disney experience and JSC's HMS invincible).

My plan is to try and finish all the models I have building at the moment before starting anything else, because I start back to work 16th April and time is going to be short then.
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wait, does printing count as starting?? If so, I may need to change my answer....
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

If printing is too be included, I would not know how to answer, as I have at least 7/8 printed off. One of them thunderbird 2 was printed off before christmas. It's on my to do list though. I was thinking of doing a build thread for thunderbird 2, but I need to finish some of the current builds first.
  4. jparenti

jparenti Member

I tend to stop and start at will, depending on my mood, so I tend to have several unfinished builds laying around on my worktable. I don't abandon them, I just work through them in no particular order.
    Right now I have a Saturn SA-6 missing its fins, three completed F-1 engines for a 1/48 Saturn V (I need five), and a beta version of a 1/24 Apollo command module. However, I just finished my Lunar Surveyor yesterday after a week.
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Good question!

I think that for this poll, printing and laminating parts would not be considered starting. Precisely cutting out a few parts is a gray area to me. Starting in this case means that you have precisely cut some parts, and perhaps glued a part to itself or to another part with the initial intent to build the complete model (not just practice a technique or build a proof of concept subassembly).

I've printed and laminated a few models just to get them ready for building in the near future and to see if the print colors are OK, but would not consider them as being started.
  6. cbg

cbg Member

is paralysis really progress in glacial-mode?

I answered yes, because mom always told me to finish what I started. . .And because I simply don't have the room to start another project until I finish the one on my table.

Embarassingly, I'm still s-l-o-w-l-y adding to a project I started seven months ago. I'm tempted many times to start something more engaging, but I know I'll be in the same fix after the same time rolls around.

Maybe I should stick with 1/50 scale as opposed to 1/33. . .way fewer parts.

Cheers to model procrastinators the world over. cbg
  7. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

There is no mention of how long it takes you to finish a model or whether you leave it and come back to it later, so until I end up in a wooden box I can say that I have not abandoned a particular model.
    At least I can say that the only models that I have scrapped ( I still have the bits though) have been re-built at a different scale because I realised that I had started out at the wrong size.
    I'm currently building a Micromodels beam engine and also test building the third of my Millimodels railway sets. Both have been delayed by "real world" problems for several months that have taken all my spare time away for a while, but I should be back on the case shortly.

Robin Madge
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Needs to be deleted!
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks Rick for removing the spam.
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I am very excited to read this!!! Micromodels are dear to my heart...
    sounds like Millimodels will be too!!!
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

I could have written B-Manic's post, so much of it applies to me. I always have 3 or 4 projects going. The few I don't finish (eventually) are the ones that turn out to be poorly designed or otherwise substandard.

I build mostly airplanes, mostly 1/33. They hang from the 11-foot ceiling in my home office. About half my models are in the paper models exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh. Reading build threads fires me up to build the models they describe, and helps me to avoid poorly designed models or to overcome design flaws.

12. eric_son

eric_son Member

I only have 1 failed build -- Kancho's HS-129.

I finished the cannon, the cockpit and the fuselage. But when I tried to assemble the wings.. I suddenly found out that I made a mistake in the placement of the formers in the cannon ammunition chamber causing a bulge and making it impossible to properly place the wings. I still tried to force the issue and it resulted in a warped wing, and a ruined model. Having spent so much time on the gun assembly, I lost heart and motivation to re-start.
    It's been 6 months already.... :(
    Perhaps it's time to chuck the failed build in the wastebasket and start anew.
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I just wonder what people do with unfinished builds... Certainly letting them lying around would not be a very good idea
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

Whenever I convince myself to resume card modeling, I go to my workdesk only to see the uncompleted (and uncompletable) model. I immediately get discouraged and do something else (like play a flightsim).

I promise to throw away that unfinished build and to clear away the worktable of the unused soon as I get back from work. :grin:
  15. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

I have at least 10 unfinished models, the oldest one, I started about 8-10 years ago. 2-3 other kits, had fitting problems and I did not keep them.

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Once I start a model I almost always finish it, the only two I haven't finished is a Haunted Mansion build (the parts didn't match-up) and a Millenium Falcon that my dog drooled on.

My problem is getting started on a model!
  17. paul a

paul a Member

if there are so many complete works

If there is so many complete works why is there so little building threads.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Because not everyone likes to take pics along the way - it can really break the rhythym - course mine is so slooooow it makes no difference. Also not everyone is confident in their building - they just dont understand we like to see everything! I am sure there are other reasons too - no camera, wife wont let them use the camera etc etc etc :)
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Agreeing with Chris, plus the amount of time required to do a build thread is prohibitive to a lot of people here as they have really busy lives so they just post a completion picture or two.

In actuality, the number of build threads going on has really increased significantly, during the last year!

20. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

yes, i do. i don't have any choice really...