Build Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rmks2000, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Despite the fact that my hobby time is very limited due to work, I find that I rarely finish a model for two reasons:

1: Everytime I go through my pile of models and decide on what I want to build next, I find that a build thread has recently be done, or is just starting. I've got three models started so far and they now just sit there because of recent threads. Reading someone's thread is interesting and enjoyable, but sometimes I find that I no longer want to build the same model because I've experienced the build virtually.

2: New models come in so fast and furious, I keep changing my mind on what to build next.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have only not completed one model I started and that was cause I boffed it about 4 times.....
  3. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

I start far more models than I finish. I either get bored with the very details that attracted me to the model in the first place, or I get upset that I can't get it to look the way I want it to! If a build goes on for too long, another one will come along and I'll loose interest in the current build, only to start another one!

This applies to not only my card modelling, but also my plastic models. I have lately been making a concious effort to finish some of my projects, before obtaining any new ones. SWMBO says I should not buy anything else until everything in my stash is built. Yeah, like that;s going to happen!

4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I 've done that and also had a few destroyed due to my wife and kids putting things on top of partially-completed models on my workbench. I probably should have retitled this poll because my biggest problem isn't completing my builds, it's not starting them in the first place.
  5. josve

josve Active Member

I complete my models.
    I also start on models that I can find building threads on, I really don't mind building the same models as someone has done before.
    My polish is so bad that I search and search for threads that can give me a clue how to do things when I'm stuck, and pics says more than thousand words :)

I have abandoned two models, due to my lack of skills when I first started this hobby, the rest is finished.
    I really have to tell myselves FINISH THIS MODEL BEFORE YOU START ON A NEW I suppose I and a lot of others really have to struggle to get the last steps on the model finished :)
    Maybe thats because in my mind I already have started on the next one....
    And another reason is that I have been stuck with making wheels and tracks for weeks and weeks......
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I finish most, but not all. I'm a very slow builder, though. The ones I don't complete are usually FG models because I have trouble getting the wings to look decent. :(
  7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

I never worry about whether I finish a model or not.. I do it too relax/unwind, and if I get into being bummed out because I'm not finishing something, then I'm defeating the purpose of doing it.. If I finish something, that's icing on the cake.. If not, so be it.. Next in line..

I like seeing other build threads of the same model.. For one, it helps me hang in there, plus it's nice getting that feedback from having someone else approach a part of the build in a different way..

I guess it all boils down to "what floats your boat", and to just have fun....;-)
  8. papertrain

papertrain Member

I enjoy building models and I have completed several hundred railroad models in various scales.(also have not completed a bunch because of parts issues or loss of interest in that particular model). One of the problems with actual running models that I have made is the cost, since I used a lot of wood and metal and cast resin parts.(From one of the posts i found i can use paper to make very nice and sturdy running models also). With card models I just make everything out of card and dont have to wait for a parts order. I have 3 underconstruction at this point and will eventually finish them (optimisum):roll: I am finding that this is much more relaxing than work with other medias. I want to get to a few of the downloaded models in my growing collection, because I like the model, and to see how others design them, to help improve upon my own creations.:grin:
  9. loafandjug

loafandjug Member

i put off finishing models that take too long to build. Anything that takes more than two days tends to get shoved aside on the third day for a model that offers instant gratification, which leads to my shelf that displays a lot of cheesy little models.
    Of course before i wrote this i started a model of Yoda that will definitely take me more than three days to finish
  10. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I finish most of my models, eventually.

I usually have 5 or 6 on the go at once. This means it takes a long time but, if I get bored or frustrated with one, there is always another requiring attention.

I build to relax, I build what ever catches my eye (not tied to a genre), and if I feel like modifying a model I don't worry about convention. I give most of my builds away once I have had some time to admire them, or my wife subtly suggests that her house is not a museum.
  11. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

sometimes I finish a model - and I have a lot of started builds - so I do not worry about.
  12. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm always getting moaned at for starting models before I've finished the one I'm working on !!!!
  13. Regie

Regie Member

Oh boy - if that'd been the question I'm guilty as hell. I have practically the entire US, European and Soviet space programmes waiting to be built, and the pile keeps getting bigger!

Still looking for a Salyut station though...
  14. paul a

paul a Member

I finnish a lot of models .I was doing them one at a I make 3or4 at a time.Started having a space problem with the finnished ones. but TAZ thecat AKA TAZZILLA helped me with that.he trys to make them smaller for me.

Attached Files:

15. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I have a couple or three semi-abandoned models. I'm with most everyone else here in that I build for fun/relaxation. When it stops being fun, somthing that sounds more fun, or that "dream kit" comes along, a build may end up on the back burner.

I call the unfinished one semi-abandoned because the finished parts are sitting on top of the printed yet unfinished ones, with a promise of "I'll be right back". Come to think of it, though, I think my parents said that to a couple of my childhood "pets" (possums, rabbits, raccons, tarantulas) as they were putting them back on that stretch of country road where I found them......
  16. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

I finish most, eventually. Some take a year or more. If I have one item or fitting to repeat 10 times I move to some thing else and come back later. Sometimes having completed a difficult bit the challenge goes, and doing the routine bits is (almost) boring. Current count is 4 ships and one castle on the go.
  17. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I finish everything...I start that is...O' course, I have a stack two feet high
    as my " to do" list...

Try designing, might tighten those loose ends!
  18. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I answered No - other mainly because sometimes I start a model, get kinda bored, set it aside, then look at the pile of printed models and try to decide which one to not finish next. :-D

Actually I eventually finish most of them. I will set one aside, then after a few months work on it a little bit; set it aside, then after a few months work on it a little bit,...etc., etc. Mostly the more elaborate ones get that treatment due to all of the small parts. I treat this as a fun hobby. When a particular model starts to feel like work, it gets set aside for later.

Some, however, do get circular filed due to poor fit (either by design or by my me), or complete loss of interest. Some have even seemed to disappear into the void, never to be found.:confused: :razz:
  19. Triop

Triop Member

No - limited attention span ...thats my catagory I'm afraid...but i'm trying...I'm trying...:roll:

(forgot to mention that I DID finish my Buffalo last weekend...:grin: )
  20. Kaz

Kaz Member

I put down YES, but 8 months ago it would have been very different. As I progress I get more and more satisfaction in my ability, both to construct, and to patch a botch! (Howls Castle taught me that even if it isnt right it can still look good.)

Sometimes I have three or four on the go, I think its because I get bored with the colour of the model, Just noticed that I am building a very bright pink aircraft for my daughter, along with a murky brown model, and looking at the White/Grey KFZ222 that popped up on the free internet finds a day ago.