Build: Orlik Wright Flyer I, 1:25

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Nov 16, 2007.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Actually, I find photos reveal more problems than (at least my aging) naked eye!

As for the ribs, scroll up a bit and you can see that I used the laser cut ones. It's just that the frame structure is so wimpy it's only of use in shaping the airfoil in this case, and that's really enough in this design as the card provides all the lateral stability needed.

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Most of the tedium is done at last. The first photo is a group picture of all 18 struts, wired and thread-wrapped.

The 2nd pic is a typical attach point showing the silver plate and 2 rigging hooks. So far I've made the first half (36) of the hooks. Still got the top wing underside to do!

Finally, all the soldiers in a line (well, 2 lines). Once the top wing is done with the plates and hooks, I'll mate the 2 (dry) in some sort of jig and flow a little CA into each upper wing strut contact point to seal the deal; then add rigging lines - which I'm guessing are the real structural rigidy of this thing!

Attached Files:

3. loadmat

loadmat Member

Top Notch Work!

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Are the little hook things curling up from the wing wire? Excellent work!
  5. josve

josve Active Member

Really nice Rick!! Exellent work!!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Afraid so - floral paddle wire. Cut pieces 5mm long and shaped with round nose piers and large tweezers. Like I said - tedious! I'm anxious to get back to the paper parts!

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looking really good there, Rick!:cool:

I never thought I would say it but I have been too busy to do any modeling lately.
    I've always preached about making time and I haven't been able to myself lately.:oops:
    It's really starting to bother me!
    Looking at your progress makes me miss it even more!
    I can't wait till things around here settle down so I can get back to it.:cry:

I was also going to say, "Keep up the good work!", but you always do good work, so I'll just part with this;
    "Keep on plugging buddy! Love your work! It's beautiful and the most classic of classics! Great choice and great job so far!":thumb:

Eagerly waiting for your next installment,:twisted:

8. exzealot

exzealot Member

I'm certain that Orville and Wilbur would be proud to see their invention so meticulously modeled some 104 years after the first flight at Kitty Hawk! Nice job!
  9. Interestingly they just fired off one of the engines that the Wright Bros. invented for the Wright Flyer. They have one here at the Aero Space Museum in Balboa Park. It ran just like new.
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Forgive my question, but could the wings have been better served by a covering with velum?

The work you have done is really quite remarkable considering the technology you have brought to bear in correcting a manufacturer mistake. But, for the rest of us unworthies who have not the skill, or patience, with PhotoShop, could not a velum cover be substituted in place of the card cover?

Long story short, when you look at the underside of a fabric-covered, clear-doped linen wing, the fabric is translucent meaning you can actually see light from above and the distinct outline of the internal ribs.

This effect is apparent on the Wright-Flyer. Would velum, with a clear wash of a tan color achieve this effect? Further, would a spar provide rigid support for the ribs?

Am I getting too anal for a card model?
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks guys!

@cdavenport: Someone on Kartonbau is attempting something similar. That would be beyond both my skills and desire to be anal myself (and I am much of the time!). Besides, the framework is SO flimsy I think it needs the stiffer card just to be stable - though I could the wrong!

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Here both wings mated together to all the struts. I was amazed at how rigid this is without the rigging lines yet! Rigging is next. Oooh what fun!

Attached Files:

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks awesome! I was gonna try putting rigging lines on a Marek WWI biplane I did but gave up on the idea (partly cause my son wouldnt leave me alone) but also because it sems so darn daunting... any chance you can give us some step by step shots like attached thread here <pic> strung thread there <pic> that would be truly awesome!
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Heh! You speak as if you think I know what I'm doing! I've never rigged a plane before (done a few sailing ships back in my early years w/ plastic models). And this one is a bit ambiguous as to the instructions vs. various photos. I'll have to study a bit to figure out how I'm going to do it.

15. hawkstrikes

hawkstrikes New Member

Infinite Patience

Envy Here The Build Looks Good And The Patience Is 73...(jr. Senior) Too Many Great Kits Not Enough Time...cry Cry Hawkstrikes
  16. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Rigging biplanes

In the scales we are working in, I highly recommend you use stainless steel wire.
    1. It is easy to apply; cut to length, give a twist at the end and loop it over the hooks.
    2. It will not warp the wing as monofilament does once you tighten it.
    3. It is easily painted
    4. It's pretty cheap all things considered.
    5. It's DEAD straight so your wire bracing looks great.
    6. It's available from Small Parts, Inc. Order online.

In this scale .004" to .006" dia wire should be about right. Turnbuckles are used to adjust tension on each wire. You may wish to forgo the tedium of recreating this feature. However, you can simulate it by thickening the diameter of the wire with a bit of glue, then painting it. I reccomend painting the wire before attaching it. You can use paint or a magic marker as long as you don't handle it too much.

If you need a reference photo, I believe I have a shot of the Wright flyer in my files. PM me to let me know.
  17. logicman

logicman Greybeard

18. lriera

lriera Member

Your work is outstanding. I love your meticulousness and care for detail. :thumb:

Thank you for sharing.
  19. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Beautiful work. I am amazed at the size of it also and the cleanliness of your build.

All the fine builds on Zealot give me ADD. Every new one makes me say "I'd like to build that"! But frankly my current skills would not do justice to a models such as yours.

Thanks for the on-line build. These builds are invaluable to helping me further my skills and desires.