build model questions

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by rlc321, Dec 1, 2006.

1. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

ok here goes i have a few plastic gundam model kits that i have done in the past and would like to try and make paper models out of them.
    so the questions are if i break the models into various parts and take photos all round can i put them in a 3d program and then use pepakura designer.
    also which 3d program should i use and how exactley do i go about it?
    any help or instructions would be very apprecative.
    being as i am new to paper modeling but i do design web sites it shouldnt be to difficult (i hope) hehe.
    any any tutorials or help so i can do this and of course any completed models and beta tests will be up for download.
    all the best.:-D :-D :-D
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well I'm still in the learning part of this myself, but........

With the free 3D software BLENDER, you can set as a background jpg images and then shape your frames to those edges.

There are some good tutorials on the BLENDER site.

But you have to remember that the picture is 2D and you are trying to model in 3D. The background image doesn't rotate so, getting the shape of a part would be harder since you will not have a cross-section of it.

There are lots of 3D software to choose from both free and costly. BLENDER is just the one I happened to pick and start learning on. They all have a steep learning curve, but not impossible.

Metasequia (sp?), Rhino, Milkshape, AutoCAD, TurboCAD there are others and each one has it's own virtues.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite. The hard part is picking one and just going with it until you learn it and get comfortable with it.

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If you take Front, Side and Top pics and have the 3 dimensional part in your hand, Rhino can't be beat, I don't think. But I could be wrong. Well,not right anyway.