Build: Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero, 1:33, Halinski 3/2005

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Cylinders, continued...

Finally finished all the valley parts, and here is the batch of beasties so far. They still need a little shaping and cleanup before continued assembly.

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

The next bits are the 28 rocker arm covers. I really could not think of a jig to make to glue them in the final shape, so I did the next best thing - circles AGAIN!

For me, the hard part of butt gluing parts is to first get a tight seam and then to find a way to hold it long enough to not start pulling apart. So this jig-o-holes lets me make sure both happen. As with the prior circle jigs, I put them in dry and glue from the backside.

Then I made stick of card stock in the same cross section as the final rocker cover shape, and just used that to form the dry glued circles into their oblong shape before poking the top parts in. I soaked the end of the stick in CA to make it hard and slick.

Shown here is the jig with a few parts in the holes, a few ready to go in, some finished circles, then a few on the stick getting their shape, and finally one shaped part and one finished one.

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've been looking for shortcuts throughout, and this is a very simple one. Rolling 4 parts at once!

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Finshed Motor, Finally!

OK, here it is, warts and all, one finished 14 cylinder motor (using the now famous fault revealing closeup lens showing all the fuzz that cannot be seen with the naked eye! ;) ).

Hmmm, 8 days to build a motor... :( I'm starting to wonder about my sanity at this point, and again questioning the sense of doing hidden detail. OK, so in this kit, you are told to not glue on the cowl and prop so they can be removed for motor display, but I'll believe that can be done when I see it (fit issues and all that). Not really sure I want to bother.

A big problem with all this detail is that it's so freakin' small! The entire motor is only about 3.5 cm, as can be seen here with the photo cube. I think this level of detail (as with the cockpit) would be very much more managable at a larger scale, say 50% larger than this. It's already got me thinking seriously of an upscale project.... (hmmmm)

Attached Files:

5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Good practice for the 28 cylinder beast you're planning on doing next!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oh please no, don't say that now! Very bad timing! I think I might have to go for the front 2 rows only on that one, following your lead ;)

While you're here, I was wondering if you would care to see me do a new build thread on the Corsair, or would appending stuff to yours be preferable. I really don't know how much I can add, but I know I'll want to post something somewhere!

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

gorgeous engine! simply amazing.
  8. DrBill

DrBill Member

That's beautiful! What fuzz? Maybe you should come teach a course in card modeling at our local community college....
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Beautific work! You can almost smell the exhaust fumes!
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I would like to see you do your own thread on the Corsair. There are a number of things that I haven't gotten around to showing yet. As for my engine it is not as complex as the one you just built. The cylinder portion itself is a bugger to get formed correctly and you may shred a couple of them out of frustration before you figure out how to do it but the general design is simpler than what you just did. I don't know if that's comforting or not.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Small Engines

Very nice engine finish. One nice thing about repetitive builds is that by the time you finish you can almost do it with a blindfold on. The other thing that happens is you start thinking "there's got to be a better way". The "fuzz" can be layed down by spraying it with a matte finish and brushing the edges with a wide paint brush while it's still a little damp with the spray.

12. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

The engine is like a model within a model. Looks great.
  13. josve

josve Active Member

Great engine!!
    I have some of that kind coming up later on.....3 engines,9 cylinders each...
    So I'm very glad to know how it should be done!
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You must be talking about the JU-52? I've got that one in my queue as well, 2 or 3 down the road perhaps.

Curious if you plan to get the laser cut frames/wheels for it from Drafmodel?

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wrapping up the Nose!

Back of the motor, with exhaust pipes in place.

They don't tell you to do this, but it's almost a must do to go ahead and start the cowl so you can use the back section to get those pipes aligned just right. Otherwise, you'll just be ripping them off and redoing it anyway.

Attached Files:

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Motor and oil cooler mounted to the fuse

Attached Files:

17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

And the completed cowl in place.

Everything on the cowl fit really nice, and the cowl itself is a perfect friction fit over the engine bulkhead, so I will indeed be able to mount it without glueing it in case I want to take it off to show the motor.

Attached Files:

18. Clashster

Clashster Member

8) It's great that you will be able to show off that awesome engine! Would seem such a shame to hide something that you put so much work into and did such a supreme job on! Looking great! :grin:

19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's one beautiful piece of work!:grin:

Definately a show stopper!

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

That worked out great! Is the cowl the replacement one or the original that came with the kit?