Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by rlwhitt, Dec 20, 2006.
i cant even see the seams - looks awesome!
I can just second the other guys here!! Awesome!!
As far as the odd order (which you've commented on before ) I'm doing it strictly by the book. What you see here is exactly as the instructions dictate. I'm sure there are at least a dozen different ways of ordering things that would come out just as good, but I'm frankly a little afraid to deviate on this one as I've not seen it done by others...
OK, here's a closer shot of where I goofed. You guys are going to cringe when you hear what a monumental idiotic move I did.
The circled area shows the fuse skin fairing out to join the wing. It WAS one piece, all the way around from the top. When I dry fitted this all in, I could not make the piece reach anywhere near far enough to cover the white area on the wing. In retrospect I think the reason is that I formed and glued it down to the lower curved part of the formers, which I thought made sense. I'm thinking now, not so much.
At this point I committed the sin of ASSUMING that it was not supposed to reach, and a quick look at the drawing made me think there was another piece that went on to make the fairing. So, brilliant me, I cut the parts BACK a little to get them out of the way. After I glued it to the wing I realized something was not right and a PROPER study of the diagrams told the tale. There was NO way to make it reach now!
Now I was really hosed. I scanned all the parts before starting but I've not had much luck in the past getting anywhere close to a color match, but knew I had to figure out a way now to make a patch piece. I finally hit on a combination of color adjustments in my printer driver that is reasonably close. I printed it on light paper (22 lb) to make the curve easier and hopefully not be able to see the seam at the top as much.
Frankly, the place where it meets the wing is probably better looking than it would have been with the card stock, but there is the seam above it where there's not supposed to be one. The color match is not perfect, but in regular room light you just about can't tell.
Hopefully, this concludes my big screw ups scheduled for this model...
Great recovery! During the service life of one of these puppies there were probably a dozen or so new pieces riveted to them so this is just field repair replacements. Once again, I firmly believe we learn more from mistakes than success, and you have done well Rick-San!
Yeah, that's the ticket, repair (channeling Jon Lovitz). Actually real planes prolly DO have some off color sections after a bit of use.
"We learn by trial and error, not by trial and rightness.
The way to succeed is to double your failure rate."
--Michel Foucault, French Philosopher
Nice recovery - full speed ahead!
Here is a funny little part that explains why the cockpit section must be joined to the wing section before continuing on down the nose.
It wraps around the bottom of the wing and the fuelage and you have to have it on before continuing forward.
Funny little part installed
Top parts of this skin section and the installed gun channels.
Skin and guns installed. Not much progress today!
If there is not much progress at least what got done looks really good.
Man that fit is fantastic! And the way you build it is top marks also!
Well, there was no guidance here, it just bascially said "stick all these things together/on" and gave a list of numbers. I briefly thought of putting the channels onto the skin first and then thought better of it. Of course with this design, there would be no way to get them in after skinning like your last one.
Next it's time to finish out the nose (well, the non cowl, non-engine parts ). I assembled these parts as one unit, and then attempted to dry fit to the cockpit section. Whoa, no way in h*** it's gonna fit! It almost looks like the former is too big, but I know that's not possible. More head scratching.
What I ended up doing was chamfering the former so the glue strip tabs could lay down further. This is kinda tricky to do with the skins on, so I'd suggest any future builders to bevel this thing before skinning. :grin: Perhaps that's a well known thing that a more experienced builder would know to do, but this kit does have chamfering symbols put on some parts where appropriate, but this former was not so marked. I also noticed parts being mis-numbered in the instructions, but they are correct on the diagrams. I guess even for Halinski, docs are an afterthought and prone to a few errors.
It's hard to make out in the pic below, but here I've starting the chamfering process.
Nose bits glued on. I was scared that with the fit issue, this was going to look atrocious, but it came out fine in the end. whew!
Also have the wing fairings on. That patch in the back is hardly noticable!
Next up we will start the tail feathers!
Fantastic, and you're right I couldn't have picked it out had you not circled it before!
A fresh start on a new section, gotta love it! Here are the main structural bits for the tail/vertical stab:
And the main bits assembled. The blue section is the tail wheel well. The slot forward of that will hold the arresting hook well.
Separate names with a comma.