Build: Maly's A-10 Thunderbolt II

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Dec 26, 2007.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

Time for another build thread. This time it is Maly's A-10 Warthog.

I have had this model for awhile now. Note in the pictures the half-built A-10. This is a scanned copy of the model that I build a couple of years ago as a skill-building exercise (That's why is is blue). I will now build the real thing. As you can see, this is not the most detailed kit out there, but it is a fun build.

The build starts with the fuselage... Note that the cockpit is simple; I haven't decided yet whether of not to detail this out a bit and have an open canopy, or leave it simple and closed - depends on how the build goes.

Attached Files:

2. exzealot

exzealot Member

Next I built the inside wing structure - a perfect fit.

The tail section is made up of several sections - care must be taken to ensure the tail doesn't twist as you build rearward as shown in the tail end view. Nothing worse than a twisted fuselage.

Attached Files:

3. exzealot

exzealot Member

Here are pictures of the nose sections... again, care was taken to ensure that the sections didn't build up "twisted".

This is a closeup of the noseart - a face that only its mother could love.

The inner wings covered with a perfect fit.

I didn't like the designer's method of creating the turbine blades at the inlets, so I scanned them, cut each one out, and glued them in place as an angle as shown. The last picture shows the completed inlet assemblies. I also painted them to look more realistic.

Attached Files:

4. exzealot

exzealot Member

Years ago when I worked in an automotive design studio, I learned that the human eye always focuses first on round objects. (Most guys should not have any trouble understanding this). That's why the wheels on a car are so important. That's also why oval and square taillights didn't work on the Corvette. - They have to be round.

When I build models, I pay close attention to round elements such as wheels and air intakes. If these are not perfectly round, it gives the entire model a sloppy appearance.

This is even more important on the A-10 since the engines are the most prominent feature on this aircraft.

The pictures show the design of the nacelles. The LH engine was dryfitted as shown. Care was taken to ensure that the engines were mounted exactly parallel with each other.

The early "bluebird" is compared to the new model to show how a little paint can really enhance the appearance of a model.

Attached Files:

5. exzealot

exzealot Member

Building the elevator - again, a perfect fit. Care taken to ensure that the tail surfaces were parallel with the wing surfaces in the front view.... etc..

A couple of pictures show the wing's construction. Important note: the wings are built with a warped dihedral as shown by the lifting of the wing from the table. I am not sure if the real aircraft has this or not, but it seems reasonable since this plane is a slow and manouverable low-flyer. Also note the pre-shaping of the underside of the wing. The weapon pylons should not have to force this shape later on..

It's starting to look like a plane!

Attached Files:

6. exzealot

exzealot Member

..... Some pictures showing the construction of the rear landing gear bays. The fit was excellent.

The wing-tips were a bit tricky, but they came out OK.

Attached Files:

7. exzealot

exzealot Member

The rudders were simple and fit well. Care taken to ensure perfect perpenicularity to the horizontal tail surfaces.

The landing gears are very simple, but adequate for this level of model since the internal wheel wells are blacked-out.

Attached Files:

8. exzealot

exzealot Member

Picture 1: The rough wheels - ready for sanding.

Picture 2: Turned on a dremel, hubs added and tires painted. Notice how unrealistic these look....

Picture 3: In keeping with the theory that round elements draw the most "eye", I added strips of paper to represent the rims in the wheels. The picture doesn't show it that well. Halinski does this, and it helps out the realism quite a bit.

Picture 4: Wheels are added to the model - always a milestone for me.

Picture 5: A shot of the rear landing gear.

Not done yet....

Attached Files:

9. jbloom

jbloom New Member

Great I just got the MM release colors are in various browns/desert cam. I guess but a bonus with laser parts from MM? Joe
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice build!! I wonder if the parts fit well on this kit... looks like they do ^^
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

This is my favorite post-ww2 aircraft.
    It is so ugly that it becomes beautiful :thumb:
    Will you be adding any underwing stores? I know that the kit doesn't really provide any but you should be able to "borrow" some from other US jet models...
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks great!

but to paraphrase a Wendy's commercial from years back............... Where's the gun?sign1
  13. exzealot

exzealot Member

Where's the gun????

It's not done yet. I still have the armament, cockpit, canopy, antennas, fuel tanks, and some other miscl external stuff. Should be done in about a week.

14. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Looks great! You're doing an excellent job building and explaining your techniques. :)
  15. theanalogkid

theanalogkid Member

Go Ugly Early............My favourite plane in the world. Nice
  16. exzealot

exzealot Member

John (Bowdenja),

Just for you, here is a snapshot of the nose gun (still needs the barrels), the Pave Laser Finder (needs painted), and some fuselage side panels at the front of the wings (don't know what they are).

There will be 6 Maverick missiles (3 per wing). I am going to scratch build these since the kit only has one and the color is incorrect.

Later, I will add 1 external fuel tank.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      File size:
      219.3 KB
  17. shrike

shrike Guest

18. exzealot

exzealot Member

Thanks for the head's up on those downloadable weapons! I will use the Mavericks.

19. exzealot

exzealot Member

Kanchos also has some nice 1/48 scale models.

20. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Very nice looking build thus far - thanks for sharing!