[Build from scratch] PzKpfw "Tiger" I

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by Przemo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

The links are as good as I have seen in Plastic. If I had not declared the Panther finished I would build another set of links using your method. I can tell you that I’ll be giving this a try on my next model.

For the rest of us give this some thought the Panther has around 164 links and it looks like Przemo uses around 12 to 15 parts to make each link I would guess that it takes 20 to 30 minutes to make each link. Przemo is the king of track links.

Jim Nunn
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

The track links are really amazing.

For us mere mortals I wonder if this technique isn't over the "hyperscale
    boundary". Perhaps one or more of Gil's paper casting techniques might
    be used to get similar results with lower effort?

3. Przemo

Przemo Member

More photos.
  4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I love this level of detail but I do agree with you on the "hyperscale boundary". Until I forced myself to take the attitude of good-n-nuf I could not get a model finished because I always wanted to make it a little better. I still fall in to the trap of adding detail but I try to make it some thing that stands out or at least you can see it. When it comes to track links they stick out like a sore thumb and really help make the model convincing. The Helinski Tiger has relatively simple links that are printed in dark purple, (yes purple I think it was to represent steel) and have very little printed detail. The Panther has much better printed detail and are printed in a dark brown color with reddish highlights and look much better then the Tiger.

In the end it’s better to have flawed finished model then a box of perfect unfinished parts.

Did you guys notice the rivet/bolt detail added to the side of the drive sprocket? Przemo you are going to go blind building this model.

Jim Nunn
  5. Przemo

Przemo Member

Something is wrong???
    You know...I love paper modeling and I try to do this good.
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Przemo

The only thing wrong is we always want more info and photos on how you do this :lol:

The pins you have used to join the tracks together are they dress makers pins or something else we need to know about??
    Great work and photos keep posting your updates as soon as you can :D

A fantastic build

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Przemo,

Absolutely nothing wrong. Just unbelievable detail work on your part. You must at the very least wear glasses...,

Please keep posting progress on your stunning work.

One question; are you going to dull or "rust" the tread hinge pins?

Best regards, Gil
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

Hi Przemo,

Absolutely nothing wrong. Your work on the Tiger tracks is really outstanding.

My comment was a link to a discussion in one of the other threads in the
    armoured vehicles forums about the trade off between accuracy and the
    effort required to achieve accuracy. I think Jim summarises this discussion
    pretty well.

In the English translation of the Tiger instructions there is a comment about the tracks:

"Tracks: 250, 250a, 250b, 250c, 250d (track bars are to be positioned 5mm from each other). Part 250b should be separated by cutting and
    painted (all over) to resemble the track links"

I guess if the intent is for the track links to be painted then the printed colour isn't all that important.

9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I am sorry if I implied that something was wrong far from wrong your work is not just good it is stunning. I can’t wait to see the rest of your model.

My comment was not clear I was thinking of the modeler who is new to paper models and is overwhelmed when they see the work of a Master Modeler and think that they are not capable of building such an excellent model. Because they think that they cannot build as good a model they give up and do not even try to build the model or worse give up on paper modeling. What I was trying to say to the new modeler who is looking at your work is build the best model you can with time you can build a model this good.

Please keep posting we are all eager to see you excellent work.

Jim Nunn
  10. Przemo

Przemo Member

Sorry, but I did't understand the post... :oops:

New photos...

I have many exams and I will write something in february...sorry
  11. barry

barry Active Member

great pics!!

good luck with the exams I look forward toFebruary

12. Przemo

Przemo Member

I present changes in my Tiger I.
    I decide to give the bets image of this tank.
    1'st and second picture present how will be look hull floor after changes
    Look HERE.I also add ammunition stowage hidden under turret floor.You can see this HERE

I will show more my ideas soon...

P.S.My exams... :cool:
  13. Tonino

Tonino Member

Hi Przemo,

thank you very much for this great link to www.tiger1.info it's a really interesting source of informations. ALMOST as much as this thread :wink:

We should ask to the webmaster to put your Tiger among others "notable models" when it will be finished!

PS compliments for your exams (sigh! :roll: beautiful days when I had to worry about exams!)
  14. Przemo

Przemo Member

No problem Tonino.
    Tiger1.info is the best site about Tiger 1.

My Tiger in "Notable models" ... I dream about this :)
  15. Przemo

Przemo Member

Turret floor changes...
  16. barry

barry Active Member

Mind blowing

17. lgl007

lgl007 Member

... to say the least :D

18. Przemo

Przemo Member

I past all exams :D
    New photos...I will write something about does photos soon...
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Congratulations on the exam results

20. Przemo

Przemo Member

Thanks Barry :D
    I made driver's earphone...
    Track links-first I painted Humbol 67, next i will paint Humbrol Gun metal...