Bugatti R100 Racer

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Bowdenja, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

That's an awesome site you found John!:cool: :grin: I have aspirations to design my own plane one day and the software they offer would help a great deal. As for the Bugatti if no one takes it up before I'm done with my Corsair remind me when I'm done and I might take it on.
  3. Ziga

Ziga Member

4. shrike

shrike Guest

It was on my list of projects I hope to get to some day, but there isn't a straight line on it anywhere. In fact I don't think there are anything but compound curves.
    The He119 is similar and MUCH MUCH easier from a design standpoint<G>
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Wow ... hard to believe that was from 37' looks modern futuristic.
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Not a hijack attempt, just information sought...

I pulled out my backup copy of this model and looked at it. It is a rather simple kit, but will probably look pretty good if built small. I noticed on the jpg of the parts, that there is no scale rating per se. It does say "291 dpi to 1/200," so I decided I would try printing the model at 1:100 scale and figured since 291 dpi is 1/200, that 582 would be 1/100. But lo and behold, when I setup the page, man was that image huge. Well, give me a scale like 1:48, or 1:33 or whatever, and I can convert to any other scale I want. 1:100 is easy...just print with the scale as the percentage...for example, 1:33 would print at 33 percent for 1:100 scale. But this dpi stuff is much too much for my probably less than 10 percent used brain. Soooo...could someone look at this model, and tell me what I am doing wrong in trying to print at 1:100, or explain what I need to do to get it to 1:100 scale?

Thanks 8v)
  7. nx13688

nx13688 Member

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Bugatti Model 100 Racer Airplane

Hi John,

Yes, this is indeed a fascinating story of Ettore Bugatti´s project of a racer airplane aimed at winning a super-speed competition trophy in Germany.
    And, the tale about how the plane was secretly transported (in crates) out of Paris and out of reach of the German military and hidden in a barn in the French countryside for thirty years before it was bought by an American who wanted the two powerful Bugatti engines inside the plane, is a mystery story in its own right. Unfortunately, Ettore died before the aircraft was fully completed and tested.

I´ve downloaded this little paper model from "Alberto - Modelos de Papel" (the link mentioned above) and printed it as large as I could (European A3 size). It can of course be scanned and enlarged or laser-printed, but the resolution quality will not be adequate.
    I worked a bit in Photoshop to make the color a little bit more "Bugatti Blue" (it´s much too dark and red on the page).
    I printed it onto matte photo paper with 160g/m2 thickness and I´ll try experimenting at coating it during (or after) the build with some kind of satin or glossy fixative or perhaps some kind of glossy acrylic spray.
    The resolution of this model is very poor indeed but with some precise cutting and the addition of internal formers and wing spars, better looking propellers and exhausts, engine air intakes, proper landing gear with genuine (rubber) wheels and wheel wells, movable ailerons & flaps, a transparent cockpit canopy with interior (seat and controls) and the like, I imagine it could be quite a little treat!
    There are photos in abundance to work from.

In addition, there´s a lot more to learn from the official Bugatti home page, with a special section (The Bugatti Aicraft Association) on this amazing, innovative plane, which in many ways was way ahead of its time: and:

-it´s even possible to join the Association (with about 45 members worldwide, and growing) to support the construction of a full-scale, flying replica! How about that?
    The name of their member periodical is "Pegasus" which also was the "project name" of the plane with the production designation "Model 100".

A real challenge is for some fine card model designer to make a better model!
    Emil Zarkov - or Joseph Spinali - are you reading this...?

(And, while you´re downloading the model of the plane from Alberto´s home page, don´t forget the "Maid Doll", avaliable in one HOT and one even HOTTER version, which might look nice on any gentleman´s cigar table..!)

/Roger and out!/
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm :twisted:
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Bugatti Model 100 Racer

Hey Ryan!
    By just glancing at your homepage and what you´ve been doing so far, you seem to be a very competent airplane model designer indeed - why don´t you take a shot at designing a nice Bugatti 100 Racer model?
    I´d be one of the first to order it!

Go for it!
    best regards,
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm.:-D
  10. SteveM

SteveM Member

If 291 dpi is 1:200 scale, then to get to 1:100 you want to double the size, that means spreading those 291 dots over 2 inches instead of 1. Thus you want HALF the dpi or 145.5 dpi.
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Man...I'll never understand that dpi stuff. 1:100 is twice the size of 1:200, but rather than double the dpi, it gets cut in half. Give me a scale, and I can easily get it to any other scale. And, with a no scale model, I can get it to 1:100, or another scale with a couple of draft printings. I have read and read on dpi, and like 3d modeling, my mind refuses accept what I read or learn.

Anyway, I was able to scale the Bugatti to approximately 1:100 last night with two draft printings. But, really...half the dpi to double the size? Interesting.
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Model scales

Hey there Ashrunner,
    I don´t worry too much about modelling scales at the moment.
    Because of my poor eyesight, I build my airplane and spacecraft models as big as my printer allows (with my wife frowning coldly in the background...)
    Seriously though, I´ve given it SOME thought. Recently I enlarged the model of the Lunar Module from 1:48 scale to twice the size (from European size A4 to A3) - so, I thought this would be about 1:24.
    However, it turns out to be 1:33 or 1:32, because the enlargment is only 141 %.
    And a space shuttle (from the Marscenter page) in 1:100 scale turned out to be 1:72, using the same enlargement procedure (not 1:50 as I thought it would be).
    Is this any help at all? I guess there is a math to do this, but my math grade was terrible...
    I dig your Viking horns!
    Bengt in Stockholm
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

Maybe this will help? Double the size means double the size of each dot. Dots twice as big means half as many per inch. Think of dots as dimes laid out in a row, now replace each dime with a quarter...

14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Bengt,

A 1/24 model is actually 4 times as large as a 1/48 model. Not being a math genius myself, when I want to scale up or down, I multiply the original to get a 1/1 number, then divide that by whatever scale I want.

15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Model scales and print sizes...

Thanks Steve and Rick!

It´s sometimes very useful to make symbolic "pictures" of a math problem,
    and that´s what you both did.
    I get the picture now - I´ll start working a little more carefully with comparing scales. Recently, I combined two models, using the cockpit interior from one of them and a laser-printed enlarged fuselage from the other (with the aid of a print shop nearby) and I had to enlarge the cockpit parts about 1,3 % to get a good fit. Of course, if you have control over your scale, it saves you a lot of hassle...
    Thanks, guys!

Bengt F:grin:
  16. SteveM

SteveM Member

No, not by most common definitions of "larger". That is, the wingspan of a 1:24 scale model will be twice as long as the same plane in 1:48. What you may be referring to is that when you want to reduce a 1:24 paper model to 1:48 you will end up printing 4 pages per sheet. What this means is that a 1:48 model has one fourth the surface area of the 1:24, but most people don't judge size by surface area :)

That is the preferred method :)

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Sizes and scales

Yes, Steve!
    I´ve also realized that LENGTH and SURFACE AREA are two different parameters when enlarging a model sheet.
    For example, when I enlarge a sheet from European size A4 to A3, which is exactly twice the SURFACE size, the length of a part (e. g. a wing span) is not twice the length, only about half the length added to the original length.

tricky, tricky...:twisted: