Buck Rogers Thunderfighter mods

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I like the way that you are making the LG removable. It looks like it will be stronger and more stable.
  2. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

The LG is anchored to the insert piece from the back side (a trick I "borrowed" from Julius Perdana's models ;) ). The flaps are put through the hole and glued to the back. This creates a very strong connection.

I noticed that the previous design had to be handled with special care to avoid the LG from being ripped off by accident. This revised version will hopefully be better because the LG can be detached and stored separately from the plane which makes transportation and storage much easier. The LG itself stayed very much the same with two exceptions; lg3 and lg4 have been prolongued by 3.3 mm to compensate for the recess and thickness of the insert piece and the aft end has got some small flaps.

While the glue on the LG was curing I unfolded, textured and tested the parts for the Krait's AWACS dish.

Looking at the first print I noticed that I could make the dish smoother by using paper strips as flaps.

Two small formers with a slit in the middle to join them.

They are added to the center before ...

... the dish is closed.

I like the shape very much but I still need to check out if the angle of the mount matches the angle of the back piece of the quad cockpit. Of course you will be able to use this new part on every other quad TF version! :)
    bgt01, ASC Mclaren and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  3. Rhaven Blaack

The Krait's AWACS dish looks REALLY GOOD!!!
  4. Revell-Fan

Just a quick update on the cockpit interior 2.0: The parts sheets are set and I have almost finished the instructions. This will be the biggest instruction file RB and I have made thus far. It features 24 pages (!), many pictures and LOTS OF different options and tips to make working canopies.
    bgt01 and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  5. Revell-Fan

Just a quick note: The package has been sent to Martin for final approval. Keep your fingers crossed! ;)
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  6. Revell-Fan

I just received word from Martin. He likes the kit very much and will put it up on his site shortly. :)
    bgt01 and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  7. Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan likes this.
  8. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

[​IMG] OOOh so Martin will have it on his site, but ours isn't ...good enough.. I see. Well, as the "Church Lady " says...Isn't that special...., after all we've done for you!! Hhmmm, who could it be causing all these problems..................could it be..............SATAN!!

Sky Seeker likes this.
  9. Revell-Fan

@zathros : Well, I'd like to keep all Thunderfighter kits in one place so they are easier to find for fellow modelers. In addition, Martin would like to stay in control of his creations. All add-on packs include altered pieces of his original plans. Furthermore, the packs are worthless without the original kit which is exclusively available at www.paperaviation.de . Without it and Martin's generosity this whole project wouldn't have been possible. So the honour is his to host the kits. ;)
  10. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

I understand completely. I couldn't resist the humor. Your so very much appreciated here, I knew (and hoped) you would understand. :)
  11. Revell-Fan

12. Revell-Fan

Ladies and gentlemen,

it is my honour to tell you that the new cockpit interior 2.0 and the removable landing gear are now available at http://paperaviation.de/Thunderfighter/thunderfighter.html !

Grab it now while supplies last! ;)

Many thanks to Martin for putting the file up and hosting them! :)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

bgt01, ASC Mclaren and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  13. Revell-Fan

RB and I still have one or two surprises left for you to enjoy, so stay tuned, please! :)
  14. Rhaven Blaack

INDEED, there are a few more surprises left!!!
    ASC Mclaren likes this.
  15. Kjev

Kjev Member

More?!? Wow! You guys have already gone so much farther than the series ever did!
  16. Rhaven Blaack

RF and I have a few more fan based ideas for different variants. So we are looking at making the add-on kits for these different versions.
    So please stay tuned.
    ASC Mclaren likes this.
  17. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

somebody could remind me where to find the Thunderfigter plans at? How about a thunderfigher in USN Jolly Rogers scheme :)
  18. Rhaven Blaack

You can find the Thunder Fighter here http://www.paperaviation.de/
    As for the repaint, you would have repaint it yourself.