Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Here is an update of my progress.

Revell-Fan made a GREAT set of formers that goes under part 247 (that way, it will not collapse if you squeeze it too tightly).

IMAG4338.jpg

Now, you will need to attach the front end of part 247 first, then you can attach the formers (otherwise, you will have problems).
IMAG4345.jpg IMAG4346.jpg IMAG4347.jpg

Part 143 has a hole in it so that the cockpit tub can poke through.
(this will not be seen once the rest of the undercarriage parts are attached.
IMAG4348.jpg IMAG4349.jpg

The cockpit interior is attached to part 33 (assembly).
IMAG4350.jpg IMAG4351.jpg IMAG4352.jpg IMAG4353.jpg

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Here is a small update.

I have attached the canopy. So far everything fits well. I will be making a couple of (sitting) pilots to check how they fit inside.

IMAG4361.jpg IMAG4362.jpg IMAG4363.jpg IMAG4364.jpg

Please stay tuned to your local Earth Directorate Broadcasting channels for further updates as they happen.
Thank you for watching.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I have a still as yet unbuilt model kit of the Thunderdfighter from back in the old timey days. The cockpit is pretty INNACurate abd spartan. Besides building up the paper models of this kit, I would love to be able to size the cockpit upgrades to scale, print them on nice matt photo paper and build up a really nice cockpit, all detailed out to the nth degree with the work done here, and install it, so It's a mixed media kit.
Partly because I too love the sweet bejeebuz out of the Thunderfighter, but also because I'm still one of the loves to build anything out of anything kinda guys.
If I was really good at sculpting and carving, I would carve different sci fi ships out of different beautiful really rich grained woods. when I say different, I mean each ship would be a composite of different woods for different components. That would be incredible looking.
NOT PAINTED......NOOOOOOO PAINT.
I guess you will be busy soon! So far everything is looking good. I am now testing and revising the parts for the quad and then I will approach Martin and ask him to upload the new kit to his site. :)

I'd love to see the build in the mixed medium section once you are doing it! :) I would be glad to revise the tub to make it fit in the Monogram model if you like. (Just PM me on that once you are starting ;) .)

As for the wood models, I have seen quite a few fan builds using that medium. I was most impressed by a wooden version of the Warhawk (Hawk's ship). I can't find the original link to it any more but a quick google search led me to a similar model:

$%28KGrHqVHJ!8E-E7jRHUzBP%29Dhgq70g~~60_35.JPG

source: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Warhawk-Buck...==/$(KGrHqVHJ!8E-E7jRHUzBP)Dhgq70g~~60_35.JPG

The other one I am referring to has only painted windows; I found it before TC has released his beautiful paper kit. I was very surprised to see this because at first I was unable to tell which material the builder used for his model.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here are a few photos showing a pilot inside the cockpit.

IMAG4366.jpg IMAG4367.jpg IMAG4368.jpg IMAG4369.jpg

Granted, the pilot is a bit small (1:35 scale) compared to the cockpit (1:32 scale), but it still works nicely!

I have given Revell-Fan the GREEN LIGHT on this cockpit to be submitted to Martin Sanger for approval and to be uploaded to his site.
Once Revell-Fan finishes a few touch ups on the QUAD, I will test build it as well.
In the mean time, I am going to build a DETAIL version of this plane now (I will post photos, of course).

Please stay tuned to your local Earth Directorate Broadcasting channels for further updates as they happen.
Thank you for watching.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Well, excuuuuse me! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Well, excuuuuse me! :)
He only wants to make a separate thread on this one just in case it becomes one of the next MoM! :D:p:cool:

Don't worry, I'll give you some pics of the new quad interior here shortly! ;)

CrimsonLine

Aug 14, 2014
Poughkeepsie, NY
Great work here, guys! I am enjoying my build of the stock TF model. Reading through this thread, I didn't see any notification that the original Ralph McQuarrie Viper design was ever completed. Did I miss it, or is it still in progress?

oriod01

Nov 16, 2009
It was completed, but if I'm not mistaken, Martin did not approve that version for release. Not sure why this was the only one not ok, still scratching my head on that one. Either that or the designer just decided to hold that one back.I'm more of a Galactica fan, but love the Thunderfighter design, so the Galactica paint scheme appeals to me more. Either way, still a very impressive collection, so no complaints (although would like to hear the reasoning, out of curiosity).

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Great work here, guys! I am enjoying my build of the stock TF model. Reading through this thread, I didn't see any notification that the original Ralph McQuarrie Viper design was ever completed. Did I miss it, or is it still in progress?
It was completed, but if I'm not mistaken, Martin did not approve that version for release. Not sure why this was the only one not ok, still scratching my head on that one. Either that or the designer just decided to hold that one back.I'm more of a Galactica fan, but love the Thunderfighter design, so the Galactica paint scheme appeals to me more. Either way, still a very impressive collection, so no complaints (although would like to hear the reasoning, out of curiosity).

If you guys are referring to the plane that was started in here: http://www.zealot.com/threads/buck-rogers-thunderfighter-mods.169684/page-13, (Scroll to post 245)
As far as I know, Revell-Fan has not finished it yet (I am certain that he will be able to confirm the status of this model).
However, if you are interested, there is the "David Jones" version that is available on Martins site. The build starts here: http://www.zealot.com/threads/buck-rogers-thunderfighter-mods.169684/page-6 (Scroll to post 115)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It was completed, but if I'm not mistaken, Martin did not approve that version for release. Not sure why this was the only one not ok, still scratching my head on that one. Either that or the designer just decided to hold that one back.
Nope, the RMQ Viper was supposed to be the anchor between this thread and the "Launch When Ready" Viper thread. Due to time constraints and other projects jumping in the project is on hold for the time being. It will be finished as soon as the Viper Mk I is ready. ;) I have modelled all parts in SketchUp, I only need to unfold them and to adapt the cockpit interior for it (it is a one-seater).

The David Jones version is based on the RMQ Viper but it was fleshed out extensively (by Universal Hartland's FX tech wiz David Jones) to become the blueprint of the fighter we see in the show.