Buck Rogers Poster Gun

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After the Mk. I and the Mk. II blaster this is no 3 in the line of Buck Rogers sidearms, the gun Buck has drawn on the movie poster.

This weapon was never used in the series and looks like a melt between the TOS BSG Colonial Blaster and the blasters used in the Buck Rogers movie and TV series. However, it is not merely a creative invention by the artist who designed the poster. It is a toy made by IDEAL in the 1960s for a "Man From U.N.C.L.E." toy series. The artist added a muzzle to the barrel so that the weapon looks more futuristic and more like the guns used in the Buck Rogers movie. The design process is almost complete; I'm just verifying the final size of the model. Here are some pics of the SketchUp model. Enjoy! :wave:

buck-poster-gun.jpg

buck-poster-gun2.jpg

buck-poster-gun3.jpg

Last edited:

clif52

Banned
COOL design. I'd like to build this one with a few changes as Doc Savage's Superfirer pistol. Would also like to build it as is for my sci fi weapons display in my art studio. I love all of the new "blaster" series.

Clif

It sort of has a "Mauser" silhouette. I'd say it's more of a meld between Han Solo's Broomstick Mauser Blaster and Hawks Blaster.
Regardless, with all the blaster models your designing it looks like I'm about to get a whole lot more paper modeling experience.
You are truly an artist! The thirteen year old in me thanks you!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This looks like it will be another fun build.
I am looking forward to adding it to my weapons collection.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A small update: Modeling is officially complete. I'm determining the final size and will then start unfolding and assembling the prototype. Stay tuned!

jmich17513

Do you think that this gun was kit-bashed for the promo shots/poster posing session and led to the 2nd style Buck gun they came up with? The second style Buck gun is pretty prominent in the episodes "Unchained Woman" & "Plot to kill a City" before it seemed to become Hawk's standard gun.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you think that this gun was kit-bashed for the promo shots/poster posing session and led to the 2nd style Buck gun they came up with? The second style Buck gun is pretty prominent in the episodes "Unchained Woman" & "Plot to kill a City" before it seemed to become Hawk's standard gun.
No. Believe it or not, it was a commercially available TOY! :p It came from a "Man from U.N.C.L.E." toy line from the late 1960s. As far as I know the gun was used on various projects and poster arts. And I think it was also used on "Blake's 7".

jmich17513

Hmmm, I'll look through my Blakes 7 reference and see if I can spot it. I have all the seasons on DVD too. I'm betting it would've popped up 4th season,(?).

Patron_zero

And there's this possibility too.....

Yes, I do spend way too much time researching toys from the 1960s.

Attachments

• refBNDUncleIllyaPistolSmall.jpg
    refBNDUncleIllyaPistolSmall.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 92

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Quick update: Since I have no chance to look for my graphic tablet at the moment and thus continuing with the Viper I've chosen to complete this project. All parts have been unfolded. This time I have got some black cardboard in order to avoid the edge painting process which is always a pain for me because it is such a tedious job. I have also separated the coloured parts from the black and white parts which may save you some ink while printing. I will give you a white template as well. CU! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The cardboard I chose is a bit sturdier than my regular card. I'm making extensive use of water-shaping which gives great results. The card is so thick that I can make it pretty wet and then shape it. I have learned that it is recommended to make the top side wet which is supposed to curl. If the back side is made wet the part will curl in the opposite direction. I'm tracing the outlines of the parts by hand using some carbon paper. However, since I only have blue cp I end up with blue lines on black card which are extremely hard to see. I therefore trace selected lines again with a pencil which leaves silver marks I use for cutting.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I enjoy seeing people using the water forming more and more. The first time I did this was back in 1972. I made a ht rod out of spare parts, and wanted distinctive fenders. A few spoons, and some layered up wet paper, some sanding, instant fenders. This was back when it was expected you would paint your models. Printing is neat, but sometimes I think it keeps people in the "box". ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There were some small discrepancies between the final parts and the templates due to the transfer process but these issues were easy to solve. If you do it like me don't use blue carbon paper on black cardboard. I'm now adding some additional formers to the handle and re-doing a part which I mirrored by mistake. Right now I would say that this build is fairly easy and beginner-friendly. :)

starbuck

Looking good, but I did not see a Trigger in the Sketch up model. Will there be one in the final Version?