BSNF demoted to helper

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Renovo PPR, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I couldn't help the title. This one was the helper behind a Norfolk Southern today on the Horse Shoe Curve.

2. brakie

brakie Active Member

I see lots of BNSF power on the NS here in Bucyrus.Some times the BNSF unit is the lead unit other times its a trailing unit in a locomotive consist.
    Maybe,just maybe BNSF does mean Buy NS First.:ANYWORD:
  3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Ah, it's one of the BNSF GEs with an ATSF air conditioner. The other way round is much more common.
  4. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Not bad, though I saw a BNSF train outside of Needles CA yesterday with 7 (yes 7) of 8 units, all NS. One BNSF Dash 9 leading, lol.
  5. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Actually, that's an interesting shot. There seems to be a panel, just behind the cab before the first stanchion, that's still painted with the red warbonnet scheme. I'm assuming it's a replacement panel. What do you think?
  6. railohio

railohio Active Member

It's trailing because it is not equipped with cab signals and therefore can't lead a train on that route.
  7. railohio

railohio Active Member

That's the air conditioner and they are frequently swapped around on GE locomotives, regardless of the paint they carry. Norfolk Southern units will have a primer-only AC on a fully painted unit as well as a painted AC on a primer-only body. You can also see lighter orange AC units taken from a faded locomotive and installed on a freshly painted one.
  8. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense now that you mention it.:thumb: