BSG Olympic Carrier build.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Thanks buddy. :) I'm Ok now, kind of. Now there's just a dull pressure in my head. It's weird. No now it's half term at school, my kids are home so that cuts my free time down big time. Then there's the everyday family things to do, cleaning, shopping, laundry... The list goes on.

I'm determined to get something done here soon, hopefully tonight. I hate having a project hanging like this. Especially this one. :)
  2. Master-Bruce

Ok, I'm back on it. :)

I've only done a few small things but I'll get more done hopefully tonight, maybe tomorrow.

I'm just finishing off the tail section, the last prong to the "fork" is drying before I attach it to the fuselage. The tail fins attach here so I want them solid and dry before fitting them or trying to add the fin pylons. Also, I've added the first engine cone that sits inbetween those two prongs.

The first set of smaller intake have been fitted too.

The final pic is of the thick fin that fixes to the top of the cockpit area. This reminds me of some sort of gladiator helmet, don't know why. :)

Also, the tail fins are drying ready for when I start adding the fins. I'll probably ad those last, after fitting all the remaining engines. SJ unfolded the fins nicely but the thickness of them meant they'd be hollow of build SJ's way. What I did with them was to take some scrap card and laminate two of them together, then glue the top an bottom pieces of the fins to that laminated part. I'll end up with tail fins made up of four layers of card, making them strong. I'll do the same with the pylons for those fins and for the three engines that have pylons too. Oh, and for the fins that sit near the front. For the edges of those laminated parts, I'll simply colour the edges with a suitable coloured pen. I'm lucky that my kids felt tips has a blue that matches nicely the blue of the model. :) Lucky me, unlucky daughter who's lost a pen. LOL

More pics will come as I continue to build this mammoth of a model. Can't wait to tackle a 3' Galactica or Pegasus, the wifes face will be priceless. :)
  3. Master-Bruce

I forgot to mention, to keep the fins and pylons from warping when they're getting laminated. I'm sandwiching them between thick card, then placing a box with 30Kg of Star Trek:Fact Files on top of them. :)

Hey Paulhbell, I told you I was sure they'd come in handy! LOL. Plus as I'm waiting for the parts to dry, I have plenty of reading material. Even if it isn't keeping with this topic. :)

I've got the other prong in place now and it's drying overnight. I also placed the centre pylon for another engine onto the fuselage, ready to accept the engine tomorrow.

We have progress people! :)
  4. Master-Bruce

Another small update. :)

Got the tail section done and added the pylons for the tail fins. Getting there now!

Also the fins are just about ready.

I'll have yet more done later on. Got to get my kids ready for bed now. Well, almost.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

lookin great bud!!
  6. Master-Bruce

Cheers buddy. :)

We're getting there but not at the end just yet. You'll enjoy this one. I hear that SJ is nearing the end now of both little AND large versions. I've found no new problems that require fixing so fingers crossed eh?
  7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Tutorial side-track

Nobi did a tutorial a whil back. It's in the downloads I believe in PDF format. I must admit I haven't read it, but I've seen it recommended several times.

I do plan on doing some tutorials for Meta and Pep in the future, but it's one of those too many projects, too little time things. It comes up often enough that I'm starting to seriously consider shelving a project or two and just making the tutorial happen.

I'll have to check out Truespace (thanks Skip).

As for the Liners, all the corrections have been made, and the instructions are ready, I just have to find time to generate the twelve different PDF's (6 color schemes, in two sizes each) and then get them posted.

8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

9. Master-Bruce

There you go. I'm sure I just heard Nothing go, "WooHoo!!" from here! I'm in the UK. LOL!
  10. Master-Bruce

Got a bit done today. I don't know how though, it's been like a mad house here.

One engine is still drying but I've put two others onto the hull. The smaller one looks a bit of a mess to me, I may remove it later and redo it by printing another one off. I'll see.

I'll get more done tomorrow, hopefully it'll be calmer 'round here. :) Hopefully.

11. Master-Bruce

I took a day out yesterday to do a bit of work on some other projects. I'll get back on this today and tonight now. Just two engines, two fins, two tail fins and she's done!

Then to design a stand for it. :)
  12. Master-Bruce

I just recieved a PM asking for tips for part 8 of the model. This caught me off guard too on the large version as they are "no-lines" versions.

Here's a pic to help point out where to score and fold. Fold these in on themself so that the points meet.

Then attach to part 9. :)

Hope that helps.
  13. This helps a lot!!! Thanks for being able to help.
  14. Master-Bruce

No worries. Glad to be of help.
  15. Master-Bruce

Just to bump this thread so that it doesn't drop into oblivion. :)

I've not finished this or forgot about it. I got myself caught up in some other things but today I aim to make some progress on the last few parts. I'll update later today. :)
  16. I am almost done with mine and I really like this ship.
  17. Master-Bruce

Great! Which one are you doing?
  18. The Olympic Carrier. I have always liked this ship. The only problem is my wife keeps referring to it as the cute little ship!!!:confused: Oh well I keep building as you all put them out. I will post a pic when she is done.
  19. Master-Bruce

Cool. I've not had a chance to get mine done yet. Too busy lately. :)
  20. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

oh boy! pictures from someone whos actually building these!(besides me)