BSG Olympic Carrier build.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hi guys,

Some of you may have been following the BSG fleet thread here titled,"I think Jays Galactica is lonely". You'll know that there are alot of BSG ships being covered in that thread and one of them is the Colonial Liner. There are 6 variants of this ship and one of them is the Olympic Carrier.

SJSquirrel is the man behind this model and he plans to release 2 versions for each variant. One is a very long 3' verion and the other will be a smaller more managable version.

Yesterday morning I recieved my beta copy of the Olympic Carrier. I love this ship and even scratchbuilt one lastyear which was also 3'. I've been quite excited about getting this model and couldn't wait to start it when SJ sent it to me.

The model parts are in a 32 page PDF, with a 33rd page for reference shots and a parts breakdown. I have no instructions as they wern't complete when he sent it to me but included some great reference images which are pretty much like instructions only without the part numbers.

The textures are fairly high res and printed at 100% with no problems. Well, I ran out of ink toward the end but other thn that everything is good.

Due to the size SJ designed an inner frame work to add support to this model which was a nice touch but a very good idea too. This is where I started my build.

Even without instructions the framework/bulkheads went together with no issues at all. SJ has included guides on these parts to make building easier. This first pic is of the forward bulkheads being assembled. I left out the rear sections for now. You'll see how I even recycled old printouts. ;)

For the bulkheads, I didn't glue the templates to thicker card for rigidness. I was a little impatient, but also didn't think it necessary. If I were to build another one(which I will), I would do this. I think 1mm card woud do the trick, just to be safe. I'd be real upset if something happened to this model that could have been avoided by adding proper support.

After the forward bulkheads I attached the base. This is made up of several sections due to the size and limits of A4 format. The bulkheads line up with the base and glue. Next came the process of adding the outer skin for the ships main hull.

I started with the nose. Assembling the nose section prior to adding to the base. This bit is tricky as it has to be straight and square. Once it's on though it becomes quite easy and straight forward providing you take your time. I progressed one tab at a time.

*TABS* There's an undersight here on my copy. Some tabs are missing altogether. I informed SJ so that any changes could be made prior to release. This is no problem though as tabs can easily be added or removed prior to removing a part from the sheet. Later today I'll upload some images to point out where tabs were missing. More for SJ's reference than anything else.

Once the nose section was on, I started to add another section of skin. This went on again with no problems and I see the ship taking shape. I couldn't get any more pics lastnight as my camera died. I'll try to get more today.

This is going to be a great build. :) More to come later.
  2. Master-Bruce

Woohoo! Cheap batteries do my camera no good. So much sving a penny or two eh? LOL

Took some pics of where I left the model lastnight. I love the colour scheme of this variant. For some reason they printed out really intense too. They don't look this vibrant on screen. Still, on to the pics. :)

You can see it coming together now. There are a few white areas that need addressing where the seams are. Need some new pens for that. I've also added a part onto the base, you can see it here. I attached this to give the model a bit more stability, make it more rigid. There's also another part that attaches to the front end base. Some sort of intake looking thing. This will also add solidarity to this ship, it needs it at this size!

There's a shell that sits atop the hull on the series, you barely see it. It wasn't included on the original fleet pack mesh we used for these BSG models. It can be seen though on the renders of the series mesh by ZOIC. You'll see it just overlapping the hull on the left hand side of the shot?

Olympic Pub3.jpg

Thankfully SJ added it when he prepped this mesh for use as a papermodel. That should also add to the strength of this when it's complete. Not just that but it'll look more authentic when it's done too. :) That'll be the last thing I add, it'll have to be as I didn't have enough ink to print those sheets properly. I'll get more ink and do those toward the end of the build.

Here's one more pic of my progress and one of a render of the mesh used for this model.

Olympic Beauty.jpg

Please, any comments are welcome. :)
  3. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

good lord thats awesome

thanks for the update i had forgotten all about it
  4. Master-Bruce

Thanks! :) :)

I'm just adding another section of skin/hull plating. Slow work there as I may have cut some of the support parts slightly out of the line or something. It's like stretching a trampoline canvas. One tab at a time works best. Not a design flaw though, error on my part. Though when it's all done it'll be tight enough to help prevent dents from handling I guess.

Can't say enough how much I'm lovin' this build. :)
  5. Master-Bruce

Corrections so far.

Here are the corrections I noticed so far that need to be done. Not many, most are tab related. There are areas where there are a few tabs missing but they make no real difference to the model so I've left them out. I've taken some screen grabs of the problem areas and highlighted the faults with red lines or text. Red lines indicate where tabs need to be.
    Part 4 above. The same goes for part 5.

The text indicates a numbering flaw on the "formers" bulkhead support. SJ, parts numbered FORMER 5 and FORMER 6 attach to each other when attaching the rear and front ends together right? That is if peoplebuild this following your guide. In that case the parts pictured below need their numbers changing as shown. Again a small problem that doesn't effect this model so far. :)

Still adding skin and extending the hull back. More pics later.
  6. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

This looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see the completed model.
  7. Master-Bruce

Thanks very much. It's coming along nicely. I've added another section, time to add the last part of the frame work, then onto another section of skin!

Soon my cooker hobs won't be big enough to photograph this monster on. LOL!
  8. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Looks absolutely fabulous - can't wait to build it myself now!

It is amazingly rewarding seeing someone build something I helped develop.

Very cool.

Many Thanks to jwhawk04, nothing Skupilkinson (and a pat on the back for myself too) for getting this project going and helping to keep it going.

Look forward to more pics.

9. Master-Bruce

You'll get them. ;)

I'm having a family night so nothing for tonight I'm afraid. I'll get right on it again tomorrow.

It's been a fun project to be part of. I can't wait to get another mesh to work on. I will have the fleet in my living room if it kills me!

Later guys. :)
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

People need to have more family nights, IMHO. Great job so far, Skupilkinson. :thumb:
  11. Master-Bruce

Thanks MF. Yeah so much for that Family night. The kids were asleep early, the wife not long after!! Now I'm too tired to make the most of the quiet time. LOL

Tomorrow morning it is then. :)
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

tired? did someone say tired?sleep.....need sleep.........oohhhohh sleep!

great job going there skip cant wait to see it done!!
  13. Master-Bruce

Thanks Nothing. I can't wait to see it done either! :)

I woke up this morning to a right mess in my kitchen, my Brother-in-law cooked supper last night. God he's a messy chef! Once I've straightened that out I'll have some room to get going again and hopefully finish the tail off before everyone else wakes up here.

I'm so glad I got on board for this BSG project of ours. It's been great to work on these models and build some of them.

New pics a bit later.
  14. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

Would love to build some of these huge ships but i don't have the space:( But this is an amazing looking ship anyway so good job and cant wait to see it finished.
  15. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Hence the small one

That's why we're putting out a regular version too - at least you should be able to build that one.

Skupilkinson, I've finally decided I may as well just fix all the issues and publish the corrected version. On reflection I have to admit If I don't do it now it just may never get done. I've corrected all the items you've indicated above. Keep me posted on any others - even minor ones if you want - just email me.

16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Nice build, Skip. Any more progress.

By the way, when did you break into my house and nick my kitchen worktops.
  17. Master-Bruce

Thanks for the compliments. I like the size but have to admit that as much as I'd like to, I probably won't be able to display all 6 3' Liner models. I have more models I'd like to build in large scales so need to bare thiose in mind. Maybe if I get that extension done??? LOL!

SJ, I'll be sure to keep track of them. I've made some changes to my printed sheets as I've been going. This is because I opted to build the hull as one object, as apposed to the two halves then joining them. So I won't mention those. I went this way as I misunderstood some things and started my frame 10mm too far forward of where it should have been. Makes no huge difference to the build but it meant I had to change my approach for the 2 halves thing. Woopsie! LOL

I haven't got anything done today to my frustration! I will do some tonight if it kills me! I don't want to lose momentum.
  18. Master-Bruce

Hey Paul,

Sorry buddy, missed you post first time round. Oops. Yeah those tops, I looked really wired lugging those things back to Wales! Surprised I didn't get rumbled! LOL

Thanks for the comments buddy, glad you like it! More pics in a few hours. I swear!
  19. Master-Bruce

I've been juggling too many balls tonight. Trying to do this and that.

Anyway, finally got some time to get going again. :) Woohoo!

I'm just adding the last section of skin to the hull now. He's my last pics before typing this out.

It's now 01:18hrs here, I'm not tired so I'll carry on until I'm dead on my feet. I'll move onto the large intake on the underbelly next.

Maybe post some pics in a few hours of that eh?
  20. Master-Bruce

I'm done for tonight. I've just realised that the clocks go back an hour too so I've wasted an opportunity for an extra hour in bed in the morning!! D'oh!!

Still, got the hull/fuselage done! So it's all good really. :) Take you time and it all goes together with no problems at all.

I also got the intake for the belly done too. Though I've not attached it yet. Glue's a bit wet so I'll leave it to dry fully over night(What's left of it anyway. LOL) then get it on tomorrow/later today.

Well, I think it's safe to say I've regained my momentum. :)

Later guys.

Zzzzzz Zzzzzz. LOL