Brushless motors the myths

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by mastmec, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastmec

mastmec Member

These points should clear up a lot of the misleading information on brushless motor systems and how $400.00 plus motors are going to save the hobby. Customers are being mislead. It is not only customers, but also people inside the industry. Brushless motor technology has existed for a very long time, but is still for the R/C car industry too expensive and there is still not one system that works flawlessly. There is not even one standard for making brushless motor systems so currently nothing is inter-changeable. The volume will never be high enough to have a low cost making it affordable which is the most important requirement. Read and you will learn!

You Only Need One Motor: FALSE, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in. No tuning options to allow you to maximize performance. It's easier to replace the whole deal.

Motors are Indestuctible: FALSE, brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty windings, debris entering the motor and heat. Magnets used on the rotor will demagnetize from use.

Torque & RPM Are The Same As Brushed: FASLE, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more than one brushless motor.

No Maintenance: FALSE, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, and damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail.

Batteries Do Not Matter: FALSE, batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries.

All Speedos Can Be Programmed For a Level Playing Field: FALSE, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference. Good quality packs will be essential. In the end, a "Team Driver" will still have the advantage due to speed controller programming knoledge, access to unpublished technology and the ability to jump the regulator that restricts the amp flow, undectable traction control, drivers will need a laptop to have their own 'secret' profiles set, special developed FET's ect.. This leaves the average racer out in the cold. It is much easier to just tech a "spec" brushed motor.

Brushless Performance: There will still be better motors than others due to manufacturing tolerances. No two speed controls for standard motors work the same and they have been making them for 25 years or longer. Remember the price on a brushless motor when you have to replace it because it does not perform as claimed. There is no way to increase performance other than in the speed control, out of the abilities of the normal racer. Tweaking and tuning your motor and "race car" will be a thing of the past. Race winners will now be decided by who's motor is the fastest out of the package. If its not yours, since there is zero you can do to improve the performance you may as well stay home and run by yourself in your driveway.
    Trinity
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

i have my own brushed motor systems.so do alot of people.you are just looking at what is on the market.you are pretty silly.
  3. atc1100rider

atc1100rider Member

silly hahahahahah silly hahaha thats awsome man
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

you say false to tourque and rmp being the same as brushed motors.sure you could say that but to say you give up one for the other is wrong.
  5. mastmec

mastmec Member

Tim, the motor system you have, is this the one you designed a long time ago? LOL Do you have anything, like info that is useful to anyone or do you just come in here to argue with everything? You say bad things to people and give your opinions about everything like your words are the majority of everyone, there not. You say people who don't like electric just don't know much about them, (like you do!!) If you don't know something, research it first, then argue with us about it, don't just argue with nonsence, it just adds to your stupidity factor.
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

yeah.like that makes any sense.
  7. Well put mastmec (both about brushless and tim).
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

you guys make no sense.i can see you dont understand the difference beteween brushed and brushless.

i will enlighten you

brushed motors have the earth magnets on the can.brushless motors have them on the shaft.
  9. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

so which is better? o and stop the fighting and give me a strait out intelligent answer cause some of u confusin me.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

pros and cons buddy
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

God Tim, your right, NOW I see the light!!!!! Where the magnets are, that is the mystery to it all.
    All listen, TIM has spoken!!
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

you mkae no sense mastec
  13. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

damn are you guys gonna knock it off any time soon I MYSELF dont know a hole alot about brushless setups but I do know is they go alot faster then motors that use brushes correct? And ou also have to use a special speed control? Ive seen a movie with a mini t useing a brushless motor and it rocked!
  14. timrock

timrock Active Member

yes you are right.brushless is better because you dont have brushes rubbing against the communtator which causes resistance.

this is the only reason people say they are faster.

the brushless systems that are avalible are very limited to the amount of cells you can run.

i run brushed motors and get much more power out of them than any stock brushless motor system because i can run more cells.however,the more cells you run,the more often you need to change brushes.

i plan to eventualy go with brushless motors but i have to customize the system to run the amount of cells i want to run.

that will be very expensive i should add.
  15. mastmec

mastmec Member

You can run up to 14 cells with one of the brushless motors, I don't think that is very limited as you put it.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

that is 7 cells per motor that is very limited.

7 cells is not much.i run 16 cells per motor
  17. monsterrcbuilder04

any of you see the new novak brushless systems
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

not sure.

how new is it?
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

No, 14 cells, one motor.
  20. monsterrcbuilder04

i dony know i think its a few months old but you can get one for the e-maxx and it uses 1 motor and is supposed to have more power than the 2 stock motors.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.