• Read the recent posts and go to my favorite sub-forums

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Generally go directly to my favorite sub-forums

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
How do you browse The Gauge..?? I've noticed that I generally stick to the recent posts and rarely go to a specific sub-forum. I've missed a few good threads since new posts can disappear from the recent posts listing in a matter of hours...and not find their way back....

N

nachoman

since the inception of the "front page" with recent posts listing, I find myself checking the recent posts 2-3 times per day. This has been great for me, because I wind up reading posts from forums that I would not normally frequent otherwise, and have learned many new wonderful things. :)

Kevin

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
I just start at the Gauge forum and work my way through the ones marked with new threads. I usually stay logged in and with a tab in Firefox always open to the main forum (forum.zealot.com/f6).

The Gauge

In the "Good old days" :rolleyes: I only used "new posts" to start off unless I was looking for something. Ever since "Z-day", that brings up a host of unwanted (by me), non-mrr posts to sort through. We have brought this up before and I'm not sure why Peter does not fix this unless it presents a real difficulty, or he just thinks we need to be exposed to "alternative lifestyles". :twisted: Just not into gobots and rc and ....

We even have a large number of railroad sub-forums relative to the volume of traffic, in my opinion. It's all fine, but personally, I think they don't enhance the forum. I'm sure everyone has "favorites", but I generally go through the ones that I don't necessarily relate to, for ideas and to see the modelling.

My ideal forum map?

1. HO includes HOn(whanever) and OO
2. Smaller N,Z
3. Larger S,O, Large
4. 1:1
5. DCC or Electrical
all with no smaller Subforums

...maybe (maybe) Tech
...maybe (really maybe) Layout Planning
(although those are scale-related more often than not,
and Electrical covers a lot of Tech, anyway)

Done griping!! (Like the man said: "Relax, it's just an opnion":mrgreen::mrgreen:) I keep coming back, anyway.:wave:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I go first to General and then work my way through the major sections, browsing for posts of interest. I usually finish up back at General checking for last minute posts, responses, or to see if I'm in trouble for anything. :cool:

Although I have specific scale-driven interests, interesting ideas and fantastic layouts are where I find them, no matter in what section or post. We have a lot of highly creative folks here doing terrific work, so while I might find less of interest on any given day, I am never bored or discouraged.

Just my two cents worth, after taxes, surcharges, service fees, depreciation and a small donation to move all politicians to the Antarctic.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Steamhead, I do log out. I know we are automatically logged out after a half hour of inactivity, but it stems from the old days of bbs's when you logged out to make room for somebody else.
Cidchase, if you go to user cp, then edit options, then exclude forums from getting new post, you can block the forums you don't want to see.

Loren

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Loren...I never log out..Nor am I booted off after 1/2 hour of inactivity...Sometimes it stays "lurking" in the background while I do other stuff for hours at a time....:mrgreen:.
(I don't close it 'cuzz I'm on dial-up, and re-booting it takes a little while...)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Most of the time I check "new posts since last login". Sometimes I look for specific items. I logout if I remember. Every few months I have to go and mark a bunch of posts "read" that I have nothing to contribute to or no interest.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Most of the time I check "new posts since last login". Sometimes I look for specific items. I logout if I remember. Every few months I have to go and mark a bunch of posts "read" that I have nothing to contribute to or no interest.
My settings must be different, because any unread posts disappear from my "New Posts" after one week. That, coupled with de-selecting non-railroad forums and the fact that I read any thread that might be of even marginal interest, means that i don't have a big buildup of unread threads.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
reading new posts

This thread brings up a question in this inquiring (mind) of mine. I can understand those that go direct to their sub forum. But, if you read all the new posts, wouldn't that cover all you would get to read without going then to a sub forum? Am I missing something here, more than just my mind? Of course I check in 8-10 times a day ( and post probably every couple weeks).

I don't know what's going on, but I gotta put something here to muddy the waters just a bit:rolleyes::confused:

Lynn

ScratchyAngel

Mar 25, 2008
Pullman, WA
I have no clue for others, but the clutter of transformers, etc and the odd time arrangement rather than forum makes it a bit like tearing up a copy of MR and reading the bits spread out on a table. Going through the forums one at a time gives me more context and I don't wind up seeing all the stuff that's new that I don't care about. All the entries on Battelships, star cruisers and tanks are like a bunch of ad pages, so it may not be faster, but it's more enjoyable to click through the forums based on the icons that tell me whether or not there's something to read in them.